Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Based on a survey of 20 MLB GMs conducted by the four letter network, Liam Hendricks and Alex Colome were voted the Free Agents most likely to be over paid this offseason.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30572289/spend-big-lindor-bryant-get-dealt-gms-insiders-weigh-in

They’re right, closers should not get paid $14 mil a year. The White would be wise to be putting that $14 mil towards another SP (Bauer) or Springer/Ozuna and a lesser reliever but the Sox lack wisdom so will end up overpaying for Hendriks because that’s his market and they feel he’s more valuable than an elite SP or Positional player. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rey21 said:

They’re right, closers should not get paid $14 mil a year. The White would be wise to be putting that $14 mil towards another SP (Bauer) or Springer/Ozuna and a lesser reliever but the Sox lack wisdom so will end up overpaying for Hendriks because that’s his market and they feel he’s more valuable than an elite SP or Positional player. 

Bauer, Q, McCann and LaStella were the others on the list.

Good info, but in a depressed market for paying out large numbers you wonder if you just sign the guy you want ( Hendrix) and wait to see who is left in the outfield. With so many teams cutting payroll and now trades being made you would think they would do it reverse, get the guy they really wanted. It’s easier to find an outfielder than a stud closer.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nightengale was on the Score today and basically said the Sox went with Eaton over Brantley in order to try and afford Hendriks.  Nothing we don’t already know but good to hear further confirmation they still are pursuing him.

Doesn't makes sense, Brantley's not a RF'er.

Just now, Rounding_Third said:

Doesn't makes sense, Brantley's not a RF'er.

I'm not necessarily buying that either.  They could actually afford both Hendriks and Brantley now even after signing Eaton.  It would be a stretch for this team to spend like that, but to say they signed Eaton to save money for Hendriks doesn't ring true.  However, if they end up signing Hendriks, I'll be happy.  It's just that the signing of Eaton came so fast when there were other options out there for RF.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nightengale was on the Score today and basically said the Sox went with Eaton over Brantley in order to try and afford Hendriks.  Nothing we don’t already know but good to hear further confirmation they still are pursuing him.

So what happens when another team outbids the White Sox? What’s the fall back plan? 

it Colome signs elsewhere then the White Sox are screwed if they don’t land Hendriks. 

Edited by chetkincaid

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

So what happens when another team outbids the White Sox? What’s the fall back plan? 

it Colome signs elsewhere then the White Sox are screwed if they don’t land Hendriks. 

Hand is still out there. Yates is out there.  Colome is probably #3 for me anyways.  If you can't get Hendriks, ?Hand or Colome, you just have to sign 2 lower guys imo to add more depth.  Such as Yates/Bradley and someone.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Hand is still out there. Yates is out there.  Colome is probably #3 for me anyways.  If you can't get Hendriks, ?Hand or Colome, you just have to sign 2 lower guys imo to add more depth.  Such as Yates/Bradley and someone.

Brad Hand would be such a bargain bin White Sox signing. 

16 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Screwed? The Sox still have bullpen depth and Bummer is likely the closer of the future if we don't get Hendriks. There are other bullpen guys out there as well. 

Personally, I would rather save the money for Bauer and go the Colome/Bummer route rather than sign Hendriks myself.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic