Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I like him better than Joc to tell you the truth. If you read our Chuck's article on him, Howie Kendrick paints a different picture of Adam Eaton the teammate than is usually posted here.

But until 2020 he was at least a .360 OBP guy who can give you a little pop, and can hold his own in RF, although not elite like he was.

If you aren't willing to  shop at Nieman Marcus, this is a good TJ Maxx deal.

But unless there is some elite bullpen arm or something else I am missing coming, not netting one of Springer or Bauer, is a failure IMO.

It’s just sad that we’re shopping in the clearance isle.  The Adam Eaton of old would have been a decent fit, but I’m just not sure we’re getting that same player.  I’d much rather have Joc in all honestly, although perhaps they add both and rotate a bunch of guys at DH.  Couldn’t hurt to have some depth in the corners.

As a player, I'm okay with this.  If he can stay healthy, RF will be well-covered.  And at only $7M, it leaves room for BP help and possibly another starter.

I think the clubhouse as a whole was a shitshow when he was here last, and although he was a part of that, he's coming to a great clubhouse with respectable leaders.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

2019 Adam Eaton - 107 wRC+

2019 Joc Pederson - 127 wRC+

2020 Adam Eaton - 77 wRC+

2020 Joc Pederson - 88 wRC+

Adam Eaton - 32 years old

Joc Pederson - 28 years old

Joc plays only against RHP.  Eaton can do both..  I'm fine with those small discrepencies for that.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Worse than who?  Certainly not worse than anyone else we've been throwing out there.  The only guy you could point to (besides Springer) that you can make an argument is a better fit is Joc.  And that is no slam dunk.  Joc is coming off a .190/.285/.395 season good for -0.1 fWAR.  Eaton wasn't any better in 2020, but its not like Joc was some home run signing.  The rest of the options suck balls at defense.  

Wow that's amazing. Sox fans saying "wow if we just get average production after getting awful production last year, we are great" just works out every time doesn't it? This was the exact line people said about melky cabrera, and boy, this is a melky cabrera signing.

I'm throwing away Eaton's 2019 co-vid short season. He has more than enough of a track record to show that was an outlier season for him. The defense isn't elite anymore after that knee injury, but he is still solid enough in the OF. And the bat is miles better than Mazara. 

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Adam declined offensively every year he was on the Nats.  Add in the fact that his defense has gone bye bye and I'm not sure what there really is to like besides the fact he's not Mazara.

He had two seasons near .400 OBP and 2019 was .365. HE S|UCKS

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Only one of those still applies. he hasn't been good in years.

.365 career OBP with Washington.  That would have been good for 2nd on the Sox last season.  .279/.365/.427 good for 2.3 fWAR in 2019.  Hasn't been good in years is just wrong.  

Yeah, he was bad in a shortened 2020.  Which is why he could be had for 1/$7M.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Wow that's amazing. Sox fans saying "wow if we just get average production after getting awful production last year, we are great" just works out every time doesn't it? This was the exact line people said about melky cabrera, and boy, this is a melky cabrera signing.

This is reminding me so much of that offseason 

Samardzija - Lynn

Melky - Eaton

Robertson - Hendriks

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Joc plays only against RHP.  Eaton can do both..  I'm fine with those small discrepencies for that.

Small descrepancies my dude those numbers mean Joc was 20% better than Eaton in 2019 and 11% better than him in 2020, even in joc's "terrible year". And Joc was great in the playoffs.

I'm sorry to inform you all that adam eaton didn't get cryogenically frozen in 2016. Time has continued on for us all.