Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

On 12/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, fathom said:

After doing some research, I’m all aboard the Kirby Yates train. He was the best reliever on the planet from 2017-2019. He struggled last year due to bone chips that he got removed. Pitchers tend to recover nicely from that surgery, and he should be ready for 2020. I like the idea of a shorter deal for him than 3 for Hendriks.

Have been advocating for Yates or Trevor Rosenthal. Problem is, given how (relatively) cheap those guys are compared to Hendriks, I'm not sure what else the team is gonna be spending on. Wondering if Hahn is regretting his "stay tuned" comment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Have been advocating for Yates or Trevor Rosenthal. Problem is, given how (relatively) cheap those guys are compared to Hendriks, I'm not sure what else the team is gonna be spending on. Wondering if Hahn is regretting his "stay tuned" comment

They will brag about unprecedented flexibility for trade deadline moves 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

flashback 2015:

White sox sign David Robertson to 4 year deal worth $46 million.

It worked out fine!

Liam Hendriks is significantly better than David Robertson was, in a better offensive environment.

But sure, draw a line in the sand.

Yeah, I don't get why the Robertson contract gets lumped in with LaRoche, Samardzija type acquisitions. Sure, we ended up trading him, but over the course of the contract, he pitched exactly as expected, if not better. Did the one game against the Royals just absolutely destroy fan perception?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, I don't get why the Robertson contract gets lumped in with LaRoche, Samardzija type acquisitions. Sure, we ended up trading him, but over the course of the contract, he pitched exactly as expected, if not better. Did the one game against the Royals just absolutely destroy fan perception?

That day killed Sox baseball.  Also was the day of the Shields trade breaking.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The only thing I worry about with Rosenthal is he has some years where he just loses all his control. He was great last year though.

We do have a nice fallback in Bummer, so we do have room to experiment.

Just now, bmags said:

The only thing I worry about with Rosenthal is he has some years where he just loses all his control. He was great last year though.

Exactly, I think we have room to take on that risk. I also think 2020 was Rosenthal's first truly healthy year in awhile.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know you're right but I'm gonna pretend they have an actual plan for my own sanity

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know you're right but I'm gonna pretend they have an actual plan for my own sanity

Hahn will make comments about getting more resources as the season continues and cryptically talk about keeping the core together via extensions. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

One of the reasons I’m surprised they want a long-term closer via free agency is they have 3 guys in the organization that could easily be big time closers (Bummer, Heuer, Crochet)

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

This isn't MLB The Show 19. You can't just up an offer and then it is immediately signed because it met a magical number in free agency. That offer will get shopped around to see if it can be realistically beaten. 

Not always. For high end superstars, yes. But for smaller deals the team will sometimes tell them they have xxx to spend on that position, so they got 24 hours, 48 hours, whatever to respond or else they will give it to the next guy. Otherwise, no one would ever sign until February. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This was as serious tweet written by someone who follows baseball.

"I'd rather have the guy for one less year for the same price."

Truly amazing mindset from these people who run the White Sox.

That is so completely idiotic.  No, I wouldn't want that free year of a dude.  WTF?

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Martino doesn’t even mention the Sox even though he is taking from Passan’s article. 

I could be wrong, but I think Martino is the same guy who shit on the Sox during the Machado sweepstakes and said the Sox have no chance of signing anyone big and that players don't want to play for them. I'm paraphrasing since it's been a couple of years, but it was along those lines.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I could be wrong, but I think Martino is the same guy who shit on the Sox during the Machado sweepstakes and said the Sox have no chance of signing anyone big and that players don't want to play for them. I'm paraphrasing since it's been a couple of years, but it was along those lines.

He just didn’t read the Passan report correctly 

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

Which will involved moving players that could be used to solve other problems instead of fixing something that will not cost a lot of money in the big picture.  Just sign a closer now and be done with it.  Waiting till the deadline means we will have to use prospects, which could be used to get something else at the deadline.  Using the deadline as a way to fill out your roster is stupid.  

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

One of the reasons I’m surprised they want a long-term closer via free agency is they have 3 guys in the organization that could easily be big time closers (Bummer, Heuer, Crochet)

I know he hasn't done great and has had injuries but maybe the new pitching coach can do something with Burdi. A longshot I know but he is a closer that does throw 100.

3 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

I know he hasn't done great and has had injuries but maybe the new pitching coach can do something with Burdi. A longshot I know but he is a closer that does throw 100.

We are in our competitive window.  We can add a closer and still work on these fixer upper projects in the background.  Have Burdi "close" out the 6th or 7th inning.  I don't want fixer uppers or try and buys during this window.  

42 minutes ago, fathom said:

Best way to have an elite bullpen is to add at the top end, and Sox have been pretty clear they intend for Crochet to be a starter

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

We are in our competitive window.  We can add a closer and still work on these fixer upper projects in the background.  Have Burdi "close" out the 6th or 7th inning.  I don't want fixer uppers or try and buys during this window.  

This right here. You experiment when you're rebuilding, not when you're trying to compete.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Because they aren't going to acquire another rotation arm so they will make the bullpen as deep as possible.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

But at the same time those guys are relatively cheap for the next three years and with limited holes, signing an impact reliever makes all the sense in the world to me.

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic