Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

i don't want to be a debbie downer and love Hendricks. Robertson deal might make them gun shy. I think RH is good and done a great job so far but 3 or 4 years for any closer is probably not going to happen 2 years 25 million is more the WSOX speed, whether it be Colome or Hendricks. Prefer Hendricks but Colome didn't disappoint last year and can have another good year or 2. If the Sox have lets say 30 to 50 million left to spend and i know a 20 million is a large spread, but i think if Brantley is still out there and a good number 3 or 4 starter, i'd go that route and use Bummer, Heur and Crochet to Close. Would i give Hendricks 3 for 39?? Yes. Could probably get Colome for 2 for 25, sign Brantley and look for another starter  

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why wouldn’t they have a chance at Hendriks? Honestly? What has been said or presented otherwise from credible people that has given an indication that the Sox aren’t in on Hendriks? I feel like the entire fan base is freaking out and the Sox are the only division contender to improve so far this offseason. 

Jerry Reinsdorf’s track record of signing top of the line free agents and winning bidding wars isn’t exactly great.

I’m not an insider. Just to be clear. 

but a few years ago I had insides into the industry via the blue Jays. Chicago was known for coming in hard with offers of their valuation and not negotiating, moving on if no agreement. This was more on the amateur side, but wouldn’t shock me if if it was the pro side too. 

Likely means nada just saying. 

The good news is that aside from the McCann signing, all of MLB is quiet right now.  The Sox have made the most noise so far, and that was with a pretty big trade and a relatively minor signing.  Something will have to give soon enough, and maybe it's Hendriks signing, or maybe it's Springer or Realmuto...

Still, nothing may happen until after Christmas.  I'm keeping my hopes up that the Sox will sign Hendriks, but no news doesn't really mean anything right now.

9 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

i don't want to be a debbie downer and love Hendricks. Robertson deal might make them gun shy. I think RH is good and done a great job so far but 3 or 4 years for any closer is probably not going to happen 2 years 25 million is more the WSOX speed, whether it be Colome or Hendricks. Prefer Hendricks but Colome didn't disappoint last year and can have another good year or 2. If the Sox have lets say 30 to 50 million left to spend and i know a 20 million is a large spread, but i think if Brantley is still out there and a good number 3 or 4 starter, i'd go that route and use Bummer, Heur and Crochet to Close. Would i give Hendricks 3 for 39?? Yes. Could probably get Colome for 2 for 25, sign Brantley and look for another starter  

If they have $50 million left to spend on 2021 payroll there's no excuse to not go get Bauer. They could sign Bauer and Hendriks and extend Giolito with that amount left to spend on annual payroll.

Edited by Dam8610

10 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Jerry Reinsdorf’s track record of signing top of the line free agents and winning bidding wars isn’t exactly great.

Top of the line free agents in the $200 million range, sure. They outbid teams for Keuchel and Grandal last year. Hendriks won't be a huge deal. The years is the issue. 

14 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Top of the line free agents in the $200 million range, sure. They outbid teams for Keuchel and Grandal last year. Hendriks won't be a huge deal. The years is the issue. 

Do you think he will get 4 elsewhere? I imagine someone will give it out eventually.  It's not an asenine ask by him by any means.

At the end of the day, if the 4th year 13 million is what is breaking the White Sox, consider this, if that extra year if the guy is done or is a bust is going to have that much of an effect on the roster, the sustained winning, multiple championships they have been selling, didn't go very well.

Signing guys for extra years they may not be any good has been going on since JR owned the team. When the Sox signed Carlton Fisk, and of course the money was different then, but it was a $20 million franchise vs. $2 billion, he signed for 5 years $3 million. Roland Hemond told JR he figured Fisk had 3 or 4 productive seasons left. They signed him anyways. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At the end of the day, if the 4th year 13 million is what is breaking the White Sox, consider this, if that extra year if the guy is done or is a bust is going to have that much of an effect on the roster, the sustained winning, multiple championships they have been selling, didn't go very well.

It’s a significant amount of money for a 35 year old closer 4 years from now when a lot of the core players will be getting way more expensive.  Just doesn’t seem like the best allocation of resources.  Give me Yates and LaStella for the same cost of Hendriks this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It’s a significant amount of money for a 35 year old closer 4 years from now when a lot of the core players will be getting way more expensive.  Just doesn’t seem like the best allocation of resources.  Give me Yates and LaStella for the same cost of Hendriks this year.

Yates will be 34 on opening day. What's the difference? Take the better guy. JR has tons of money. Boras just called out the owners for their $100 million losses each. He claims, yes they may have lost $100 million, but $100 million in profit. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

I fully support Sox backing off instead of giving a 4th year. 

I would fully support this as well. Yates is an attractive option with his splitter. It would be a different look from what the other relievers throw. There are plenty of other relievers on the market that would be great options as well so I think TLR is just going to have live with it. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Yates will be 34 on opening day. What's the difference? Take the better guy. JR has tons of money. Boras just called out the owners for their $100 million losses each. He claims, yes they may have lost $100 million, but $100 million in profit. 

Yates would only be a one or two year contract. If Hendriks goes out and busts in a year or two, that contract becomes an albatross for what should be the peak seasons.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yates would only be a one or two year contract. If Hendriks goes out and busts in a year or two, that contract becomes an albatross for what should be the peak seasons.

So you have him for his age 34 and 35 seasons, the 2 seasons you would be looking forward to the least with Hendriks. If you are worried about Hendricks at that age, you should probably be worried about Yates as well.

And the contract is not really an albatross if Hendriks doesn't work out or the Sox are not going to be what they claim they will be. Every team that wins all the time has a contract or two they could live without. If $13 million is a big problem, the rebuild will never end. It's what they paid Alonso and Jay combined.

Edited by Dick Allen

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic