Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

And not good news for Sox?

Nah, this has to be posturing by us to bring Hendriks' team back into final position.

My guess is they have final offers and want to see if they can squeeze a bit more, we float we're looking at other people, Hendriks settles on the offers in front of him and decides.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Nah, this has to be posturing by us to bring Hendriks' team back into final position.

My guess is they have final offers and want to see if they can squeeze a bit more, we float we're looking at other people, Hendriks settles on the offers in front of him and decides.

This. Makes a lot of sense with the Astros and Dodgers interest floated out there the Sox counter with Hand interest. Hopefully we know where he’s pitching in the next few days.

19 minutes ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

Hahn and Sox need to push issue and not get used by Hendriks for two months.  I would love to have him but don’t be a pawn.  Move on or give an ultimatum.  

We said this before - not only do deadlines not work, they are disrespectful to the agent and the player. 

If you put contract offers out, and you retract them because someone else accepted your offer and you don't need the player any more that's one thing. But you can't say "Sign this by January 10 or we'll walk away" because if you don't have a closer signed on January 11, and they come back and say "we'll accept", they know you'll say yes.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Jesus, this is how the lunacy starts with this fanbase. 

You hear two names mentioned and now they better get both or bust. 

THEY'RE STRUGGLING TO CLOSE THE DEAL FOR ONE GUY!

Yeah they can't afford both.  I'd be happy with either for sure.  Hendricks obviously #1. But I'd love a pivot to Hand as I think he is in tier 2 alone

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Jesus, this is how the lunacy starts with this fanbase. 

You hear two names mentioned and now they better get both or bust. 

THEY'RE STRUGGLING TO CLOSE THE DEAL FOR ONE GUY!

Who said both? Relax. 

Was implying that they had interest in both. Your sounding like the loon here.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

We said this before - not only do deadlines not work, they are disrespectful to the agent and the player. 

If you put contract offers out, and you retract them because someone else accepted your offer and you don't need the player any more that's one thing. But you can't say "Sign this by January 10 or we'll walk away" because if you don't have a closer signed on January 11, and they come back and say "we'll accept", they know you'll say yes.

I do think you can say, hey we want you bad and we'd love to get it done by january 10.  If it doesn't we are going to actively pursue other options, and if still not filled, we'd love to have you have that date. We just want to let you know that january 11th we will actively pursue others".. And they would get the message, if they believe you.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I do think you can say, hey we want you bad and we'd love to get it done by january 10.  If it doesn't we are going to actively pursue other options, and if still not filled, we'd love to have you have that date. We just want to let you know that january 11th we will actively pursue others".. And they would get the message, if they believe you.

That's fair. It's believable. It's also not a hard deadline where "we're pulling our offer and stopping our interest in you so that the fans don't have to talk about this any more". 

Hendriks's side right now knows that teams have other options other than him. But he also does. He probably has 3 or 4 teams right now that will sign him to $35 million deals, but he wants $50 million and is willing to wait for a team to bid up into that range.  If one team falls out because they've signed Hand, he can still sign the next comparable deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd love to have Hendriks, but my guess is I won't lose any sleep over the Sox missing out on him if he's getting anything more than like 3/$36M, which he will.  

Thats why I understand the Brad Hand link. He had 10.5m left and went completely unclaimed. You have to imagine hes gonna cost >8-9m

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic