Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the question now is would you rather sign Hendricks to $13M AAV and give him a 4th year, then trade prospects from the farm (hope it's prospects outside of top 5) for someone akin Musgrove, or sign someone from the likes of Colome, Yates, Rosenthal and Bradley to 1-2 year deals for $6-8M AAV and sign Q for $8-10M AAV.

Honestly, I believe the 'best of the rest' after Hendriks is Colome. Too many question marks with Yates, Rosenthal (who I like) and Bradley. If we don't sign Hendriks, I'd be okay with Colome at $7-8M w/option...especially if we use the savings toward the best starter (Q seems like perfect fit). That said, Hendriks is rightfully the priority.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Paul Konerko has $1,000,000 on the payroll for 2021 but that was probably already planned for years ago. I was surprised to see that this morning.

They play that game as a way of slightly lowering the total at the time, expecting that revenues will be higher and so $1 million in 2021 will hurt less than $1 million in 2013. Oops!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Honestly, I believe the 'best of the rest' after Hendriks is Colome. Too many question marks with Yates, Rosenthal (who I like) and Bradley. If we don't sign Hendriks, I'd be okay with Colome at $7-8M w/option...especially if we use the savings toward the best starter (Q seems like perfect fit). That said, Hendriks is rightfully the priority.   

So I didn’t read the whole thread, but is Hendriks viewed as the upgrade and Colome is still considered to be solid out of the pen? Hopefully they don’t miss out on both of them.

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think the question now is would you rather sign Hendricks to $13M AAV and give him a 4th year, then trade prospects from the farm (hope it's prospects outside of top 5) for someone akin Musgrove, or sign someone from the likes of Colome, Yates, Rosenthal and Bradley to 1-2 year deals for $6-8M AAV and sign Q for $8-10M AAV.

I'm really spooked by rabbits twitter post. I dont like this idea of draining the farm just cause they don't want to spend so if thats the plan to compensate for blowing our wad all on Hendriks then I'd rather pass on Hendriks if that is gonna be what they will do to "buy" a SP and a LH bat. 

Sounds like there's gonna be no second part of this window. They will clean out the young pitching for 2021-2023. JR and TLR won't be around after that so they don't give a damn about anything after 2023. 

This is so stupid. 

• Like 2

So does this all mean if the Sox would have signed Machado they would be doing what the Cubs are doing now? 

JR should really sell the team if he can’t compete financially. Talk about sustained success and multiple championships is cheaper than him.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So does this all mean if the Sox would have signed Machado they would be doing what the Cubs are doing now? 

JR should really sell the team if he can’t compete financially. Talk about sustained success and multiple championships is cheaper than him.

Maybe, but at $118M, Sox are currently 5th in the AL in '21 payroll (behind, Houston, LAA, NYY and Boston). Does that mean teams won't loosen the pursestrings in the weeks ahead, not necessarily...but, it might be that teams (Sox included) aren't entirely confident that gate-related revenue will return to pre-pandemic levels.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

It should be. But thy could use him as a spot starter in this instance because whoever it is will eventually be in the pen. I could see his value as a swingman.

That’s assuming everyone is healthy which is probably not realistic coming off last season and not what we should be planning for IMO.

This writer for MLBTR doesn’t even mention the Sox pursuing Hendriks at all. Even at the end of the article he says if Colome doesn’t resign with the Sox there’s speculation that Bummer or Marshall could be put in the closer spot. That would be a disappointment if they don’t add a closer.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This writer for MLBTR doesn’t even mention the Sox pursuing Hendriks at all. Even at the end of the article he says if Colome doesn’t resign with the Sox there’s speculation that Bummer or Marshall could be put in the closer spot. That would be a disappointment if they don’t add a closer.

To be fair, that writer doesn't mention anyone as pursuing Hendriks, it simply lists several relief pitchers who currently haven't had an active market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

To be fair, that writer doesn't mention anyone as pursuing Hendriks, it simply lists several relief pitchers who currently haven't had an active market.

You are correct. My bad but the end of the article is still a little disappointing. 

Edited by maloney.adam

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

You are correct. My bad but the end of the article is still a little disappointing. 

Why is it disappointing? The Sox are heavily pursuing Hendriks. You know this already. Who gives a shit what the MLBTR post says? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'd love to have Hendricks, 2 years 25 million, yes, 2 years 30 million, yes. 4 years 100 million, no!!! 

Very few closers lately have stayed at the top of there game for 4 years. I believe that our goal is to win in either 2021/2022. 

The Sox have the money, Colome will take 2 years, Hendricks will not. Now, if thats what it takes to wim and give Hendricks 100 million, than do it. Just don't complain in that 3rd or 4th Year that we overpaid and now have 50 million on the books and can't sign a superstar because of this weight around the payroll. 

If we win in 2021 vand or 2022 and have to eat he extra 50 million of year 3 and 4 of Hendricks contract so be it. To wfor 2 yearsin it again before the Cubs can win again is worth every penny JR is willing to spend. We beat them to win first in 2005, now we cqn do it again. Colome? Hendricks? either one would be good for 2 years. Is Hendricks better?? Absolutely. 

We still need an insurance policy-- a 4th decent starter in case Kopech or Cease or Lopez are not ready. 

Collins should be the backup catcher or trade him and go with one of the 2 senior citizens we have in the minors. 

Ordizzi for 2 years or Q for 1 year as an insurance policy won't hurt. 

Schwaber would probably hit 40 home runs, but then we have 2 shitty defensive left fielders. Brantley is a little better defensively, but not much better. The only other DH i could see would be Ozuna, but he;s going to command way to much. We need a closer, and a starter  1st. then go get the outfielder/DH. 

Remeber, Vaughn  has not player above A Ball. Is he a future superstar and Abreu's successor??? ABSOLUTLEY!!!! Can't wait to see him after a year in Birmingham!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why is it disappointing? The Sox are heavily pursuing Hendriks. You know this already. Who gives a shit what the MLBTR post says? 

Your right, I do know this already. Thanks for bringing my confidence level back. I’ll be more patient with the Hendriks stuff. It’s just Reinsdorf and his penny pinching that I don’t like but that’s how mostly everyone feels. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm really spooked by rabbits twitter post. I dont like this idea of draining the farm just cause they don't want to spend so if thats the plan to compensate for blowing our wad all on Hendriks then I'd rather pass on Hendriks if that is gonna be what they will do to "buy" a SP and a LH bat. 

Sounds like there's gonna be no second part of this window. They will clean out the young pitching for 2021-2023. JR and TLR won't be around after that so they don't give a damn about anything after 2023. 

This is so stupid. 

I've been saying since the beginning that it was hard for a lot of us to be excited about the rebuild knowing that the same people who drove the franchise into the ground in the first place are the ones overseeing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s assuming everyone is healthy which is probably not realistic coming off last season and not what we should be planning for IMO.

True, however when signing the pitcher that would be the scenario that he would need to agree to because it is a possibility. 

52 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Your right, I do know this already. Thanks for bringing my confidence level back. I’ll be more patient with the Hendriks stuff. It’s just Reinsdorf and his penny pinching that I don’t like but that’s how mostly everyone feels. 

Its January and there have been next to no meaningful moves made by anyone other than the Padres. Bauer, LeMahieu, Springer, Realmuto, Semien, etc. all still unsigned and not much noise about when they might. No Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels making moves. Except for signing McCann, the Mets and Steve Cohen's money have been quiet. Any wonder why teams, Sox included, might be a bit reluctant to to make meaningful payroll commitments yet? 

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

I'd love to have Hendricks, 2 years 25 million, yes, 2 years 30 million, yes. 4 years 100 million, no!!! 

Very few closers lately have stayed at the top of there game for 4 years. I believe that our goal is to win in either 2021/2022. 

The Sox have the money, Colome will take 2 years, Hendricks will not. Now, if thats what it takes to wim and give Hendricks 100 million, than do it. Just don't complain in that 3rd or 4th Year that we overpaid and now have 50 million on the books and can't sign a superstar because of this weight around the payroll. 

If we win in 2021 vand or 2022 and have to eat he extra 50 million of year 3 and 4 of Hendricks contract so be it. To wfor 2 yearsin it again before the Cubs can win again is worth every penny JR is willing to spend. We beat them to win first in 2005, now we cqn do it again. Colome? Hendricks? either one would be good for 2 years. Is Hendricks better?? Absolutely. 

We still need an insurance policy-- a 4th decent starter in case Kopech or Cease or Lopez are not ready. 

Collins should be the backup catcher or trade him and go with one of the 2 senior citizens we have in the minors. 

Ordizzi for 2 years or Q for 1 year as an insurance policy won't hurt. 

Schwaber would probably hit 40 home runs, but then we have 2 shitty defensive left fielders. Brantley is a little better defensively, but not much better. The only other DH i could see would be Ozuna, but he;s going to command way to much. We need a closer, and a starter  1st. then go get the outfielder/DH. 

Remeber, Vaughn  has not player above A Ball. Is he a future superstar and Abreu's successor??? ABSOLUTLEY!!!! Can't wait to see him after a year in Birmingham!!

What ass did you pull $100 million for Hendriks out of?

• Haha 1

don't worry, you'll see the Met's or some other idiot team pony up 100 million. There's a sucker born every minute. The Met's new owner wants to make a BIG splash. 

Dodgers, Padres, Yanks and Red Sox and maybe even the Angels will spend that much. Look at how stupid the Cubs were bidding against themselves for Heyward. 

Hendricks is a bargain at 2 years 40 million in todays climate. 

Nobody has pulled the big trigger because nobody knows if fans will be in the stands to buy those $9/$10 beers and $8 hotdogs. 

As soon as we are vaccinated and can spend money, then you'll see the contracts get doled out. 

Maybe what would be a $100 million contract becomes 50 million because of no fans. Or a prorated contract for this year and then escalates for 2022 and forward. 

Think of it this way, 2021 15 million, 2022 30 million and so on. 15 million with no fans is like paying out 25 or 30 with fans. 

By the beginning of Spring Training we'll know more

7 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

don't worry, you'll see the Met's or some other idiot team pony up 100 million. There's a sucker born every minute. The Met's new owner wants to make a BIG splash. 

Dodgers, Padres, Yanks and Red Sox and maybe even the Angels will spend that much. Look at how stupid the Cubs were bidding against themselves for Heyward. 

Hendricks is a bargain at 2 years 40 million in todays climate. 

Nobody has pulled the big trigger because nobody knows if fans will be in the stands to buy those $9/$10 beers and $8 hotdogs. 

As soon as we are vaccinated and can spend money, then you'll see the contracts get doled out. 

Maybe what would be a $100 million contract becomes 50 million because of no fans. Or a prorated contract for this year and then escalates for 2022 and forward. 

Think of it this way, 2021 15 million, 2022 30 million and so on. 15 million with no fans is like paying out 25 or 30 with fans. 

By the beginning of Spring Training we'll know more

And in Rand McNally, you wear hats on your feet and hamburgers eat people.

• Haha 1

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic