Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

Martino doesn’t even mention the Sox even though he is taking from Passan’s article.

Who thinks Cohen will instruct Alderson to do whatever it takes financially to win the bidding just to pay JR back for trying to block him from owning the Mets?

(Raises hand)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is almost certainly false and no idea why you think this to be true.

I guess I should have said a "high end arm". They may get another pitcher that won't pitch past the 5th inning so it is more important to put their resources into lengthening the bullpen.

Edit: Now that I think about it again they probably won't sign another starter. They have Giolito, Keuchal, Lynn and Cease, 1-4. The fifth will be Kopech once he is ready. So they'll probably go with Lopez or a bargain basement pitcher until Kopech is ready.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I guess I should have said a "high end arm". They may get another pitcher that won't pitch past the 5th inning so it is more important to put their resources into lengthening the bullpen.

I'm a fan of that idea. Even if they sign Hendriks, I feel like there are a good amount of options out there to grab another good guy later to add to the pen as well.

• Like 1

Yes. I would add:

- Back-end/reclamation starter (Q, Kluber, Paxton, Walker, etc)

- A closer (Hendriks, Colome, Hand, etc)

- Another reliever (Bradley, McGee)

- Left-handed bat (LaStella, Miller, etc)

- Backup catcher (one that is more defensive oriented)

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well if they dont get one this offseason he might be turned into one.  

Nah. Crochet will be starting in AA regardless I’d think 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Because they aren't going to acquire another rotation arm so they will make the bullpen as deep as possible.

They’ll sign another starter. Katz thinks Lopez is a reliever and Kopech assuredly won’t start with big league team. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Now one of the foodies is backing off in his confidence....."50/50" and "they hate bidding wars"....lol.

Once again unable to play with the big boys. 

He is correct, they don’t like bidding wars but he said they are still serious and he’s still their target. Even if they do miss out on him oh well there’s quite a few other options out on the market that may be a better fit for the team so relax man! 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nah. Crochet will be starting in AA regardless I’d think 

They’ll sign another starter. Katz thinks Lopez is a reliever and Kopech assuredly won’t start with big league team. 

Could be, but what starter is going to sign with them knowing they are going to the pen once Kopech is ready?

Just now, ptatc said:

Could be, but what starter is going to sign with them knowing they are going to the pen once Kopech is ready?

Matt Andriese? Not a pretty pick, but he does have a history of being a swing guy. Maybe give him to opportunity to start. I agree it's going to be really hard to get a guy to commit unless they are completely counting out Kopech for next season and focusing on getting him built back up in Charlotte.

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Matt Andriese? Not a pretty pick, but he does have a history of being a swing guy. Maybe give him to opportunity to start. I agree it's going to be really hard to get a guy to commit unless they are completely counting out Kopech for next season and focusing on getting him built back up in Charlotte.

This is what I was saying. A minimal salary guy who won't go deep in games so they will spend the money on the pen to lengthen it.

9 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

what about brad peacock?

13 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

I’m definitely not one to think Hendriks is a must sign. It would be nice, but there’s no guarantee and it’s not worth a stupid contract. Buy low/rebound candidate can work as well.

If they used more money elsewhere, I think I'm cool with keeping Colome for a while. Figure I'm not alone on that. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic