Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Devils advocate thinking but for approximately the same AAV and fewer years as Hendriks, it's feasable WS could sign both Colome and Hand for a super-pen w/LH and RH closers.

I’d wager Colome & Hand both get an $8M AAV, which is more than the $12.5M I’m guessing Hendriks will get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Devils advocate thinking but for approximately the same AAV and fewer years as Hendriks, it's feasable WS could sign both Colome and Hand for a super-pen w/LH and RH closers.

I certainly think your plan is a reasonable alternative to Hendriks.  I still think we get Hendriks but there are alternatives to overpaying for his services.

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d wager Colome & Hand both get an $8M AAV, which is more than the $12.5M I’m guessing Hendriks will get.

Dunno...maybe, but also possible they sign closer to 6.5-7ish and Hendriks @14. Guessing Hand and Colome available on 1 yr deals (w/option and small buyout). I think I'd rather sign Hendriks but you can make a strong economic and performance case for 2 heads (arms) being better than 1. 

3 hours ago, Flash said:

ATM I feel I would prefer this.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But that's also trusting the front office to get into and win TWO bidding wars to build our super pen. What's stopping them from signing one to $8.5M and balking when the price goes up on the other as well? Then we're stuck with one inferior piece. On paper this sounds like a great idea, but the reality is that hoping for this outcome to actually happen in this off-season is higher risk.

While I'd love the look of a super pen like that, I have higher confidence that we can just sign Hendriks and be done with it.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rosenthal confirms in his notes column today the Astros are interested in Hendriks. They tried to sign him and Treinen, so they obviously are looking to spend on the pen.

He’s going to sign with either Toronto or Houston. I’m just not as confident in him signing with us and there are other options on the market. It appears though Houston is coming close to the luxury tax threshold so I’m surprised they can afford him while also having to replace Springer, Brantley and Reddick. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

He’s going to sign with either Toronto or Houston. I’m just not as confident in him signing with us and there are other options on the market. It appears though Houston is coming close to the luxury tax threshold so I’m surprised they can afford him while also having to replace Springer, Brantley and Reddick. 

These columns that say Houston or Toronto are interested in whoever means nothing.  The WS front office is "interested" in over 100 players IMO.  That doesn't mean we are making offers to anyone.  Columnists have to write about something.  They are grasping for things to write about just like us.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

These columns that say Houston or Toronto are interested in whoever means nothing.  The WS front office is "interested" in over 100 players IMO.  That doesn't mean we are making offers to anyone.  Columnists have to write about something.  They are grasping for things to write about just like us.

This is why we refer to them as "The Fake News Media".

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rosenthal confirms in his notes column today the Astros are interested in Hendriks. They tried to sign him and Treinen, so they obviously are looking to spend on the pen.

It makes me feel good that Astros/Dodgers are going after him, personally.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It makes me feel good that Astros/Dodgers are going after him, personally.

My first thought as well.  Also on a side note, I love how Katz told Giolito he’s going to have the pitchers throw hard and throw their best pitches more. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

My first thought as well.  Also on a side note, I love how Katz told Giolito he’s going to have the pitchers throw hard and throw their best pitches more. 

That seems to be a better plan than.  Hi welcome to the whitesox, here is how you hold the cutter.  Throw it every other pitch.  Oh your breaking balls, leave those at the door.  You wont be needing those as well.    Attack the hitters low right into that launch angle swing people have been talking about.  

Edited by southsideirish71

26 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I don’t know anything about SouthSide Showdown but they have a big following and just tweeted this.

I follow them on FB. Not saying I could do better but they write a lot of ridiculous trade ideas and FA we should go after. The post is nothing more than them trying to get a convo started not some inside info they have.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Smart...pretend you’re not confident here so that it contradicts your Al’s Cheesy Beef account to throw us off the scent that you are him.

(I kid, I kid)

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I follow them on FB. Not saying I could do better but they write a lot of ridiculous trade ideas and FA we should go after. The post is nothing more than them trying to get a convo started not some inside info they have.

Ahh thanks!

John Greenberg this morning:

A source indicates the Sox have made free-agent closer and reigning Mariano Rivera award-winner Liam Hendriks their top target in free agency. There are other bidders in on Hendriks, and another team aggressively meeting his ask could take him away. But the Sox have shown they will shop at the top of the relief market in the past, giving David Robertson a four-year commitment in December 2014, amid another offseason when they were trying to spread their budget across multiple needs. Some sort of impact addition to their late-inning mix seems likely.

Al’s Cheesy Beef a month ago:

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Linebrink getting a 4 year deal is something that I think my mind intentionally blocked out. 

I think that week went like:

1) Sox are going to sign Torii Hunter!
2) Angels sign Torii Hunter
3) White Sox sign Scott Linebrink to 4 year deal

Soxtalk wasn't that happy. That 4 year 19 mill was a pretty shocking deal back then.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think that week went like:

1) Sox are going to sign Torii Hunter!
2) Angels sign Torii Hunter
3) White Sox sign Scott Linebrink to 4 year deal

Soxtalk wasn't that happy. That 4 year 19 mill was a pretty shocking deal back then.

Crazy how the economics have gone full tilt. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic