Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

21 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Just worried about the flame out that’s likely to come, seems like relievers are so hit or miss and it just makes me nervous on the overpay that’s all especially with how cheap JR is. 

Gotta risk it for the biscuit!

And the last part of your statement doesn't make much sense to me..."it makes me nervous on the overpay with how cheap JR is"

7 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And the last part of your statement doesn't make much sense to me..."it makes me nervous on the overpay with how cheap JR is"

Exactly.   If you added up just the last 2 years of the wasted money on free agents.  The risk doesn't seem that big in my opinion.  

Edited by Sox80
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Meaning that an overpay for JR is different than an overpay for a team like the Yankees who can print money if they’d like. If we overpay and it turns out to be bad JR is gonna try and find a way to pinch pennies on another contract and less likely to commit funds when needed to somewhere else that’s all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Meaning that an overpay for JR is different than an overpay for a team like the Yankees who can print money if they’d like. If we overpay and it turns out to be bad JR is gonna try and find a way to pinch pennies on another contract and less likely to commit funds when needed to somewhere else that’s all. 

^^^^

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Billy Koch’s best K/9 was 9.18 whereas Hendriks has been around 13.14 the last two seasons.  There is nothing comparable about the two other than they both have been closers.

League wide K/9 was 6.4 in 2004 compared to 9.1 in 2020.

42 minutes ago, Vulture said:

League wide K/9 was 6.4 in 2004 compared to 9.1 in 2020.

No doubt the game has changed and I bet there were a lot more sinker-ballers back then.  But how does it look when you only include closers?  Looking at the Fangraphs leaderboard, there were several closers with big K/9’s such as Gagne, Nathan, Dotel, & Lidge.  These guys still existed back then, even if not as commonplace.  My point still remains that Koch was never as dominate as Hendriks currently is and multiple metrics would agree with that.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No doubt the game has changed and I bet there were a lot more sinker-ballers back then.  But how does it look when you only include closers?  Looking at the Fangraphs leaderboard, there were several closers with big K/9’s such as Gagne, Nathan, Dotel, & Lidge.  These guys still existed back then, even if not as commonplace.  My point still remains that Koch was never as dominate as Hendriks currently is and multiple metrics would agree with that.

Right, there were more pitchers who weren’t strikeouts guys, but high strikeout pitchers still existed.  

Koch was not one of them, and even at his highest strikeout rate, he just barely had a 2/1 SO/BB rate (2.02).  That’s not good, especially for a reliever.  His 1.27 WHIP that season was also far from dominant.  Foulke was a more overpowering pitcher sitting in the low 90s.  Obviously, I’m still pissed off about this trade, ha.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I'm the opposite.

Same. I think Richards has some intriguing upside, but he's the kind of guy you sign to be your ~#7 SP on the depth chart (in theory, obviously you'd start him in MLB if healthy) because he just has zero track record of staying healthy over the past 6 years. Quintana is much more limited but he's a much better fit for a roster that needs another innings eater. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orlando said:

That’s true. The Sox can only control their side of the equation and they could feel confident even if Hendriks doesn’t truly feel that way. They are also dealing with the same agent but it’s time to put the Machado stuff to rest. I would hope they learned their lesson from Machado. They went in hot with offers for Grandal, Keuchel and Wheeler (who may be the only professional athlete the world that actually left money on the table for geography so I can’t blame them for the outcome). I doubt they are pursuing Hendriks in a way that’s even close to Machado. They reportedly signed Eaton to afford him. They seem to be either completely out on players and vocal about it or in on players and serious about. I think half way pursuits are a thing of the past.

I don't think there's a "lesson" to be learned because I don't think they were even that serious about getting him.

38 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Obviously, I’m still pissed off about this trade, ha.

Never understood what KW was looking at when he made that trade, but as the Joker would say "Its all part of the plan".  Allow me to un-piss you off about that deal:

December 3, 2002: Billy Koch traded by Oakland with players to be named later to the White Sox for Keith Foulke, Mark Johnson, Joe Valentine and cash. The A's sent Neal Cotts(December 16, 2002) and Daylan Holt(minors) (December 16, 2002) to the Sox to complete the trade.

Cotts was as lockdown as you could get out of the pen in 05'.  Didn't really factor much in the playoffs, but he did to get to 99 wins.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, KillahPriest said:

Never understood what KW was looking at when he made that trade, but as the Joker would say "Its all part of the plan".  Allow me to un-piss you off about that deal:

Cotts was as lockdown as you could get out of the pen in 05'.  Didn't really factor much in the playoffs, but he did to get to 99 wins.

Cotts played a huge rule in the WS

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sox80 said:

Definitely.  Him and cliff politee were lights out that year.  

The importance of those 7th and 8th inning guys is immense.  2005 turns into just another year without Neil Cotts and Cliff Politte IMO.

5 minutes ago, zisk said:

All things considered, I'd just as soon have Colome back than Hendricks. Colome isn't as flashy, but he has been very consistent.

I get the Colome love, but he made $10 million last year.  I would be surprised if Colome gets a deal for $10 million + this year.   

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Hendriks would bei great but i would bei fine with bradley too.

Get hendricks or archie bradley, a 4th starter and then the team is pretty much complete.

Hope to be pleasantly surprised, but beyond Tony somehow convincing Jerry he "needs" a closer and more importantly, should spend money to get one, i don't see the White Sox topping their commitments to Lynn or Eaton (prorated $9M & $8M salaries), beyond extending Giolito. The Twins are the only AL Central  team possibly attempting to win, and Jerry has always shown a firmer commitment to crushing the players and their union versus any desire to compete for a World Series. People mistake Jerry's commitment to keeping LaRussa employed, here if necessary, to a commitment to winning.

Can see them signing 1-2 collusion depressed players from the list below in the late Spring or Summer leading up to July Spring Training. 

• C Tyler Flowers ($2M-$3M)
  • C Curt Casali ($2M-$3M)
  • OF Kevin Pillar ($3M-$4M)
  • SP Brian Anderson ($2M-$4M)
  • SP Mike Leake ($3M-$5M
  • SP Adam Wainwright ($5M-$7M)
  • SP Homer Bailey ($3M-$5M)
  • SP Chase Anderson ($3M-$5M)
  • P Tyler Anderson ($1M-$2M)
  • P Tyler Chatwood ($3M-$5M)

I’ve only seen Hendricks pitch twice and both times it was against the Sox in the playoffs. I remember thinking while watching him pitch that there was all this hoopla about the guy and he didn’t look overwhelming at all to me. There’s some pitchers that have that little something that makes them virtually unhittable. I didn’t see it with him.

Colome on the other hand has that little cutter that hitters struggle with.

I’d rather they get another solid starter as they have a lot of bullpen guys already many that have the stuff and mentality to close.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic