Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

Here's what I have on current payroll:

image.png

If it's $135-140M, and they land Hendricks (~$13M), they pretty much have to trade for a low cost option like Musgrove and bring in a depth bat to compete at DH, and address backup catcher through NRI or MILB deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Its actual guaranteed salaries + arb. eligible (EST. $1.95 for Lopez and $3.9 for Giolito) + est. for pre-arb. players ($9.7) 

I was only counting the guys on the 26 man roster not all 40 in my $116M.

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

image.png

If it's $135-140M, and they land Hendricks (~$13M), they pretty much have to trade for a low cost option like Musgrove and bring in a depth bat to compete at DH, and address backup catcher through NRI or MILB deal.

That includes about $4.6M in pro-rated signing bonuses.  Not sure how they account for those internally since they are non-cash at this point, but that would further limit our spending ability if they include them in their $135M to $140M payroll target.

I think the question now is would you rather sign Hendricks to $13M AAV and give him a 4th year, then trade prospects from the farm (hope it's prospects outside of top 5) for someone akin Musgrove, or sign someone from the likes of Colome, Yates, Rosenthal and Bradley to 1-2 year deals for $6-8M AAV and sign Q for $8-10M AAV.

15 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

image.png

You'd have $7=10M for a SP (Quintana?) and then have to roll with Collins as your backup C and a rotation for your DH.  Not ideal but could be done.  I wouldn't allocate that much for a closer.  Especially over a 4 year term.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think the question now is would you rather sign Hendricks to $13M AAV and give him a 4th year, then trade prospects from the farm (hope it's prospects outside of top 5) for someone akin Musgrove, or sign someone from the likes of Colome, Yates, Rosenthal and Bradley to 1-2 year deals for $6-8M AAV and sign Q for $8-10M AAV.

100% depends on the price for Musgrove.  To be honest, I’m a little worried they spend most of their money on Hendriks and then trade for a cheap C tier starter like Brault.  I really want to land Hendriks, but not at the expense of a decent 4th starter.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

100% A, where we end up with two better players

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

100% A, where we end up with two better players

Ideally I would prefer A (as much as I'm wary of a 4th year for Hendricks), but as CWS pointed out in the post above, it really depends on the price for Musgrove. If they spend $13M on Hendricks, their SP4 options are really limited, I am not even sure who is available outside of the 2 Pirates guys that are within their budget payroll and prospects wise.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Ideally I would prefer A (as much as I'm wary of a 4th year for Hendricks), but as CWS pointed out in the post above, it really depends on the price for Musgrove. If they spend $13M on Hendricks, their SP4 options are really limited, I am not even sure who is available outside of the 2 Pirates guys that are within their budget payroll and prospects wise.

If we give Hendriks a 4th year I’d just plan on trading him after year 2

2 hours ago, fathom said:

To be honest, he didn’t seem overly confident they’d get him

So James, NSC and the food accounts are all saying that the Sox are pretty confident that they will land him. Bob Nightengale seems confident as well but Steve Stone didn’t seem overly confident so who do they sign than? 

Edited by maloney.adam

20 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So James, NSC and the food accounts are all saying that the Sox are pretty confident that they will land him. Bob Nightengale seems confident as well but Steve Stone didn’t seem overly confident so who do they sign than? 

What did Steve say?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% depends on the price for Musgrove.  To be honest, I’m a little worried they spend most of their money on Hendriks and then trade for a cheap C tier starter like Brault.  I really want to land Hendriks, but not at the expense of a decent 4th starter.

I think they go with Giolito, Keuchal, Lynn, Cease and Kopech and find a lower tier pitcher for the first month or so while kopech builds up in the minors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I think they go with Giolito, Keuchal, Lynn, Cease and Kopech and find a lower tier pitcher for the first month or so while kopech builds up in the minors.

Man - how amazing would it be if Cease took a bug jump and Kopech came in strong like bull.

53 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

He said there’s a bidding war for him.  Nothing major, but nothing to suggest he thinks it’s close.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think you have to add at least one more starter with the shortened season last year then you have Kopech who hasn’t pitched in 2 years, you need someone else to help eat some of these innings 

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I think you have to add at least one more starter with the shortened season last year then you have Kopech who hasn’t pitched in 2 years, you need someone else to help eat some of these innings 

His name... is Reynaldo “Babyface” Lopez!

4 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Right that's the lower tier pitchers I stated. He will need to move to the pen once Kopech is ready and may need to spot start to keep kopech's innings in line

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

His name... is Reynaldo “Babyface” Lopez!

You know Katz seems to have big plans for Lopez this season.  I can't count on him as a starter.  more as a bullpen piece for me.

Edited by smellysox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like his future is in the bullpen

It should be. But thy could use him as a spot starter in this instance because whoever it is will eventually be in the pen. I could see his value as a swingman.

Edited by ptatc

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

image.png

Paul Konerko has $1,000,000 on the payroll for 2021 but that was probably already planned for years ago. I was surprised to see that this morning.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic