Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So if we’re sitting at $109M and you believe the following, we’d have between $26M & $31M to work with.  Assume Hendriks takes $13M of that to be conservative and that leaves about $13M to $18M for another SP and positional depth.

If you take the higher end, you can probably add a decent SP & a guy like La Stella and not have to trade to fill holes.  But if you’re on the lower end and/or want a veteran backup catcher, things will quickly become tight.

It’s really going to be a shame if we start trading our limited assets for C tier guys that we should be able to sign for just money.

To be honest,  that budget is a little higher than I thought it would be. Also, one of the food guys or NSC tweeted that TLR is the most important executive for the Sox. And Tucker Barnhart must be who Tony wants for backup catcher. 

Edited by smellysox

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Someone like Austin Romine, who has a bad year last year but is the perfect bet for young pitchers and has shown a competent bat before, is a good match for a deal like that.

I hadn't even thought of him...but not a bad choice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smellysox said:

To be honest,  that budget is a little higher than I thought it would be. Also, one of the food guys or NSC tweeted that TLR is the most important executive for the Sox. And Tucker Barnhart must be who Tony wants for backup catcher. 

The dude is a starter and due to make $7.5m in 2022.  It doesn't smell right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

The dude is a starter and due to make $7.5m in 2022.  It doesn't smell right.

He has a 500k buyout for 2022. Total commitment would be this years salary plus 500k.

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're not at 109M, they're at 119-120M. 

The 109M does not take into account arbitration salaries, which would be another 10M or so. 

Which means that if they sign Hendriks, they're pretty much done with free agents. 

Seems to be some different takes on current payroll.  I have them at $116M (Gio @ 4, Lopez @ 2, DH filled by Collins, Mercedes, or Vaughn @ .6 , all pre-arbs at .6 and 2 for dead money.  If the final is $140 then you have $24M left for SP, CL, and a better C or DH.  Should be doable unless you want to keep some dry powder for the trade deadline.

Edited by roto
spelling

Unless I am missing something (always possible). Below is excerpted from FG Roster  Resource.

Estimated 2021 Payroll:    $119M                 Legend:    FREE AGENT    Club Option    Player Option    Mutual Option    Vesting Option    
Estimated Final 2020 Payroll:    $142M

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Unless I am missing something (always possible). Below is excerpted from FG Roster  Resource.

Estimated 2021 Payroll:    $119M                 Legend:    FREE AGENT    Club Option    Player Option    Mutual Option    Vesting Option    
Estimated Final 2020 Payroll:    $142M

Because that is probably an AAV / Luxury Tax based estimate, which is not the same thing as a cash-based payroll.

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Would still rather have Colome. Both guys are free agents with no compensation involved.

Colome has never had a bad year in his career. Hendricks has had many. Not many relief guys are as consistent as Colome.

To me that suggests he has a true out pitch.

I think this post needs more attention. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic