Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can’t wait until we lose him due to family reasons and several Soxtalk members hold a grudge for life.

I personally feel that the Sox should spend the money for more pressing needs over Hendriks. But either way, being unsuccessful time and time again wears you down.

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I personally feel that the Sox should spend the money for more pressing needs over Hendriks. But either way, being unsuccessful time and time again wears you down.

Sure, we can all be pissed if we miss out, but some people took the Wheeler stuff way too far

• Thanks 1

It sounds like some really tough luck for the Sox again. Go figure that it happens to be that his wife is from Canada and he has already pitched with Toronto so that would probably make him feel more comfortable in that situation again. Someone will sign with us eventually. Just be patient.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

It sounds like some really tough luck for the Sox again. Go figure that it happens to be that his wife is from Canada and he has already pitched with Toronto so that would probably make him feel more comfortable in that situation again. Someone will sign with us eventually. Just be patient.

It’s not like Hendriks just realized his wife is from Canada. I thought it was common knowledge on here that she is from Montreal, and they would be a contender.  Jays are desperate to spend money. Also I think they get him because he lives in Florida and their spring training is 3 hours away.

It sounds like some tough luck for the Sox again. Go figure that it happens to be that his wife is from Canada and he has already pitched with Toronto so that would probably make him feel more comfortable in that situation again. Someone will sign with us eventually. Just be patient.

Toronto is like 330+ miles from Montreal and is vastly different culturally.  I’m not sure this is the end of world for us.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, we can all be pissed if we miss out, but some people took the Wheeler stuff way too far

I don't recall. What exactly happened?

It's ultimately not bad luck if you suck.  And I absolutely believe the way we have handled things, namely with the Machado and TLR situations, will have an affect on how suitors will look at coming here.

People are kidding themselves if they think money is literally the only factor when players decide where to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It just seems comes 2023 that Hendriks contract will be horrible. Not sure the Sox can risk that given Jerry’s cheapness.

Just now, RagahRagah said:

I don't recall. What exactly happened?

It's ultimately not bad luck if you suck.  And I absolutely believe the way we have handled things, namely with the Machado and TLR situations, will have an affect on how suitors will look at coming here.

People are kidding themselves if they think money is literally the only factor when players decide where to go.

Lynn wanted to play for Tony and not Ricky. Rumor is Hendriks has a good relationship with Tony. People really need to stop acting like every player thinks he’s the boogeyman.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s not like Hendriks just realized his wife is from Canada. I thought it was common knowledge on here that she is from Montreal, and they would be a contender.  Jays are desperate to spend money. Also I think they get him because he lives in Florida and their spring training is 3 hours away.

Makes sense but there are a lot of factors to consider when moving to a different city. It can be a very difficult decision to make. 

Edited by maloney.adam

I’ll be honest, if winning is at all a factor to Hendriks, the White Sox are a no-brainer assuming the money is close.  The Blue Jays have a ton of talent, but will have to battle the Yankees for the foreseeable future plus perpetual threats in Boston & Tampa.  The Twins are obviously really good, but they aren’t the juggernaut New York and Cleveland is at least taking some step backward with Clevinger and eventually Lindor dealt.  Outside of possibly the NL Central, there isn’t another division I’d rather be in right now.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, if winning is at all a factor to Hendriks, the White Sox are a no-brainer assuming the money is close.  The Blue Jays have a ton of talent, but will have to battle the Yankees for the foreseeable future plus perpetual threats in Boston & Tampa.  The Twins are obviously really good, but they aren’t the juggernaut New York and Cleveland is at least taking some step backward with Clevinger and eventually Lindor dealt.  Outside of possibly the NL Central, there isn’t another division I’d rather be in right now.

We said this about Wheeler last offseason...lol

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lynn wanted to play for Tony and not Ricky. Rumor is Hendriks has a good relationship with Tony. People really need to stop acting like every player thinks he’s the boogeyman.

I don't necessarily disagree but that depends on various factors. Pretending it wouldn't affect any players' mindset is just as silly.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope that I’m wrong but I think he’s going to sign with Toronto because of the comfortability thing; he’s played with Toronto before, his wife is from Canada and the Blue Jay’s spring training facility is close to their home in Florida. All that alone is enough. The money thing will not be a factor but the Blue Jays may have even offered a little bit more or will do so and at that point it’s a no brainer for him.  

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I hope that I’m wrong but I think he’s going to sign with Toronto because of the comfortability thing, his wife is from Canada and the Blue Jay’s spring training facility is close to their home in Florida. All that alone is enough. The money thing will not be a factor but the Blue Jays may have even offered more or will do so and at that point it’s a no brainer for him.  

Do we know for sure the Canadian government will even allow the Jays to play at home this upcoming season? Not like much has changed here. In fact, it's much worse that it was back in July/August.

I don't buy the wife is from Canada and he's leaning toward the Blue Jays crap. If he's dead set on playing in his wife's home country, he wouldn't have met with other teams to begin and have them on a list of finalists. Just another ploy by the agent to get Sox (or other bidders) to up their offer or give a 4th year (if they are not giving it already).

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic