Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

The Bears.

Didn't anyone follow the Hawks during the dollar Bill days? Or the Bulls post Jordan?

Liking Chicago sports teams is why fan is a derivation of fanatic. It's not logical, and is against the better judgement of reason. Chicago has terrible ownership who has a history of spitting in their fans faces. I think for a long time the Bears have just been inept, where as Jerry, and old man Wirtz before he passed, truly don't give a shit about the fans. They are money making business for them.

• Thanks 1

Just now, shakes said:

Didn't anyone follow the Hawks during the dollar Bill days? Or the Bulls post Jordan?

Liking Chicago sports teams is why fan is a derivation of fanatic. It's not logical, and is against the better judgement of reason. Chicago has terrible ownership who has a history of spitting in their fans faces. I think for a long time the Bears have just been inept, where as Jerry, and old man Wirtz before he passed, truly don't give a shit about the fans. They are money making business for them.

I remember my Dad taking me to bowling alley bars to watch home games on satellite. Dark days. 

I would have preferred Joc or Brantley, but this could have been worse for sure. Nothing to meltdown over. Eaton and Engel will form a perfectly fine platoon in RF...obviously “perfectly fine” is not anything we should be striving for, but it’s not going to get me nearly as upset as I see people here. My excitement for this team isn’t going to wane because of unexciting, yet solid, signings.

• Like 1

Sox therapy: I hate this move and hate almost every aspect about how this offseason has been approached. It makes me think the great things they did in the few years prior to this might have been, like, a complete accident? I hate that they're so willing to piss away money, on trash players, bounce-back candidates, and washed up veterans (in this case, all of the above) but cry poor when they have chances to take actual steps to improve the team. It's clear that lowering payroll in the early years of the rebuild was not an attempt to manage finances in preparation for a championship window run, to have the money when we needed it most, per se, but rather to pocket more profit because competing was not on the table. Now that competing is on the table, and we all felt we were on the verge of something special, the curtain is drawn back and we know the ceiling/limitations from the most powerful man in the building are no higher than they would be at any other point in history, and that all narratives to the contrary were always pure and utter fantasy.

Adam Eaton. Given all avenues available we went with Adam Eaton. 

1 minute ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

I remember my Dad taking me to bowling alley bars to watch home games on satellite. Dark days. 

Smoky bars for me. My dad even had me bring in candy to sell (fundraiser for little league), and it worked.

*That sentence highlights acceptable parenting in the 80's that would not fly today

19 minutes ago, flavum said:

And yet, people in baseball as a whole have never been nicer and more decent in the history of the game. It’s just that there is 24 hour sports radio and Twitter and social media. If Adam Eaton has ever truly crossed the line, I’m unaware. If the worst thing he ever did was say something stupid about LaRoche’s kid, then I’m way over that. 

People will forgive good players. The problem with Eaton is that he's an asshole and he absolutely sucks. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, shakes said:

I read it this way too. If LaRussa can't manage a clubhouse with Eaton on a one year contract, we are going to have bigger problems. I think Eaton the player fits better than the other options, and a veteran with sustained success can have a pass for last year. Joc is the profile that fails here nearly every time. Eaton's time will also need to be managed to keep him healthy, again something we have to accept that TLR can manage. 

Only giving him 7 million is a win. RF to me is a small hole and you should have average, with potential to be above average performance with Eaton and Engel. I think people have been underplaying outfield defense if you are going to try and jam in Eloy with a Brantley or Schwarber type. Robert is a God out there, but he can't cover for two butchers all season.

The savings, just like the Lynn deal, do need to be invested elsewhere though. Please keep signing pitching.

TLR has his issues, but managing a clubhouse will not be one of them. Just my opinion, and I was not a fan of the hire given who else was available. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just hope Abreu can get along with him now. As long as he can, everyone else will.

If you can't get along with Jose there's plenty wrong with you. Guy's a saint. 

Also, Eaton can be a tool but he's not a "cancer". Not even close. Has his guys and keeps to himself mostly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I would have preferred Joc or Brantley, but this could have been worse for sure. Nothing to meltdown over. Eaton and Engel will form a perfectly fine platoon in RF...obviously “perfectly fine” is not anything we should be striving for, but it’s not going to get me nearly as upset as I see people here. My excitement for this team isn’t going to wane because of unexciting, yet solid, signings.

It's really weird to me because these moves put us in a position where the next move or two could either justify a meltdown or end up with everybody being happy.

If our next move is Q, might be meltdown time.

10 minutes ago, macsandz said:

If you can't get along with Jose there's plenty wrong with you. Guy's a saint. 

Also, Eaton can be a tool but he's not a "cancer". Not even close. Has his guys and keeps to himself mostly. 

When Sox traded Eaton didn’t you intimate it wasn’t just about the rebuild but to get problem guys off team? What changed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

To be fair, they had a very veteran team. The opposite of ours.

Eloy will be in year 3.Moncada, TA, Abreu, Grandal all vets. Robert would need a translator to have an idea what he is saying. Madrigal doesn’t seem like a guy who will be bothered by this. Vaughn seems like his own man. 

If he was as poison as some want to think, to fit in their narrative, the White Sox wouldn’t have paid him the money. They know him better than we do.  There are going to be similarly priced guys. At his price point , he probably was the best choice. I think Dahl might have been even a better call as he was cheaper, and yong and controlled.