Nomar Mazara vs Adam Eaton (2020)

Look at Ray Ray Run

The White Sox did not tender Nomar Mazara for 5 million because he was bad last year. He accumulated a .2 fWAR in 42 games. Bad.

The White Sox have just signed Adam Eaton to "fill their right field hole" as Chuck Garfein put it. They gave him 7 million dollars. In 2020, Adam Eaton had a -.5 fWAR.

There's a very good chance the White Sox just gave more money to a shittier player going forward. This organization is hopeless.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

On what?

Chuck is already selling Eaton as the guy in RF. Their big splash is going to be a pointless closer. Just amazing.

I still think the move that needs to be made is to sign Bauer and have said that since the season ended.  I know very few here think it will happen but until he signs elsewhere, I have hope.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well, his three year trends are not good, bad, and awful.

Eaton also just called into AM 1000 and hung up the phone after a question he didn't like lolol

If he played a full season he was on a 3.2 WAR pace in 2018 and put up a 2.3 WAR in 2019 and was good enough to be a regular on a WS winner. The decline isn't so massive. A couple of the players they were looking at were not as good as Mazara in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well, his three year trends are not good, bad, and awful.

Eaton also just called into AM 1000 and hung up the phone after a question he didn't like lolol

I think he requested no Tony LaRussa questions. So they gave him a Tony Larussa question and he's the jerk.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he played a full season he was on a 3.2 WAR pace in 2018 and put up a 2.3 WAR in 2019 and was good enough to be a regular on a WS winner. The decline isn't so massive. A couple of the players they were looking at were not as good as Mazara in 2020. 

Adam Eaton never plays full seasons - he's always hurt.

Guys who get hurt a lot age worse.

He's not getting younger and every sign points to further decline.

You can't sell me on this one Dick, this is an atrocious move that has everyone around the game shaking their head.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Capital G said:

You're comparing 1 shortened year and leaving out the past 3 comparing the 2 players? 

How's was Joc's season in 20?

To me it was Springer as #1. If not him Eaton falls in line with the remaining options. 

Amazingly enough Joc was somehow BETTER than Eaton last year.

Eaton falls in line with nothing; he's a bad defensive outfielder. If that was the move then they should have signed Brantley.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Amazingly enough Joc was somehow BETTER than Eaton last year.

Eaton falls in line with nothing; he's a bad defensive outfielder. If that was the move then they should have signed Brantley.

And he’s not a run producer.  I do think he’s better defensively than Brantley or Schwarber.

Eaton has more than enough of a track record to indicate 2019 was an outlier, co-vid riddled season for him. He isn't the 5+ WAR player he once was, but he is definitely still solid enough with the bat. I just question his durability. He is just too injury prone for my liking (not counting the clubhouse issues here). I have no doubts he'll bounce back with the bat though but for how many games....

I posted this in other thread but maybe worth posting here.....

So I don't like this move just like most of you on here. However, I'm going to take a different angle to this Adam Eaton  Signing. So your choices right now for free agent right fielders were down to Brantley, Pederson,  And a guy like Eaton. Brantley and Pederson or not going to take a one year deal.  Truly you really shouldn't be giving either one of those guys a 3 to 4 year deal. Brantley maybe in severe decline after next year and Pederson has really done nothing to deserve a 3 to 4 year deal. 

Maybe, the thought process here is sign somebody like eaten to a one year deal for cheap and then you go out next year and either through trade or free agent market sign somebody that's a long term solution.

Interested to get your thoughts on what I think maybe happening here.

30 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Eaton has more than enough of a track record to indicate 2019 was an outlier, co-vid riddled season for him. He isn't the 5+ WAR player he once was, but he is definitely still solid enough with the bat. I just question his durability. He is just too injury prone for my liking (not counting the clubhouse issues here). I have no doubts he'll bounce back with the bat though but for how many games....

Yup. He had a 260 BABIP last year when his career average BABIP is over .330. You put him in Madrigal 8-9 after our 1-7 and we are the toughest lineup in the AL. Sox fans weren't ready  for the inevitable scenario where the Sox fill their holes without signing Springer/Bauer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

At this point in his career, isn't Adam Eaton essentially Scott Podsednik with an arm?

Also, throwing out 2020 Eaton stats also means you have to throw out Mazara's 2020 stats.

I was willing to give Mazara a pass for 2020.  His expected arbitration was just too high, especially with the market flooded with veteran RF

We're talking about an 8 hole hitter here. If he has a good year you can maybe think about him leading off.

I think people here got spoiled with the Springer talk. Adam Eaton in the 8 hole is pretty fuckin solid to me. Could be a fun little 8/9 with him and Madrigal to turn the lineup over to the good bats. 

• Fire 2

55 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

So to justify Eaton being a good move we have to literally throw out his last two years - post 30 - of his career? In 2019 Adam Eaton was the 16th best rated RF'er - of 24 - in 2019. Adam Eaton isn't an upgrade; he absolutely was not someone you had to go out and sign this early in free agency to sure up a position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I posted this in other thread but maybe worth posting here.....

So I don't like this move just like most of you on here. However, I'm going to take a different angle to this Adam Eaton  Signing. So your choices right now for free agent right fielders were down to Brantley, Pederson,  And a guy like Eaton. Brantley and Pederson or not going to take a one year deal.  Truly you really shouldn't be giving either one of those guys a 3 to 4 year deal. Brantley maybe in severe decline after next year and Pederson has really done nothing to deserve a 3 to 4 year deal. 

Maybe, the thought process here is sign somebody like eaten to a one year deal for cheap and then you go out next year and either through trade or free agent market sign somebody that's a long term solution.

Interested to get your thoughts on what I think maybe happening here.

I'm done letting the White Sox tell me they're kicking the can down the road.

This all would be a reasonable take - thinking they genuinely didn't like the OF market and like someone next year - had they not traded an asset for a one year SP rental.

By trading for Lynn, the White Sox signaled that they were all-in for next year. If you're all-in and going into next year with an embarrassingly low payroll, then why should anyone believe this team will ever spend? They were supposed to lift the payroll when the window opened, instead they "filled" their two most glaring holes with guys who cost - combined - 2 million dollars more than Jon Jay and Yonder Alonso.

32 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yup. He had a 260 BABIP last year when his career average BABIP is over .330. You put him in Madrigal 8-9 after our 1-7 and we are the toughest lineup in the AL. Sox fans weren't ready  for the inevitable scenario where the Sox fill their holes without signing Springer/Bauer.

No lineup with Adam Eaton and Nick Madrigal is the toughest lineup in the AL; it's certainly not better than the Yankees lineup.

And what are you talking about? The Sox didn't just not sign Bauer/Springer, they signed a guy that a team whose trying to contend - the Nationals - didn't even want to pay 9 million dollars to. Saying people are upset because it wasn't Springer is a joke; Adam Eaton wasn't one of the 4 best available right fielders. You can just ignore the last two years of his career if you want to pretend he's someone else, but those years happened. He's never healthy and guys who struggle with injuries age worse than guys who don't. It's very possible the White Sox just signed a well below average starting outfielder to "fill out" their roster in a season in which they're all in... but please, tell us how it was such a great move.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I still think the move that needs to be made is to sign Bauer and have said that since the season ended.  I know very few here think it will happen but until he signs elsewhere, I have hope.

Lynn was the move to give them cover for not getting Bauer, but that's likely to blow up in their faces.