Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright random question time, but let’s say we trade Madrigal, Heuer, & Stiever for Sonny Gray and then sign Hendriks & La Stella or Wong.  Are we the team to beat in the AL?  Whether you like that trade or not, I think the clear answer is yes.

Easily, though tampa is always capable of their voodoo magic.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright random question time, but let’s say we trade Madrigal, Heuer, & Stiever for Sonny Gray and then sign Hendriks & La Stella or Wong.  Are we the team to beat in the AL?  Whether you like that trade or not, I think the clear answer is yes.

On paper, yeah, I’d think so. That’s a killer rotation. Depends on what the Yankees do too. They have some big holes to fill as well and I don’t think they will stand pat.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

On paper, yeah, I’d think so. That’s a killer rotation. Depends on what the Yankees do too. They have some big holes to fill as well and I don’t think they will stand pat.

They may not stand pat but they are way more aware of the lux tax than I expected. They'll sign lemahieu then who knows what.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As of the moment that was done, yes, pending anyone’s response. And of course, the favorite doesn’t always win. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

They may not stand pat but they are way more aware of the lux tax than I expected. They'll sign lemahieu then who knows what.

I wonder if they’re thinking about taking advantage of the depressed market and jumping in late as the savior of some of these guys, with 1 year or discounted deals that help them too.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I wonder if they’re thinking about taking advantage of the depressed market and jumping in late as the savior of some of these guys, with 1 year or discounted deals that help them too.

NY raiding the vets off a down year like paxton, kluber, etc. seems feasible. They'll have the luxury tax hanging over their heads next year though and I'd bet they are eyeing one of the top SS.

Such a weird year.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we do all of that at this point, yes. The Yankees can retake the throne by signing pitchers and DJ though. Tampa Bay will still be a tough out as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this, I think if any team had offered him four years in this market he’d have jumped on it by now, which means he may be sitting on three year offers from all clubs.  No doubt he is far and away the best reliever in this free agent class, but I could easily see a lot of value-conscious teams, especially in this market, seeing the next tier of closers sitting in the 2/$15M to 2/$19M range (Hand, Colome, & Rosenthal) and saying why pay up to 4/$50M for Hendriks.  Hell, if you really want to save money and are willing to take some risk you can probably get Yates for like 1/$7M or less.  And that’s even accounting for interesting guys like McGee or Bradley.  Point is there are a lot of reasonably-priced options out there and I’m starting to struggle seeing Hendriks getting that 4th year.  With that said, I’m a sure a four year deal will be announced today...lol.

Are your balls tingly? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Easily, though tampa is always capable of their voodoo magic.

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As of the moment that was done, yes, pending anyone’s response. And of course, the favorite doesn’t always win. 

Then I ask the obvious question of “why not make it happen”?  Clearly the Reds may not go for it, but if they would, we can add all that and still have a roster right around $140M which sounds like an level Jerry is willing to spend.

I’m trying to think of the downside here.  Yes, you use lose a dirt cheap Madrigal for the next six years, but we should be able to replace him at a modest cost during this upcoming three year window while buying us some time to find a long-term answer.

Yes, you lose five potential years of Heuer, but we do have several interesting relief prospects in Burdi & Johnson plus two other guys who could probably fill into a middle relief immediately in Cordero or Lambert.

You also lose one of your best, most advanced starting pitching prospects, but now you’re a legit six deep entering 2021 and hopefully Crochet can factor into the mix starting in 2022 if you don’t resign Lynn (heath permitting of course.)

Yes, this trade would be a risk, but it would be a calculated one that potentially sets you up to be the AL team to beat in 2021 and hopefully through 2023.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Then I ask the obvious question of “why not make it happen”?  Clearly the Reds may not go for it, but if they would, we can add all that and still have a roster right around $140M which sounds like an level Jerry is willing to spend.

I’m trying to think of the downside here.  Yes, you use lose a dirt cheap Madrigal for the next six years, but we should be able to replace him at a modest cost during this upcoming three year window while buying us some time to find a long-term answer.

Yes, you lose five potential years of Heuer, but we do have several interesting relief prospects in Burdi & Johnson plus two other guys who could probably fill into a middle relief immediately in Cordero or Lambert.

You also lose one of your best, most advanced starting pitching prospects, but now you’re a legit six deep entering 2021 and hopefully Crochet can factor into the mix starting in 2022 if you don’t resign Lynn (heath permitting of course.)

Yes, this trade would be a risk, but it would be a calculated one that potentially sets you up to be the AL team to beat in 2021 and hopefully through 2023.

I guess it's just that I don't really like Gray and you can't shoot those bullets twice. He's an improvement but not like, the kind of improvement I've wanted.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

I guess it's just that I don't really like Gray and you can't shoot those bullets twice. He's an improvement but not like, the kind of improvement I've wanted.

I get what you’re saying, but I think the challenge is the Sox want to use Madrigal as their big trade chip and he’s going to have a very limited market in terms of teams that are willing to both value him as a top 40 prospect and have an opening right now for him.  If you find a buyer now, it may be hard to pass up.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They signed young players to long term deals to contend for the next 5 years or so. They view their contention window longer than 2023. So why do anything to diminish that for the short term. Frequently the best team on paper doesn't win so they want to give themselves the most chances at it.

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well I can add that as of now, the white Sox are already the betting favorite in the AL. They are behind the Dodgers and Padres, even with the moves you list they likely remain behind those teams in odds, and it’s hard to believe the Astros and Yankees won’t do something to take advantage of good teams and all those free agents. So given that the payroll in 2022 is already committed to go up, how much aid anyone willing to push right now? 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well I can add that as of now, the white Sox are already the betting favorite in the AL. They are behind the Dodgers and Padres, even with the moves you list they likely remain behind those teams in odds, and it’s hard to believe the Astros and Yankees won’t do something to take advantage of good teams and all those free agents. So given that the payroll in 2022 is already committed to go up, how much aid anyone willing to push right now? 

While it's not sexy for betting markets, Hendriks and another starter could put them up there.

Didn't @bmags drop numbers where a dominant bullpen + good offense is like, the indicator for victory, or am I making that up? Obviously you need a good rotation to go with it, but Hendriks + internal growth for an already top ten bullpen can set them up nicely.

(This is no excuse to not spend on the rotation)

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'm okay trading those assets but probably not for Gray. If we are prepared to bundle a strong package of prospects for a starter, let's try to pry Corbin Burnes from the Brewers. Not sure how they would value Madrigal (they have Hiura at 2nd) but they need help pretty much everywhere else except RF (Yelich). Maybe swap out Madrigal with Cease and add Sheets and maybe Mercedes and we can get a conversation started with them.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'm okay trading those assets but probably not for Gray. If we are prepared to bundle a strong package of prospects for a starter, let's try to pry Corbin Burnes from the Brewers. Not sure how they would value Madrigal (they have Hiura at 2nd) but they need help pretty much everywhere else except RF (Yelich). Maybe swap out Madrigal with Cease and add Sheets and maybe Mercedes and we can get a conversation started with them.

Sheets and Mercedes do not have the trade value you think they do. You would need to trade top assists for a young, cheap, pitcher like Burnes. I don’t even think Cease + Madrigal gets them to listen.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic