Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

By no means am I excusing them being cheap, but if Brantley gets 2/30, that would not have made sense for the Sox

I don't really understand why Brantley was the guy they targeted. I really worry they are being way too myopic on the RF search ("must be LH bat good against Indians"). I think most on board wouldn't want that to come at cost of an outfield defense that bookends robert with trash, and we already have a great offense.

I mean maybe last year when our whole season was against the AL central that would have been helpful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

By no means am I excusing them being cheap, but if Brantley gets 2/30, that would not have made sense for the Sox

I'm OK with the off season so far. Seems like the Sox are looking to build some depth and continue to add OBP  If the pursuit of Hendriks pays off, 2 of our 3 acquisitions end up being the best (Hendriks) and near best (Lynn). A lock down BP takes you a long way in todays game.

With trying to work in our top young starters the Sox can limit their innings and use the BP and still feel confident about winning games. Lynn will also help if he remains the horse he usually is, although with a great BP you can also limit his innings to keep him strong for the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I agree. I love me some Brantley but he'd basically be a DH. But... don't we need one? Because assuming we are not getting Springer, Eloy is definitely staying in LF.

Cruz?

I'm confident that if the Sox address DH at all it will be late in the off season. Next up is Hendriks and a starting pitcher . My dark horse candidate SP is Taijuan Walker . Link is to a Fansided Brewer s fan explaining why he thinks Brewers should sign him. It's not heavy on using metrics or anything but it does list some positives to think about. https://reviewingthebrew.com/2020/12/05/brewers-taijuan-walker-perfect-fit/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

If it ends up being Hendriks and Q I don't know how I'll feel about that. Theoretically it's an improvement but does that really move the needle enough? Do we need to put money into a closer with Colome (would be a cheaper re-sign, yes?) and Bummer on this team? Wouldn't Bauer be the better go-get? 

go Kluber instead of Q. Will probably be cheaper, has more upside...and if Cease and Kopech both look awesome...you can actually trade Klobot to a desperate contender for a piece or hold him for the playoffs and manage his and Kopech's innings. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

go Kluber instead of Q. Will probably be cheaper, has more upside...and if Cease and Kopech both look awesome...you can actually trade Klobot to a desperate contender for a piece or hold him for the playoffs and manage his and Kopech's innings. 

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm confident that if the Sox address DH at all it will be late in the off season. Next up is Hendriks and a starting pitcher . My dark horse candidate SP is Taijuan Walker . Link is to a Fansided Brewer s fan explaining why he thinks Brewers should sign him. It's not heavy on using metrics or anything but it does list some positives to think about. https://reviewingthebrew.com/2020/12/05/brewers-taijuan-walker-perfect-fit/

Walker may turn into my #3 SP target..So far I stand at:

1. Kluber

2. Paxton

3. Walker?

4. Quintana

I would prefer some high upside for our 4th, hence why Kluber and Paxton are atop my list

29 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I agree. I love me some Brantley but he'd basically be a DH. But... don't we need one? Because assuming we are not getting Springer, Eloy is definitely staying in LF.

Cruz?

Pass for me on Cruz. Dude was a monster last year but he's only getting older and at some point he'll not be able to catch up to the fastball like EE last year. I'd rather let him do that somewhere else. 

I do actually think Schwarber makes some sense IF, they want Vaughn to get 1-2 months in the minors (that starts a month after the season anyways).  That would mean we'd have Schwarber DH for 2-3 months exclusively PLUS spell Eloy more when he or Vaughn need a break and cover for Eloy when he inevitable trips over his feet.  Maybe even Eaton too a tad?  I could see getting Schwarber 400+ at bats easy, and to me I'd pony up some money for that.  The issue is... I think he easily can find 600+ at bats elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Walker may turn into my #3 SP target..So far I stand at:

1. Kluber

2. Paxton

3. Walker?

4. Quintana

I would prefer some high upside for our 4th, hence why Kluber and Paxton are atop my list

I like Walker because he is still young . His FIP is a bit high and he will lose command every so often but he did pitch pretty good for the Jays after Seattle traded him .He's one of those guys who could be just finding himself or just be a blah kind of guy. But if you throw him in the mix for #4 starter with Cease and when Kopech can make some starts we have a 3 way competition for 4 and 5 . More than that if we can somehow get Crochet to throw 4+ innings in 10 or so starts.

7 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Pass for me on Cruz. Dude was a monster last year but he's only getting older and at some point he'll not be able to catch up to the fastball like EE last year. I'd rather let him do that somewhere else. 

as long as he keeps taking steroids he will play well into his 40s

8 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Father Time will eventually catch up to Cruz.  The Sox signing him would just feel like tempting fate.

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

It also puts us for ozuna and putting Eaton/Engel into a LF platoon...

Sarris isn't a big Vaughn fan, and he cited his draft year minor league stats as the reason. I know he's connected, but obviously a 4 year deal for a DH locks Vaughn out of the long-term plans, and I feel like he's more willing than any writer to do that since he doesn't like Vaughn

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

If he insists on two year deal, what do you do about Vaughn?

That's a good question. Vaughn isn't going to be ready this year; I would think there have to be a few options but is there reason to think he would insist on 2 years? I wouldn't think so.

More than anything I would kick myself for not optimizing. Didn't think DH would end up possibly being one of our holes next year. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I agree but obviously this is all based on skepticism Sox will go this route with anyone. I don't know what Kluber would command, you think this is realistic?

So 13 for Hendriks and 7 for Eaton = 20 AAV.  Why were the Sox out on Springer again?  What a dipshit plan. 

If all Springer wants is 125/5 years or less then thats not even bad.  I remember when Texas gave $25M AAV to Josh Hamilton and that was a big deal a long time ago.  Now its pretty normal for an All Star type.  Thats not even MVP money.

Anyway Go Mets!  Sign Hendriks!

I hope all you people pissing on my reasoning for not doling out $40M to a RP get 1 year or Colome-flavored coal in your stockings this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I agree but obviously this is all based on skepticism Sox will go this route with anyone. I don't know what Kluber would command, you think this is realistic?

1 yr, 8-10 mil. Coming off injury really hurts him, but fits Sox perfectly because of Kopech looming and needing an innings split. Maybe someone dumb like Angels offer 10-12 mil and an option, but I just don't see it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It also puts us for ozuna and putting Eaton/Engel into a LF platoon...

He was saying that platoon for RF. 

The White Sox seem like a legitimate landing spot, as they could push Adams Eaton and Engel into a platoon on one side of the outfield, giving them decent-to-exceptional defense in two-thirds of the outfield. Ozuna and Eloy Jiménez could basically share corner outfield and DH.

54 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

So 13 for Hendriks and 7 for Eaton = 20 AAV.  Why were the Sox out on Springer again?  What a dipshit plan. 

If all Springer wants is 125/5 years or less then thats not even bad.  I remember when Texas gave $25M AAV to Josh Hamilton and that was a big deal a long time ago.  Now its pretty normal for an All Star type.  Thats not even MVP money.

Anyway Go Mets!  Sign Hendriks!

I hope all you people pissing on my reasoning for not doling out $40M to a RP get 1 year or Colome-flavored coal in your stockings this year.

MVP money was $12.6 million last year. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic