Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, bmags said:

I don't care what artificial constraints need to be put in place...but baseball has to get a better offseason. It gets worse every year.

Yep and if Sox fans are bored, can you imagine a fan base like the Brewers that haven’t done a single thing?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Ok so how do you want to settle it than? I’m honestly not here to gain attention but it appears that’s how I’m perceived.

I'm not trying to settle anything.   I'm just witnessing yet another off-season where someone grabs onto a suspect group of Twitter handles and acts as if they have the mole in the front office.  Every fuckin year we have the same bullshit, and then we have people like you who are like "well this account has never been wrong in the 4 months they have existed"

just waiting for Hendriks to sign with the Blue Jays and those accounts to state they knew the Sox were out all along

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Ok so how do you want to settle it than? I’m honestly not here to gain attention but it appears that’s how I’m perceived.

Who cares if people think you're him.  

I think it would be fun to be the "Fake Al's"... In fact... I now announce that I am Al's Cheesy Beef!

58 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm not trying to settle anything.   I'm just witnessing yet another off-season where someone grabs onto a suspect group of Twitter handles and acts as if they have the mole in the front office.  Every fuckin year we have the same bullshit, and then we have people like you who are like "well this account has never been wrong in the 4 months they have existed"

just waiting for Hendriks to sign with the Blue Jays and those accounts to state they knew the Sox were out all along

When did I ever say that those accounts have never been wrong? Maybe it’s because I post their tweets on here a lot but I post that stuff to give you guys information or something to talk about. Not to gain attention. 

Those guys have been wrong before in the past. NSC was wrong at the trade deadline. Even Al’s and Portillos have been wrong on some stuff. I agree that some of the information they post is pretty crazy and sometimes I wonder where they come up with it but most of it has been informative. 

Edited by maloney.adam

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't care what artificial constraints need to be put in place...but baseball has to get a better offseason. It gets worse every year.

Seriously. NBA free agency starts and they're all signed by the end of the week.

We are in January and all of the big name free agents are still out there. Don't know what could be done to speed it up each year , but it needs to.

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Look, I’m going to admit that I am a big believer in Al’s and Portillo’s. There is a long list of things that they had first. I will spare you listing them all but Al’s never promised a Hendriks signing. Al had a tweet yesterday that I agree with. He said that there are things that he has posted first (for example Hendriks is the Sox #1 priority) then the next day Nightengale tweets it and weeks later people accuse Al‘s of stealing from Nightengale. He said Hendriks and his agent left MVP. I’ve looked and it’s listed nowhere. Weeks later people confirm this. I don’t think Maloney should get the hate he gets for posting this stuff. Portillos has been posting for well over a year without a following. This isn’t your typical fake account stuff. Also, Al’s is followed by and interacts with a bunch of real reporters. Plus think of it this way, without Maloney posting these accounts, this board would be dead this offseason.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Look, I’m going to admit that I am a big believer in Al’s and Portillo’s. There is a long list of things that they had first. I will spare you listing them all but Al’s never promised a Hendriks signing. Al had a tweet yesterday that I agree with. He said that there are things that he has posted first (for example Hendriks is the Sox #1 priority) then the next day Nightengale tweets it and weeks later people accuse Al‘s of stealing from Nightengale. He said Hendriks and his agent left MVP. I’ve looked and it’s listed nowhere. Weeks later people confirm this. I don’t think Maloney should get the hate he gets for posting this stuff. Portillos has been posting for well over a year without a following. This isn’t your typical fake account stuff. Also, Al’s is followed by and interacts with a bunch of real reporters. Plus think of it this way, without Maloney posting these accounts, this board would be dead this offseason.

Hey man feel free to believe in whatever you want.  Not Rick Hahn still hasn't lived down a two year olds birthday party so knock yourself out 

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hey man feel free to believe in whatever you want.  Not Rick Hahn still hasn't lived down a two year olds birthday party so knock yourself out 

If you remember, I have historically been anti “inside sources”. The boredom of this offseason caused me to pay more attention and I believe they may be on to something. 

Edited by Orlando

Just now, Orlando said:

If you remember, I have historically been anti “inside sources”. The boredom of this offseason caused me to pay more attention and I believe it they may be on to something. 

Honestly man I never pay attention to that shit.  

Look, sometimes there is a k0na, a Katy perrys Bootyhole.  Most of the time it's Dan Clark sports and not-cichek

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly man I never pay attention to that shit.  

Look, sometimes there is a k0na, a Katy perrys Bootyhole.  Most of the time it's Dan Clark sports and not-cichek

Totally agree there. Maybe it’s hope because I desperately want the Sox to get better lol but honestly, I have paid attention to these guys and nothing has made me turn on them yet. If they are wrong, I’d totally rip them. K0na is the goat btw.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Anything in here about Hendriks?

So amazing how Manfred thinks so hard how to improve the game, but continues to watch his league make it harder for the top talent to play in their league. 

42 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Lol, I vaguely remember this. What did you hear at that party again ?

Just that it wasn't likely that the Sox were going sign Manny or Harper.  Hindsight I probably shouldn't have shared details on that.

Leave it to the experts like cheesybeefs

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Anything in here about Hendriks?

This is the blurb on relievers (nothing specific about Hendriks):

4. In November, one particularly reliever-needy general manager scoffed at the idea that he would hit the market and scoop up some of the best available. "Why would I do that," he asked, "when there are going to be so many guys available late?"

The GM's assertion that the relief market was oversaturated and wouldn't move until after Jan. 1 was wildly accurate, and perhaps even an understatement. Trevor May, who received $15.5 million over two years from the Mets, is the highest-paid reliever this winter. Tommy Kahnle is second -- and he will miss most, if not all, of the 2021 season recovering from Tommy John surgery. Greg Holland is next at $2.75 million and Hansel Robles after him at $2 million. No other reliever has received more than $1.25 million.

The list of solid relievers still jobless is long and a function of the free-agent market in recent years shifting more toward short-term deals, which eventually was going to flood the supply. Liam Hendriks is the clear king of the class. He is unsigned. Executives generally see the next tier as Blake Treinen, Alex Colome, Trevor Rosenthal and Brad Hand. May is the only one of that ilk to get paid. Beyond them, the list of bullpen arms with a good history -- past or recent -- is long: Jake McGee, Archie Bradley, Ken Giles, Kirby Yates, Tyler Clippard, Shane Greene, Brandon Kintzler, Mark Melancon, Brandon Workman, Justin Wilson and plenty more. For those who don't want to pay name-brand price, like the GM above, there are dozens more. All told, the list of free-agent relievers numbers around 100. And as the GM suggested, if he can get 80% of the production for a fraction of the price, that's what he's going to do.

As free agents start signing and roster spots are squeezed, relievers will start grabbing big league deals right and left. The tune for relief-pitching musical chairs will stop, and dozens will accept minor league deals. This mess for relievers is years in the making. This year, more than any before, the paradigm shift away from veterans and toward hard-throwing, cheap young arms is clear.

Edited by SoxBlanco

Feels like the agents are wanting NYM or LAD to jump in big on Hendriks but it doesnt seem to be happening. Toronto and the Sox are the types of teams that show interest and get told to wait until the big boys are done figuring things out. Toronto is a natural place for agents to use them in rumors since they arent in the country (and likely wont be playing in their home country even in year 1 of any contract)

Doesnt make sense for San Diego to go get Hendriks since they just gave quality prospects for Snell. Were they to go get Hendriks, that means they're paying a closer more than what they just got their near-ace for.  Could have just paid a free agent starter if that was the plan.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic