Hot Stove Closer Talk

KrankinSox

30 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

This is believable to me as Closer is one position the Sox truly value, and have actually spent money and resources on since trading Addison Reed.   Referring to the big contract to Davidson and trading a ton of value in Narvaez.  

Big fan of Matt Davidson's career renaissance, huh? ;)

Assuming you meant Robertson, I agree - I hope this is where they go big and spend what they need to to get Hendriks. Would love to have him anchor our pen.

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Big fan of Matt Davidson's career renaissance, huh? ;)

Assuming you meant Robertson, I agree - I hope this is where they go big and spend what they need to to get Hendriks. Would love to have him anchor our pen.

Well it did kind of bring things full circle with Addison Reed being traded for Matt Davidson, but yes I meant Robertson.  

Too many first name-son last names, I tell ya.

• Haha 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d assume he starts the year in Charlotte on a strict innings limit and comes up after a month or two depending on length of season.

I’m all for it. I think Kopech is going to be a rockstar. Just have to make sure they take care of him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hendriks would be a great get. Lots of outlets reporting on him, which makes me not feel all that confident it's actually a thing. Sox never seem to land anyone that gets reported on having a connection to them.

Weren't they connected to Lynn a lot since last trade deadline?

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hendriks would be a great get. Lots of outlets reporting on him, which makes me not feel all that confident it's actually a thing. Sox never seem to land anyone that gets reported on having a connection to them.

yesterday Adam Eaton was reported 4 different places

I'd rather the Sox stack the bullpen with a pair of high end arms than add another starter really. Cover the last two spots with Cease, Kopech and Steiver, limit their innings as necessary and hand it over to an eight man bullpen stacked to the gills. I probably have more confidence in Kopech stepping in than most though. If you can get those two plus Quintana all the better. I think Q could do all right out of the bullpen if Cease and Kopech can bump him out of the rotation, but if its one or the other I'd go with two of Hendriks, Colome, and Hand if possible. Not sure if any of those guys would be amenable to signing on with another closer on board though, but money does talk

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I'd rather the Sox stack the bullpen with a pair of high end arms than add another starter really. Cover the last two spots with Cease, Kopech and Steiver, limit their innings as necessary and hand it over to an eight man bullpen stacked to the gills. I probably have more confidence in Kopech stepping in than most though. If you can get those two plus Quintana all the better. I think Q could do all right out of the bullpen if Cease and Kopech can bump him out of the rotation, but if its one or the other I'd go with two of Hendriks, Colome, and Hand if possible. Not sure if any of those guys would be amenable to signing on with another closer on board though, but money does talk

They have the money to sign a backend starter for a year and two bullpen pieces. 40 million came off the books this offseason and we've signed back 18 so far. 

9 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Everyone is due some big raises though. Pretty sure most of that is eaten up. 

Yeah but payroll should have increased anyway. If the 40 million is going to raises and the two guys we just signed, there should be more money because we had a lower payroll to begin with.