Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

Speaking of burner accounts, I can't believe Look at Ray Ray has more reputation points than I do. That can't be right. Can a mod please check and make sure he isn't liking his own posts with a burner account to stack his reputation points?

Whatever, his post-to-reputation ratio is basically the same as mine. His is slightly better than mine currently, but mine is better in reality when you take away his fraudulent reputation points. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Speaking of burner accounts, I can't believe Look at Ray Ray has more reputation points than I do. That can't be right. Can a mod please check and make sure he isn't liking his own posts with a burner account to stack his reputation points?

Whatever, his post-to-reputation ratio is basically the same as mine. His is slightly better than mine currently, but mine is better in reality when you take away his fraudulent reputation points. 

You forgot to add the “please like this plea portion” of this post.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

You forgot to add the “please like this plea portion” of this post, also.

You must be the person who just gave me reputation on a bunch of my posts! Thank you sir!

Hit the heart button in the bottom right side of my post if you enjoy the content. Thanks, folks. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You must be the person who just gave me reputation on a bunch of my posts! Thank you sir!

Hit the heart button in the bottom right side of my post if you enjoy the content. Thanks, folks. 

I would if the poop emoticon was added.

Come to think of it, that’d be an honor... creating a “who pooped the day” metric on here.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Eaton is not the beat all end all as they say, BUT in my opinion he is an upgrade from Mazara, not a big upgrade but an upgrade. 

If this deal nets us Brantley and Hendricks, its a great move if money was an issue and by signing Adam, gives Hahn the extra cash to go get Brantley and Hendricks great. 

Do or did I want Springer and Bauer?? Of course I did or even still do. But you JR, he's not going to pay $150 to $200 million for either of them. Adding Lynn gives us the Starter we needed last year to pitch game 3. Oh well, we had a shitty manager who didn't know how to manage pitching or a bullpen. 

Now, even though he's old and he like his cocktails, and not my 1st choice for a manager, he does know how to manage a game and a bullpen and starters. 

If we get Hendricks or bring back Colome, along with Bummer, and the rest of the young studs, Huer, Fry, Marshall, Crochet, Marshall, and Cordero.  we have a bullpen that a lot teams would want to go to war with. If Kopech, Cease or by some miracle Lopez can emerge as  decent 4's or 5's and we get one more innings eater as a #4 we can live with Eaton. 

We still have Engel as defensive replacement  for Eloy in left or this team is even deep enough, if and this is a big IF Eaton is 2016/2017 Eaton, we will be fine. 

Backup catcher could become a problem. McCann won't be back. We have 2 guys that we may need to count on as the backup. Zack, Yermin or Seby need to step up if a veteran at good price can't be obtained. Who knows who gets cut in Spring Training. 

There are some #4's and #5's still out there that also could be a bargain.

We may not win it this, or we will. I believe we a definitely playoff bound and even win the Central. Too much talent not to, especially if we get 2019 Moncada and  Grandal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Route efficiency is actually real easy to measure. Off the bat there's a direct line to the ball. How much you deviate from that path  can be measured.

That's exactly what I said. But I was questioning how efficiently a runner uses his speed to get to a ball. You can run a very direct route but run slower if your eye is always on the ball. The very best OF may not look at the ball as much but run faster to his top speed but his route may waver. Obviously the different kind of flyballs also affect  that. Line drives using lateral movement or coming in pretty much require eyes on the ball at all times. And CFers would be more efficient with their speed because they don't have to worry about slowing down  for foul balls approaching the stands. The deep drives going back on balls over your head or into the gaps are the ones I was wondering just how its possible to see if an OF is using his speed efficiently and ability at the wall isn't something that's probably measured either. Robert has great speed and instincts but had some problems at the wall which I'm sure he will get better at.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, bmags said:

Wow that's amazing. Sox fans saying "wow if we just get average production after getting awful production last year, we are great" just works out every time doesn't it? This was the exact line people said about melky cabrera, and boy, this is a melky cabrera signing.

I fully agree with what you’re saying, but the big difference here is we’re only committing to one year of Eaton vs. three years of Melky.  That’s the one plus coming out of this.

8 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

We need a recount!!

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's exactly what I said. But I was questioning how efficiently a runner uses his speed to get to a ball. You can run a very direct run but run slower if your eye is always on the ball. The very best OF may not look at the ball as much but run faster to his top speed but his route may waver. Obviously the different kind of flyballs also affect  that. Line drives using lateral movement or coming in pretty much require eyes on the ball at all times. And CFers would be more efficient with their speed because they don't have to worry about slowing down  for foul balls approaching the stands. The deep drives going back on balls over your head or into the gaps are the ones I was wondering just how its possible to see if an OF is using his speed efficiently and ability at the wall isn't something that's probably measured either. Robert has great speed and instincts but had some problems at the wall which I'm sure he will get better at.

I don't know if it's used anymore in coaching circles, since there's more data driven metrics, but it used to be referred to as 'spot recognition'. Instinctive outfielders will identify the 'spot' they need to get to and put their head down and get there. Mike Cameron used to be used as the example as the best at this, it's what made him such a good outfielder and a part of what allowed him to play so shallow. It was another way to reference angles and efficiency. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I fully agree with what you’re saying, but the big difference here is we’re only committing to one year of Eaton vs. three years of Melky.  That’s the one plus coming out of this.

And Melky spent most of his time hitting 2nd or 3rd in the lineup.  Engel, should at least spend his time hitting, 8th or 9th?  You'd think at least?  Having an average hitter hitting 3rd is bad.  Having an average hitter hitting 8th, is less so.

5 minutes ago, shakes said:

I don't know if it's used anymore in coaching circles, since there's more data driven metrics, but it used to be referred to as 'spot recognition'. Instinctive outfielders will identify the 'spot' they need to get to and put their head down and get there. Mike Cameron used to be used as the example as the best at this, it's what made him such a good outfielder and a part of what allowed him to play so shallow. It was another way to reference angles and efficiency. 

Yes, most good outfielders won't track a baseball during its flight. They'll turn and burn to a spot, find the ball and adjust if they have to. 

Center field, due to the ball not tailing as it does in right and left, is actually much easier for this type or play. If you're a career center fielder the hardest adjustment when moving to a corner is exactly that. I've always personally felt that center was the easiest outfield position for me to play because of that, despite having to cover twice as much ground. With the exception of a liner right at you in center, the ball generally travels much more true in center. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

And Melky spent most of his time hitting 2nd or 3rd in the lineup.  Engel, should at least spend his time hitting, 8th or 9th?  You'd think at least?  Having an average hitter hitting 3rd is bad.  Having an average hitter hitting 8th, is less so.

Definitely.  It’s not an ideal signing, but it’s pretty clear the budget isn’t as robust as it could be and at least they’re leaving themselves open for a future improvement in RF by not going multi-year here.

23 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Pure speculation, but it wouldn’t shock me if we see Eaton bat 2nd

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pure speculation, but it wouldn’t shock me if we see Eaton bat 2nd

Eaton better be posting one hell of an OBP before Tony does that... I just can't see Tony doing that. TA and Yoan and stars and staples of this team Eaton won't come in here and steal Yoan's spot right away. 

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, most good outfielders won't track a baseball during its flight. They'll turn and burn to a spot, find the ball and adjust if they have to. 

Center field, due to the ball not tailing as it does in right and left, is actually much easier for this type or play. If you're a career center fielder the hardest adjustment when moving to a corner is exactly that. I've always personally felt that center was the easiest outfield position for me to play because of that, despite having to cover twice as much ground. With the exception of a liner right at you in center, the ball generally travels much more true in center. 

True to a point, but the differentiator in CF is the ability to come in or go back, That's where KW, a former outfielder himself, carried that philosophy and thought a 57 year old Griffey and Rob Machowiak could be regular CF's. 

4 minutes ago, shakes said:

True to a point, but the differentiator in CF is the ability to come in or go back, That's where KW, a former outfielder himself, carried that philosophy and thought a 57 year old Griffey and Rob Machowiak could be regular CF's. 

Most great center fielders play very shallow now-a-days, but some prefer coming in on baseballs. Luis is actually a real interesting study as he appears more comfortable into the allys and coming in on the ball, and he's so fast he can play deeper than most; which for an elite center fielder, he does. 

Andruw Jones made playing ridiculously shallow famous because there's never been an outfielder in the history of the game that went back on baseballs like him. He was able to read the sound better than anyone i can remember and could almost tell you how far a ball was bit without even looking at it. 

Keirmeir is incredible at reading a swing - which can confuse and trick plenty of other outfielders. Kevin is so good at reading swings that he has multiple instances in his career where his reaction time has literally been a negative number.

1 hour ago, shakes said:

Right and those were the OFers I said were rare . I just couldn't recall the term used for it. Thank you. Very few use spot recognition very well. Some can do it a little  but have to take a few looks on the way  and some can't do it at all with eyes always on the ball .  I think the guy running to the spot from his first initial look makes the best use of his speed but may not run the best route to the ball because at the last moment when he looks up again to catch it he may veer or swerve . Some route inefficiency is OK if you use your instincts rather than your eyes to maxmize your speed to the ball and run like a sprinter head straight ahead arms and legs churning,  rather than running with your head up eyes on the ball which is an inefficient and slower way to run. Maybe it all evens out but route efficiency is the thing getting measured by statcast and it may not tell the whole story which is why people get uncomfortable with some defensive metrics.

That was the crux of me 1st bringing it up when Ray Ray pointed out how bad Eaton's routes are and why that particular defensive metric doesn't tell the whole story. We need reminders once in a while that there are reason to question defensive metrics and I have always done that starting mostly with pitch framing.  Things have to be broken down into parts and looked at in context to judge abilities like chasing flyballs or framing pitches.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

50 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

See we agree then "turn and burn and adjust" . The "adjust" part may make his route efficiency look worse but a guy with less instinct to turn and burn and adjust might have great route efficiency because his eye is always on the ball but that isn't a good way to run to make the most of your speed.

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

See we agree then "turn and burn and adjust" . The "adjust" part may make his route efficiency look worse but a guy with less instinct to turn and burn and adjust might have great route efficiency because his eye is always on the ball but that isn't a good way to run to make the most of your speed.

There are three measures done;

route efficiency is just one of them and it's important. Sprint speed when tracking is also tracked; average speed is also tracked. If you slow you'll be docked naturally even if you have high route efficiency. Someone who is incredibly efficient in their routes can make up for a lack of elite speed, while someone with elite speed can make up for a lack of route efficiency.

I'd argue most professional outfielders are turn and burners, but obviously their ability to pick the right spot varies. Outfielders who track through the duration of the ball path are considered to be fading to the ball which most all coaches will try to teach out of you in college and the pros.

1 hour ago, shakes said:

Yeah, but those losers didn't have the coaching brilliance and mentorship of The Great Daryll Boston. After all, he made the most of his ability as a player himself, and was really baseball smart.

On top of that, look at all the great defensive OFers this org turned out under his tutelage? He really knows how to bring out the best in his players. This org is truly blessed to have him here.

12 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Being the benevolent staff that we are, we have reviewed your reputation count history and awarded you what was appropriate for your posting history.  There is no appeal process.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1