Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Well, like Eaton, I do pay my mortgage, so that gives me the right. 

Fair enough, but it isn't a bit contradictory saying the Sox are unlikeable because they added two guys you consider ass holes if you are an ass hole yourself?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Lulz @ the team using players as a human shield to hide behind in order to justify the signing. 

Truly reprehensible.

Yeah this really cracks me up. 

You sign a guy and immediately have Garfein write a puff piece arguing that he's not actually an asshole and then have another writer release a story saying don't worry guys, the sox talked to the players about the asshole they're signing and they said whatever , its fine. Not a great sign when you have to defend a signing two ways right after making it.

45 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Except three of those years amounted to about one year of playing time. 

Isn't hoping for return to health for thirty-something players who have been injury-prone for much of their careers....just so White Soxy? 

Otoh, if we can ignore stats that are not there due to injury, can we please erase Luis Robert's late season swoon and award him AL ROY? 

If Eaton can even put up a 2+ fWAR in 2021, it would be a huge win.   Of course, we'd then be relying on a one year older version in one of the most important years of the entire competitive window. 

Leave it to the White Sox to have their best team in decades sidelined by not being able to draw on the massive expected incoming (attendance/sponsorship) revenue increases we'd been banking on... 

They better hope they are not fading again by the time that recently extended five year broadcasting rights deal expires again.  As it stands, they've already missed the window of billion plus deals by 3-5 years...first, too late, and then too early with this latest round coming before they had a contending team again. 

The only more ill-timed fiasco was the Cubs with Marquee. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

He already returned to health. The first year was in the injury, which limited him to 90 some games the following year, he had a full year the third year and last year was covid. In any full year he is probably somewhere around a 3 WAR player. Saying he's one war player just isn't accurate.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah this really cracks me up. 

You sign a guy and immediately have Garfein write a puff piece arguing that he's not actually an asshole and then have another writer release a story saying don't worry guys, the sox talked to the players about the asshole they're signing and they said whatever , its fine. Not a great sign when you have to defend a signing two ways right after making it.

Actually I was happy to hear Fegan said the players were ok with it. We heard the exact opposite after Tony was hired. 

• Like 1

Just waiting for the 2020-21 versions of Gordon Beckham, Emilio Bonifacio and Zach Duke to fill out the earlier comps.

Shark=Lynn (NL vet)

Cabrera=Eaton (grizzled veterans)

Robertson=Hendriks (although Hendriks is obviously more of a pure stuff guy, compared to Robertson's cutter and knuckle-curve being his two out pitches)

You can pretty much bank on either Yadi Molina or Adam Wainright being Sox at some point.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Actually I was happy to hear Fegan said the players were ok with it. We heard the exact opposite after Tony was hired. 

It would be pretty amazing if LaRussa did something with the White Sox to get removed from the HoF.

That would be the perfect century-long bookend to Shoeless Joe Jackson in team lore.

It was bad (although understandable enough) with Fisk picking the Red Sox over the White Sox cap.  At least we got Baines with the iconic hat in there. 

And, with the way things are looking, Chris Sale is going to be on the outside looking in, although probably a 50/50 bet right now.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah, I think it would be really rare for a fellow union member to say don't pay that guy; especially when their boss asks them. I also don't think Timmy gives a shit about Adam Eaton, and Abreu likely isn't the kind of guy to blast anyone. Neither of those guys strike me as big drama queens.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It would be pretty amazing if LaRussa did something with the White Sox to get removed from the HoF.

That would be the perfect century-long bookend to Shoeless Joe Jackson in team lore.

It was bad (although understandable enough) with Fisk picking the Red Sox over the White Sox cap.  At least we got Baines with the iconic hat in there. 

And, with the way things are looking, Chris Sale is going to be on the outside looking in, although probably a 50/50 bet right now.

Wtf has happened to this board

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I think it would be really rare for a fellow union member to say don't pay that guy; especially when their boss asks them. I also don't think Timmy gives a shit about Adam Eaton, and Abreu likely isn't the kind of guy to blast anyone. Neither of those guys strike me as big drama queens.

I think Timmy would have no problem saying he doesn’t want Eaton around.  And if Abreu had an issue with him like WSD mentioned today, he would probably speak up as well.   FWIW, James Fox said today the Sox players were asked and didn’t want Puig last year.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wtf has happened to this board

Well, to suddenly be "for" Adam Eaton now after all the abuse that he's taken over the last 4-5 years on this message board is the equivalent of a QAnon member suddenly switching to Antifa.

And it's too bad they didn't ask Abreu or Anderson if they thought holding onto "He Who Shall Not Be Named" would be advisable...that would have made this whole World Series run a whole lot easier.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, to suddenly be "for" Adam Eaton now after all the abuse that he's taken over the last 4-5 years on this message board is the equivalent of a QAnon member suddenly switching to Antifa.

It was more about you saying it would be something if Tony messes up and gets booted from the HOF. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

None of this is helpful.  

It's going to be impossible to separate Eaton and LaRussa from the jobs they're doing between the lines to the various opinions people have about them politically...but that's the society we now have to deal with.

Frankly, I think most would forgive a LOT if we get another White Sox World Series championship out of it.

That said, if they don't perform or are underwhelming, that's when the political angle will certainly come out.

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

That's a really long post. What makes this team unlikable is the addition of some real low rent, right wing assholes. Eaton and LaRussa are assholes. Baseball wise, Eaton has regressed badly and Larussa is 109 years old. From a Chicago fan perspective, this sucks badly, no matter how you spin it. 

I don't care what their politics are. A lot of athletes are assholes for one reason or another. Eaton regressed from the 2019 season through the 2020 season. All 41 games... I'm willing to take a low-risk/high-reward bet on a turnaround.

I was not a fan of the TLR hire at all. I'm still not. But he's the manager now. He can manage the clubhouse, handle the basics, and let the team do their thing. 

TLR and a $7M Eaton signing aren't changing my positive outlook on this team overall. There's way too much to look forward to between the players, talent in the minor league system, and even new hires on the coaching staff, Katz, Cairo, Duncan... All solid choices with positive marks across baseball.