Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow that's amazing. Sox fans saying "wow if we just get average production after getting awful production last year, we are great" just works out every time doesn't it? This was the exact line people said about melky cabrera, and boy, this is a melky cabrera signing.

Yeah, we don't really need a superstar RF.  We need a superstar SP.  

I get why you don't love it, but I think you're being a tad irrational here and Joc isn't really any better of an option.  Short of Springer or a trade emptying the farm, there were not a ton of excellent options and Eaton was right there with Joc as the "best of the rest".  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's great, Adam Eaton went on Chicago radio and said the White Sox lost their team leader when Drake LaRoche was kicked out of the clubhouse. A grown man was calling a child the clubhouse leader. When he was called out on this following the incident, it resulted in a fist fight.

Todd Frazier is one of the most liked guys around the game; he considers Eaton to be the biggest asshole in baseball. I'll trust Frazier on this one.

Eaton was also bad last year, can never stay healthy, and has no pop in right field. He's also a declining defender.

IIRC, there were also whispers when he came to us from Arizona about issues in the clubhouse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m really shocked by this move to say the least. I really thought that Joc was going to be the guy. Something must have changed overnight. I don’t know maybe I’ll warm up to it eventually but now not so much. 

See now why Al's and Portillo's are a waste of time? Neither had Lynn or Eaton. Next

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He was also worse than Mazara in 2020. Eaton is coming off a .226/.285/.669 triple slash with a -0.5 fWAR, right? At least Mazara was above water at 0.2. 

So was Joc. At least he has a track record of hitting, and he hit pretty well in 2019 and in 2018 although he got hurt in 2018. But he is 9 months older than Springer. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, we don't really need a superstar RF.  We need a superstar SP.  

I get why you don't love it, but I think you're being a tad irrational here and Joc isn't really any better of an option.  Short of Springer or a trade emptying the farm, there were not a ton of excellent options and Eaton was right there with Joc as the "best of the rest".  

Wow, you win. I'm convinced.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, flavum said:

If he had never played for the Sox but put up the same numbers elsewhere, more people would like this move. I think it’s pretty good. Stop lunging for first base running down the line.

What is good about the White Sox filling their two biggest holes without spending any money?

I thought the White Sox were going to spend money this off-season. I guess they are technically "spending."

Can't wait for our big acquisition to be a closer lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

So was Joc. At least he has a track record of hitting, and he hit pretty well in 2019 and in 2018 although he got hurt in 2018. But he is 9 months older than Springer. 

Adam eaton being bad in 2020 is ok because Joc was also bad but less bad, but joc being bad in 2020 is bad because he was worse than Mazara. 

And Eaton showing decline in 2019 is...well, Joc was bad in 2020.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I get Joc might hit 40 homers, but he is the type of guy who seems to really struggle when he gets to the Sox. Switching leagues swing and miss guy. Plus, this way, JR has a couple more million to take with him to the grave.

This strikes me as a “he won’t strike out too much against the Indians and Twins” as a lefty hitter acquisition.

It seems the Sox definitely aren't spending much this offseason. I'm assuming a decent reliever or two (assume Colome comes back) and maybe they'll bring up Vaughn halfway through the year and rotate the DH before that. Maybe Yermin gets a shot though I doubt it.

All told this is pretty typical White Sox free agency. Eaton sure as hell isn't going to put up 6 WAR again. He'll probably slot around 0-1 and they'll move on from him in 2022. At that point it's Adolfo or Colas, because the free agent list isn't great from what I see - Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham, Starling Marte, Corey Dickerson, Nick Castellanos (opt-out), Charlie Blackmon (player option), Andrew McCutchen (club option).

This team is going to be carried on the backs of their home grown players. They won't be getting much long-term star-level help unless they luck into someone. I don't see this trend resulting in a perennial contender over the next 5 years. It's disappointing for sure.

• Like 1