Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

13 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Would Joc really have cost that much more?

These guys traded for Mazara and put him in as the starting RF after a lionshare of evidence saying that he isn't good.   Their qualification for RF seems to be human being, left handed, OF.  

• Like 1

If Eaton and Joc are both healthy, I would take Eaton over Joc even at the same price.  People here are going to be surprised about how nice it is to have a battler and a tough out at the bottom of the lineup instead of a guy who hits HRs but gives a lot of ABs away.  We already have enough guys who are prone to giving ABs away.

• Like 1

A healthy Eaton enhances the teams ability to win in different ways.  If hes healthy this is a win.  If hes not then ot is what it is.  No way Joc is that much better.  Joc is a very flawed platoon player.  Sure he fits the situation here but both of these guys are way less than Springer.  Both also on 1 year deals are pretty small risk with pretty high reward potential.

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

A healthy Eaton enhances the teams ability to win in different ways.  If hes healthy this is a win.  If hes not then ot is what it is.  No way Joc is that much better.  Joc is a very flawed platoon player.  Sure he fits the situation here but both of these guys are way less than Springer.  Both also on 1 year deals are pretty small risk with pretty high reward potential.

If he is healthy.  That's the problem.  This guys has logged enough 60 day DL time to say that this is not a guarantee.  

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

If he is healthy.  That's the problem.  This guys has logged enough 60 day DL time to say that this is not a guarantee.  

I don't know. In 2017 he hit a wet base. That could happen to anyone.  i now read his ankle issue in 2018 may have initially been caused by his 2017 tumble. 2020 he broke a finger on a bunt.  If you look at his 2019 numbers and his last 2 seasons with the White Sox,  offensively he was he same player.  He's not George Springer. He isn't going to potentially hit you 35 homers like Joc, but there are hundreds of worse ways the Sox have spent $8 million.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

So like I said it's not that bad, lol.

It isn't that bad, but I understand the frustration. So many times we hear the Sox say or act like they are going for it and they always fail to go after the jugular. It's always such half assed. Go for it. Sign Springer or Bauer. Demoralize the rest of the division.  They aren't going to break the investors. If they are, just sell the team if you need the money. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It isn't that bad, but I understand the frustration. So many times we hear the Sox say or act like they are going for it and they always fail to go after the jugular. It's always such half assed. Go for it. Sign Springer or Bauer. Demoralize the rest of the division.  They aren't going to break the investors. If they are, just sell the team if you need the money. 

100%

The problem in this situation is the pandemic gives them a glowing excuse to cry poor that a lot of people will be too oblivious to question or see through. 

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

I expect him to be on the 60 day DL by June 1st.  Ageless wonder. 

As long as he doesn't run into Luis Robert, Nick Madrigal or Jose Abreu, a lengthy DL stint would be awesome, and result in an upgrade in RF, from Eaton to Engel/Garcia.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I do find it strange that this board has so internalized power hitter switching leagues as a problem, but over 30 y.o. outfielder on decline people feel so comfortable just copy/pasting their preferred career year stats into the 2021 lineup.

Scrappy, "intelligent" midget.

"Adam Eaton, nobody like ju in the White Sox clubhouse." "Be a man, not like a little guy"- Ozzie Guillen.

There was only one player Robin Ventura couldn't stand, Adam Eaton, because he is an absolute moron who would not listen to their instructions, including stop banging into walls when balls are 10 rows up from the field,  The Nationals paid him $1.5M to leave and the Sox will also pay him $1M to leave, because he is absolute garbage both on and off the field. They wasted $8M on an at best fourth outfielder because he checks Tony's "just like me" Boxes (old scrappy tool). They will run his 4-5 HR midget ass out there, just like they ran Parrot out there, because he was the paid player, not the best player and because he's a Tony guy. They could and should have also signed one of the several superior actual legitimate starting RF options at or near the same relative cost.

First order of business, hopefully in Spring Training when Tony steps down and a new manager approaches Adam Eaton.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

As long as he doesn't run into Luis Robert, Nick Madrigal or Jose Abreu, a lengthy DL stint would be awesome, and result in an upgrade in RF, from Eaton to Engel/Garcia.

Scrappy, "intelligent" midget.

"Adam Eaton, nobody like ju in the White Sox clubhouse." "Be a man, not like a little guy"- Ozzie Guillen.

There was only one player Robin Ventura couldn't stand, Adam Eaton, because he is an absolute moron who would not listen to their instructions, including stop banging into walls when balls are 10 rows up from the field,  The Nationals paid him $1.5M to leave and the Sox will also pay him $1M to leave, because he is absolute garbage both on and off the field. They wasted $8M on an at best fourth outfielder because he checks Tony's "just like me" Boxes (old scrappy pinche gringo). They will run his 4-5 HR midget ass out there, just like they ran Parrot out there, because he was the paid player, not the best player and because he's a Tony guy. They could and should have also signed one of the several superior actual legitimate starting RF options at or near the same relative cost.

First order of business, hopefully in Spring Training when Tony steps down and a new manager approaches Adam Eaton.

Ease up man.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

100%

The worst thing about the pandemic is it gives them a glowing excuse to cry poor that a lot of people will be too oblivious to question or see through. 

Yep this is THE WORST thing about the pandemic. 🤦🏻‍♂🤦🏻‍♂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

If Eaton and Joc are both healthy, I would take Eaton over Joc even at the same price.  People here are going to be surprised about how nice it is to have a battler and a tough out at the bottom of the lineup instead of a guy who hits HRs but gives a lot of ABs away.  We already have enough guys who are prone to giving ABs away.

He's also constantly dinged up, so maybe we won't be surprised about how nice that is

2 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

100%

The worst thing about the pandemic is it gives them a glowing excuse to cry poor that a lot of people will be too oblivious to question or see through. 

Losing a third of your revenue shouldn't change spending? Look at all sports. It's having its effect everywhere.

13 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

You have absolutely no idea that you are proving my point.

Proving your point that all teams will be cutting back on spending  due to the decrease in revenue? Ok, I agree.

Or are you saying they are pocketing all of the revenue generated by the fans last season?

• Like 1

They grabbed the guy they could sign.  If this is the worst move of the off season I'll be happy.  I believe this was a utility type move. Simple upgrade,  with some risk both if he's healthy and in the clubhouse or injured and away from the clubhouse. Waiting and coming up empty handed would have been worse. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Proving your point that all teams will be cutting back on spending  due to the decrease in revenue? Ok, I agree.

Or are you saying they are pocketing all of the revenue generated by the fans last season?

Would be curious to know what you think about this article

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-the-braves-can-tell-us-about-mlb-financial-losses-in-2020/

29 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Obviously the pandemic is going to have an effect on everything, I'm not denying that. But teams are still going to spend. Someone is still going to sign Bauer and someone is still going to sign Springer and they are likely both going to get a lot of money. The Sox have been incredibly profitable lately and have been operating on a skeletal budget. If anyone should be in a good position to pay for premium free agent, the Sox have to be towards the top.

They also lose some points on the benefit of the doubt because we know how cheap JR is and has been.

Edited by RagahRagah

Not sure how anyone can determine the Sox signed the RF "they could have signed", when we are literally one week into December, with zero other RFers signed at this point, The same juncture the Sox were last year when they traded for Mazara.

Again, if Eaton is a platoon player, and the White Sox sign a legitimate starting OFer, than it's just an overpay and if Eaton's world famous d-bag tendencies are checked by Tim, Jose and other "legit ballplayers", than whatever . If this is the extent of the White Sox hitting moves, it is just another Mazara band-aid, perhaps a child size butterfly band-aid. Just don't stand there touting a commitment to winning multiple championships. 

The Nationals have no legitimate RF, are also trying to win a World Series, know first hand his capabilities and decided it was better to pay him $1.5M to go away then commit the money the White Sox paid to acquire him. Also, don't reply he hit a meaningful WS HR. If that is the standard, then Geoff Blum should have played his final several years here and have a statute on the concourse. Ned Yost won a World Series, I don't want his dumbass here either.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure how anyone can determine the Sox signed the RF "they could have signed", when we are literally one week into December, with zero other RFers signed at this point, The same juncture the Sox were last year when they traded for Mazara.

Again, if Eaton is a platoon player, and the White Sox sign a legitimate starting OFer, than it's just an overpay and if Eaton's world famous d-bag tendencies are checked by Tim, Jose and other "legit ballplayers", than whatever . If this is the extent of the White Sox hitting moves, it is just another Mazara band-aid, perhaps a child size butterfly band-aid. Just don't stand there touting a commitment to winning multiple championships. 

The Nationals have no legitimate RF, are also trying to win a World Series, know first hand his capabilities and decided it was better to pay him $1.5M to go away then commit the money the White Sox paid to acquire him. Also, don't reply he hit a meaningful WS HR. If that is the standard, then Geoff Blum should have played his final several years here and have a statute on the concourse. Ned Yost won a World Series, I don't want his dumbass here either.

The Astros are trying to win and they let Springer walk. The Dodgers are trying to win and they traded Joc last year and let him walk this year. That has nothing to do with it. The last time the game was normal, Adam Eaton was the starting RF, and of the World Champions, and he damn near was the WS MVP.