Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

The Codify stuff is real. Hendriks loves the company and attributes much of his success to them. Not sure how much the White Sox want it out there but they're probably the most Codify friendly team in the sport currently. Yasmani Grandal and Lucas Giolito love it. Keuchel uses it now too and McCann will likely turn the Mets onto it. It's a big deal to Hendriks. Hopefully it helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 3

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Codify stuff is real. Hendriks loves the company and attributes much of his success to them. Not sure how much the White Sox want it out there but they're probably the most Codify friendly team in the sport currently. Yasmani Grandal and Lucas Giolito love it. Keuchel uses it now too and McCann will likely turn the Mets onto it. It's a big deal to Hendriks. Hopefully it helps. 

Love to hear it. Hope it pushes him to the Sox. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Thanks Beef.... I mean Not Steve... I mean Portillos... I mean RH... I mean James. I mean Jimmy.

I mean, I’ll just shut up now.

• Haha 6
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Even if it's not their product, it's nice to hear about the Sox being on the cutting edge of *something* positive.

5 hours ago, kwill said:

I just to say that giving a 32-year-old reliever 4 years is a terrible idea.

We don't have a ton of money like the Cubs or Yankees. We need to use it wisely not just be happy that they are spending money. 

I mean, the dodgers are balking about giving him 4 years if the above posted tweet is to be believed.  So it isn't even about having the money to do it.  Four years after 30 years old is always a scary gamble for a reliever

5 hours ago, kwill said:

We don't have a ton of money like the Cubs or Yankees. We need to use it wisely not just be happy that they are spending money. 

It might be a bad idea. But does anyone else get the feeling the Sox are viewing this as a strict 3 year window to go all out (all out as far as Jerry's wallet will allow at least). And if something blows up in their face, then it does.

If you fast forward 3 years, Lynn will likely be gone, Keuchel will be gone, Giolito will be a free agent (barring an extension at some point), La Russa and Reinsdorf are obviously a bit long in the tooth. The next 3 years seems like the prime window, and if they are unwilling to take risks, then they hurt their chances of converting on a World Series trophy.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

It might be a bad idea. But does anyone else get the feeling the Sox are viewing this as a strict 3 year window to go all out (all out as far as Jerry's wallet will allow at least). And if something blows up in their face, then it does.

If you fast forward 3 years, Lynn will likely be gone, Keuchel will be gone, Giolito will be a free agent (barring an extension at some point), La Russa and Reinsdorf are obviously a bit long in the tooth. The next 3 years seems like the prime window, and if they are unwilling to take risks, then they hurt their chances of converting on a World Series trophy.

Even if this blows up, I don't see it being that consequential. It really wouldn't be that hard to move if you just wanted the salary off.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Even if this blows up, I don't see it being that consequential. It really wouldn't be that hard to move if you just wanted the salary off.

I think it might be consequential potentially, especially if injuries come up. But if ever there is a time to take on a bit more of a risk than they normally would, it's now. Even if you give him 4 years @ 50 mil. In a normal time, that might not be a great signing. But I think right now it would be a great signing.

I keep thinking back to 2016, how Andrew Miller was the ALCS MVP, and Chapman dominated for the Cubs. A shutdown bullpen can take a team really far.

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I think it might be consequential potentially, especially if injuries come up. But if ever there is a time to take on a bit more of a risk than they normally would, it's now. Even if you give him 4 years @ 50 mil. In a normal time, that might not be a great signing. But I think right now it would be a great signing.

I keep thinking back to 2016, how Andrew Miller was the ALCS MVP, and Chapman dominated for the Cubs. A shutdown bullpen can take a team really far.

I agree...but a contract of 4 years at 10 million is a lot different than a contract of 4 years at 15 million.  Beyond 4 years and 48 million...I would take one of the other alternatives.  

Went to bed last night hoping we sign Hendriks. Woke up this morning opposed to a 4 year deal. I'm actually opposed to anything longer than 2 years (w/option for 3) but realize 3 is the minimum where Hendriks is concerned. My concern stems from the cost/time commitment (I believe there are other areas we should focus/invest) as well as the plethora of young arms who, if given the chance, might turn out to be dudes. Guys like Burdi, Johnson, Heuer, Bummer, Foster, Marshall and maybe even Lopez. If we commit to 4 years of Hendriks or any addition, we might not ever find out if any of our current young guns can realize their potential. I'm for signing someone to a 2 year deal. Guessing Colome, Hand or Yates would go 2 years (or 1 w/option) and at far less AAV. 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Went to bed last night hoping we sign Hendriks. Woke up this morning opposed to a 4 year deal. I'm actually opposed to anything longer than 2 years (w/option for 3) but realize 3 is the minimum where Hendriks is concerned. My concern stems from the cost/time commitment (I believe there are other areas we should focus/invest) as well as the plethora of young arms who, if given the chance, might turn out to be dudes. Guys like Burdi, Johnson, Heuer, Bummer, Foster, Marshall and maybe even Lopez. If we commit to 4 years of Hendriks or any addition, we might not ever find out if any of our current young guns can realize their potential. I'm for signing someone to a 2 year deal. Guessing Colome, Hand or Yates would go 2 years (or 1 w/option) and at far less AAV. 

Where else would you invest out of curiosity?

6 hours ago, kwill said:

Do we have confirmation that he's received any 4-year deals? The off-season started with people talking 3/39M and saying whoever good to 4 will get him. Maybe were all still waiting for him to sign because no one wants to give him that 4th year.

Have to imagine if he had a deal for 4/48M on the table from anyone right now, he'd be signed. This may play into our favor where every team realizes that extra year and money in this market is not going to happen.

Edited by MiddleCoastBias
  • Like 2

I will say this, I think if any team had offered him four years in this market he’d have jumped on it by now, which means he may be sitting on three year offers from all clubs.  No doubt he is far and away the best reliever in this free agent class, but I could easily see a lot of value-conscious teams, especially in this market, seeing the next tier of closers sitting in the 2/$15M to 2/$19M range (Hand, Colome, & Rosenthal) and saying why pay up to 4/$50M for Hendriks.  Hell, if you really want to save money and are willing to take some risk you can probably get Yates for like 1/$7M or less.  And that’s even accounting for interesting guys like McGee or Bradley.  Point is there are a lot of reasonably-priced options out there and I’m starting to struggle seeing Hendriks getting that 4th year.  With that said, I’m a sure a four year deal will be announced today...lol.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Do we have confirmation that he's received any 4-year deals? The off-season started with people talking 3/39M and saying whoever good to 4 will get him. Maybe were all still waiting for him to sign because no one wants to give him that 4th year.

Have to imagine if he had a deal for 4/48M on the table from anyone right now, he'd be signed. This may play into our favor where every team realizes that extra year and money in this market is not going to happen.

Fully agree and just typed up something similar.

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic