Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Drake Is Our Leader said:

Feels like the agents are wanting NYM or LAD to jump in big on Hendriks but it doesnt seem to be happening. Toronto and the Sox are the types of teams that show interest and get told to wait until the big boys are done figuring things out. Toronto is a natural place for agents to use them in rumors since they arent in the country (and likely wont be playing in their home country even in year 1 of any contract)

Doesnt make sense for San Diego to go get Hendriks since they just gave quality prospects for Snell. Were they to go get Hendriks, that means they're paying a closer more than what they just got their near-ace for.  Could have just paid a free agent starter if that was the plan.

But snell is better than any of the free agent starters near Hendriks cost.

1 hour ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Seriously. NBA free agency starts and they're all signed by the end of the week.

We are in January and all of the big name free agents are still out there. Don't know what could be done to speed it up each year , but it needs to.

I enjoy baseball's offseason dragging on. If we had one week of free agency, then 3 months of silence, that would suck IMO.

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I enjoy baseball's offseason dragging on. If we had one week of free agency, then 3 months of silence, that would suck IMO.

If free agents would sign within the first few weeks then a trade market could develop. I can imagine the big names on the market deter clubs from engaging in certain trade talk. I think the off season would be more entertaining and less of a scatter for the fans and front office alike.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ben Waffleson said:

If free agents would sign within the first few weeks then a trade market could develop. I can imagine the big names on the market deter clubs from engaging in certain trade talk. I think the off season would be more entertaining and less of a scatter for the fans and front office alike.

To each his own. I just like that me and my friends talk baseball all winter, which the offseason dragging on allows. The Blackhawks start in less than 2 weeks, and we're talking as much about the Sox as the Hawks at my work. I like not having to shut baseball off ever, like we generally do with other sports.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

But snell is better than any of the free agent starters near Hendriks cost.

Sure but it just speaks to their thought process on how to handle their offseason. You spend prospects when you are ready to not break the bank on a Bauer+Tanaka. So there's an element of cost consciousness in what SD is doing even though we of course are all praising their offseason (rightly)

Edited by Drake Is Our Leader

4 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

I like the discussion and anticipation. People have no patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

The Lance Lynn trade wasn't even a month ago.

Come on, basically the entire free agent class is still unsigned. There were some trades, but there are more teams than the white sox.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Drake Is Our Leader said:

Feels like the agents are wanting NYM or LAD to jump in big on Hendriks but it doesnt seem to be happening. Toronto and the Sox are the types of teams that show interest and get told to wait until the big boys are done figuring things out. Toronto is a natural place for agents to use them in rumors since they arent in the country (and likely wont be playing in their home country even in year 1 of any contract)

Doesnt make sense for San Diego to go get Hendriks since they just gave quality prospects for Snell. Were they to go get Hendriks, that means they're paying a closer more than what they just got their near-ace for.  Could have just paid a free agent starter if that was the plan.

Chris Cotillo tweeted that he heard Astros are heavily involved with Hendriks 

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

For some people it’s creates suspense but for some people they just want something to happen already. To be fair though, COVID did have an effect on this offseason but MLB really needs to find a way to strike a balance.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, there are a ton of extenuating circumstances to this off season.

It's no different than the last 3. Everything in baseball incentivizes being more excruciating in order to get an advantage.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I imagine a fair number of players have received zero interest at this point.  Their anticipation must be on the roof by now.  Not everyone is a star with 5 teams bidding on their services.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

For some people it’s creates suspense but for some people they just want something to happen already. MLB really needs to find a way to strike a balance.

Like I said, no patience. Sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

Edited by ptatc
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It's no different than the last 3. Everything in baseball incentivizes being more excruciating in order to get an advantage.

The financial situation is 180 degrees different.  We are less than 3 months from opening day and literally no team in baseball knows what their dollar flow is going to look like then.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The financial situation is 180 degrees different.  We are less than 3 months from opening day and literally no team in baseball knows what their dollar flow is going to look like then.

The outcome is no different. Does this feel like a materially different offseason than last year? Or the year before, or before. The White Sox play free agency more than most teams so it has been more interesting, but this is just ridiculous.

And next year there are like 8 top ten short stops in free agency. How fun! Going to be great to have the entire market ice cold as we writers rationalize that we need them to sign for the rest to shake out.

15 minutes ago, Sarava said:

NBA offseason >>> MLB

A typical NBA offseason:

Draft --> Free Agency (with high initial activity) --> Summer League --> Training Camp

Throw in the Olympics/FIBA, and there's actual basketball content going on all summer. Baseball can't compare. Instead our premiere offseason events are the Arizona Fall League, which sucks to watch compared to the Summer League, and bunch of team executives and agents meeting at a hotel for a week, where stuff may or may not happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, suspense.

Hitchcock was famed for his 8 hour long movies where the likely scenarios were given in the first scene and then he strung you along for 8 hours until you realized you didn't even give a shit anymore.

Just now, Quin said:

NBA offseason >>> MLB

A typical NBA offseason:

Draft --> Free Agency (with high initial activity) --> Summer League --> Training Camp

Throw in the Olympics/FIBA, and there's actual basketball content going on all summer. Baseball can't compare. Instead our premiere offseason events are the Arizona Fall League, which sucks to watch compared to the Summer League, and bunch of team executives and agents meeting at a hotel for a week, where stuff may or may not happen.

every league. Every. League.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

The outcome is no different. Does this feel like a materially different offseason than last year? Or the year before, or before. The White Sox play free agency more than most teams so it has been more interesting, but this is just ridiculous.

And next year there are like 8 top ten short stops in free agency. How fun! Going to be great to have the entire market ice cold as we writers rationalize that we need them to sign for the rest to shake out.

It feels very different to me.  There was a LOT more movement of players by this point last year.

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Like I said, no patience. Sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

What journey is there right now?  A bunch of people arguing about whether food accounts are real or not.  Is that the journey we're enjoying?  To me it's boring as all hell.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, there are a ton of extenuating circumstances to this off season.

People in general would be more understanding if it was just this offseason but this is the way every baseball offseason goes now.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Thanks 2

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic