Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, this isn't new news. James told us that in this very thread back on Wednesday. I got excited when I saw a bunch of new posts in this thread. Oh well.

Yup, James mentioned it a few days ago. I could have sworn they said Boras and I’m too lazy to check.

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

I’m at the point where I wouldn’t mind if the Sox missed on Hendriks if that meant Colome, a starter and a lefty bat

I’d rather have Yates over Colome. I think I’ve convinced myself that Yates for a year and an option is a lot smarter than 3-4 years for Hendriks.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

I’d rather have Yates over Colome. I think I’ve convinced myself that Yates for a year and an option is a lot smarter than 3-4 years for Hendriks.

Man this whole time I thought he was going to be out a big part of next year because all I saw was elbow surgery in august. Didn't realize it was just a scope.

Everytime I look, nothing feels like Hendriks wouldn't be awesome. But - there are guys out there.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Passan latest about Hendriks. Insider though and I don't have, but opening paragraph just makes it sound like things are not that close.

I never really say stuff like this, because I don’t like having false hope but that paragraph looks like it was written by his agent and submitted so the Sox can reach his price already 

As the top of the market takes its sweet time developing, the interest in closer Liam Hendriks, far and away the best reliever available, is leading to an interesting array of teams ready to bid on his services, according to sources. The Chicago White Sox have been linked to Hendriks as his primary suitor, but a number of other teams in search of a closer -- or simply more bullpen help -- are prepared to pounce.

Among the teams that have pursued the 32-year-old: the Los Angeles Dodgers, Houston Astros, New York Mets and Toronto Blue Jays. Hendriks has been the best closer in baseball by a healthy margin the past two seasons, and his desire for a four-year deal at a strong annual value is understandable, especially with the next-best options -- Blake Treinen, Alex Colome, Trevor Rosenthal and Brad Hand -- not the same caliber. The Dodgers would give Hendriks the best shot at a title. The Astros are hankering to add to a young bullpen. The Mets are everywhere because they can be. And Hendriks is familiar with the Blue Jays, having begun his stellar relief career with them in 2015. One team to keep an eye on: the Philadelphia Phillies, who, if given financial leeway with the hiring of new president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, could see Hendriks as a panacea for some of their bullpen woes.

This is the short write-up from Passan from ESPN.

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

No way in hell would I want the Sox to give 4 years to Hendriks.  Jays make the most sense.

Well I don’t think he’ll get one but when drew Pomeranz gets 4 and Jansen gets 5 he should try and sounds like there’s enough teams to give it a shot.

personally, I don’t care that much because you could just trade him but I know everyone else sees a contract like a marriage pre legal divorce

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well I don’t think he’ll get one but when drew Pomeranz gets 4 and Jansen gets 5 he should try and sounds like there’s enough teams to give it a shot.

personally, I don’t care that much because you could just trade him but I know everyone else sees a contract like a marriage pre legal divorce

Good reference to Pomeranz, but he’s at like 9 a year and Hendriks wants 14 or so a year.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Good reference to Pomeranz, but he’s at like 9 a year and Hendriks wants 14 or so a year.

I get it but Pomeranz had showed about a months worth of pitches. 

Id add Colome made 10.5 last year, so it’s just an expensive position even for arb. 

I don’t mind sox going after other arms they like. But if they love Hendriks, and there’s a lot to love, go get him.

If they really like Yates or Kahnle or McGee etc and think Bummer is a great bullpen, just build a great bullpen and figure it out.

The latest from trade rumors today has the Dodgers as a suitor. Waited too long. If you are going to be aggressive...be aggressive. Now the Mets and Phillies both have GMs and need a closer. I will hold out hope...but an overpay was fine...now it will be a mega overpay with the agent having much more leverage. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The latest from trade rumors today has the Dodgers as a suitor. Waited too long. If you are going to be aggressive...be aggressive. Now the Mets and Phillies both have GMs and need a closer. I will hold out hope...but an overpay was fine...now it will be a mega overpay with the agent having much more leverage. 

I agree, someone who is desperate and willing to give him the 4th year will pounce on him. 

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

There’s a reason basically every free agent hasn’t picked a team yet. Any smart agent would have waited for Mets and Phillies to pick their GM. I don’t blame Hahn and company for not getting a deal done yet.

Edited by fathom

18 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

We did not wait too long, Hendrik's team is waiting out on the best deal possible from a winner. I am not sure we get it done with the list of teams that are in the race. We swim at the youth pool and shoot from the free throw line underhanded. 

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

There’s a reason basically every free agent hasn’t picked a team yet. Any smart agent would have waited for Mets and Phillies to pick their GM. I don’t blame Hahn and company for not getting a deal done yet.

I just posted this thought in a different thread.  Nobody is signing.  I think Eaton signed because he was familiar with the organization and vice versa.  It is one year at a low salary so there is not much risk.  What is the largest contract this offseason $15M?   

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic