Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

All for Twitter speculation in a boring offseason but if he’s right he has known something for days that not even a reporter very connected to the Blue Jays does . Plus Codify is still tweeting about Hendriks like he’s available.

Good points - hope you're right. Fingers crossed!

13 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

As of right now every proven major league starting pitcher we have is gone in 3 years.  Hopefully we’re not at our peak but we sure as hell may be.  I keep saying it but the time to make something happen is absolutely right now because as much as we all hope we’re building some type of dynasty(we’re not), we have no clue what this roster is going to look like in 4 years.

Can you please tell this to "The Chicago White Sox", rather than to their fans? Because their fans are responding to their behavior, where they seem to have a strong payroll limit where they are flat out unwilling to go after the top players.

Consider our competition in San Diego. This offseason, they just added a starting pitcher, highly paid but very effective the last year and a half, under contract for several years. They are about to sign their second $300 million+ contract. Some of the moves they make will not look good at the end - some already don't, but they realize they can beat the Dodgers right now and are acting like it. If they take losses the next year or two, they believe it will be worth it because they can bring a title to San Diego. 

Compare that to the Chicago White Sox. They see Lance Lynn, who has been almost as good the last few years, and say "this is a guy we need to add!". Yes! We can win this year! Then, they see a major hole in right field, where White Sox fans have been eyeing George Springer, a playoff proven player who would be a nearly perfect fit, who even hit righties better than lefties the last 2 years so that platoon thing isn't a big worry - and they say "We signed Adam Eaton for $6 million before someone else could get him!!!". They look at their need of a reliever, in this thread, where we could get this done right now if we were willing to go to about $50 million give or take, and see "yes, that would be a fair contract for that player, he is the best reliever on the market and would absolutely be a perfect fit for our championship team the next 2 years, and that's why we won't pay that price and will only take him if he's a bargain."

If the White Sox are operating with such a stringent payroll requirement that they cannot risk losing money like the Padres, even though their stadium has been 1/2 full for a decade so there's plenty of opportunity for revenue growth and they've been immensely profitable in recent years...then they need to act like it and hoard years of control. If you cannot afford to play with the big boys in San Diego of all places, then you cannot give up 6 years of a potentially decent starter for 1 year of a hopefully very good starter. You cannot waste money in noncompetitive years (2019's wasted $50 million), you cannot trade young players for expensive closers who you hold in 1 competitive season, you cannot trade away your international signing dollars because your scouts are lazy and your owner is stubborn, you cannot put a potential long term starter in your bullpen rather than starting to stretch him out and preserving his service time, and this list of issues could go on. If you have such a salary limit, you have to run with the things you can develop and already control, and you have to try to steal guys with years of control. You may have a more money to play with, but you have to think like the A's, Baseball Club Cleveland, or Rays, and pinch every penny. Maybe you have enough money you don’t have to trade away every good player, but you have to constantly be thinking long term.

If the White Sox are going to trade controlled young players for 34 year old starters who have been very good the last few years but have 1 year of control remaining, then they need to act like they're going to win right now and they're willing to lose money to do it.. Hendricks's contract may be Herrera bad in year 4, but if you have 2 straight world series appearances and a title, congrats on the 38,000 season tickets sold in 2024. 

If you're right, and this roster could be substantially weaker after 2024, then they need to act like the 2nd of these. If they can't afford to, then they shouldn't have put themselves in a position where they are giving away players they control after that point like Dunning and spending years of control on Crochet in the bullpen. Pick a path.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Can you please tell this to "The Chicago White Sox", rather than to their fans? Because their fans are responding to their behavior, where they seem to have a strong payroll limit where they are flat out unwilling to go after the top players.

Consider our competition in San Diego. This offseason, they just added a starting pitcher, highly paid but very effective the last year and a half, under contract for several years. They are about to sign their second $300 million+ contract. Some of the moves they make will not look good at the end - some already don't, but they realize they can beat the Dodgers right now and are acting like it. If they take losses the next year or two, they believe it will be worth it because they can bring a title to San Diego. 

Compare that to the Chicago White Sox. They see Lance Lynn, who has been almost as good the last few years, and say "this is a guy we need to add!". Yes! We can win this year! Then, they see a major hole in right field, where White Sox fans have been eyeing George Springer, a playoff proven player who would be a nearly perfect fit, who even hit righties better than lefties the last 2 years so that platoon thing isn't a big worry - and they say "We signed Adam Eaton for $6 million before someone else could get him!!!". They look at their need of a reliever, in this thread, where we could get this done right now if we were willing to go to about $50 million give or take, and see "yes, that would be a fair contract for that player, he is the best reliever on the market and would absolutely be a perfect fit for our championship team the next 2 years, and that's why we won't pay that price and will only take him if he's a bargain."

If the White Sox are operating with such a stringent payroll requirement that they cannot risk losing money like the Padres, even though their stadium has been 1/2 full for a decade so there's plenty of opportunity for revenue growth and they've been immensely profitable in recent years...then they need to act like it and hoard years of control. If you cannot afford to play with the big boys in San Diego of all places, then you cannot give up 6 years of a potentially decent starter for 1 year of a hopefully very good starter. You cannot waste money in noncompetitive years (2019's wasted $50 million), you cannot trade young players for expensive closers who you hold in 1 competitive season, you cannot trade away your international signing dollars because your scouts are lazy and your owner is stubborn, you cannot put a potential long term starter in your bullpen rather than starting to stretch him out and preserving his service time, and this list of issues could go on. If you have such a salary limit, you have to run with the things you can develop and already control, and you have to try to steal guys with years of control. You may have a more money to play with, but you have to think like the A's, Baseball Club Cleveland, or Rays, and pinch every penny. Maybe you have enough money you don’t have to trade away every good player, but you have to constantly be thinking long term.

If the White Sox are going to trade controlled young players for 34 year old starters who have been very good the last few years but have 1 year of control remaining, then they need to act like they're going to win right now and they're willing to lose money to do it.. Hendricks's contract may be Herrera bad in year 4, but if you have 2 straight world series appearances and a title, congrats on the 38,000 season tickets sold in 2024. 

If you're right, and this roster could be substantially weaker after 2024, then they need to act like the 2nd of these. If they can't afford to, then they shouldn't have put themselves in a position where they are giving away players they control after that point like Dunning and spending years of control on Crochet in the bullpen. Pick a path.

Bauer is a so much more logical pick then Springer. It's not even close. Any World Series team can win it with a guy like Eaton in the lineup. Superior pitching  every day will enhance your chances much more. Add Bauer and maybe you don't have to get the most expensive reliever on the market. Hendriks is a built in excuse not to add big money to the starting rotation.

If Bauer is truly interested in just about any type of contract ,that's in the Sox wheelhouse. He may just be the guy that doesn't want and the longest highest contract he can get.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

I never believed Day's reports.  But glad for the confirmation from cheesy beef!

Day was saying that an announcement could be made at week’s end and nothing has happened. Putting something out there without any sources to back it up is pretty  risky if you ask me.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Day was saying that an announcement could be made at week’s end and nothing has happened. Putting something out there without any sources to back it up is very risky. 

Oh but beef saying 3 weeks ago that a Hendriks deal is coming soon without any sources was newsworthy

• Fire 2

21 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Oh but beef saying 3 weeks ago that a Hendriks deal is coming soon without any sources was newsworthy

Beef is a man (presumably) of integrity. How dare you question that. Do it again, and I will personally report you to the moderators here. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Don't challenge his encyclopedic knowledge of fake Sox rumor twitter account guys.  There are a few posters here who follow these guys around like the national enquirer follows the royal family.  Notcishek can't even take his top off at the beach and let his nips get some sun without some guy like adam maloney or orlando popping up from behind a push to snap a few photos for the next issue of the ragazine.

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Don't challenge his encyclopedic knowledge of fake Sox rumor twitter account guys.  There are a few posters here who follow these guys around like the national enquirer follows the royal family.  Notcishek can't even take his top off at the beach and let his nips get some sun without some guy like adam maloney or orlando popping up from behind a push to snap a few photos for the next issue of the ragazine.

You seem annoyed. Does it bother you that some people believe Beef might actually have sources?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Hey, it’s me Orlando popping up from behind a “push” to tell you that you that you can’t spell and you aren’t funny. Take a breather. I’ve never even posted a NotCishek tweet. 

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

Day was saying that an announcement could be made at week’s end and nothing has happened. Putting something out there without any sources to back it up is pretty  risky if you ask me.

Lol like anybody gives a shit

• Like 1

Anyone having trouble signing onto their COVID-Hookup.com account? I tried resetting my password and it still is giving me an error.

There’s this really hot chick that sent me an email notice who is like two miles away... don’t want to miss the chance to go meet up with her.

Edit: oops.

Edited by hi8is
Sorry, wrong site.
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don’t recall any Beef tweets saying that a deal was coming soon. 

One of those food twitters did. Who gives a shit which one? We have a certain poster who questions others' sources but posts the tweets of these dickwipes like they mean a damn thing. Kind of hilarious all things considered

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

One of those food twitters did. Who gives a shit which one? We have a certain poster who questions others' sources but posts the tweets of these dickwipes like they mean a damn thing. Kind of hilarious all things considered

Lay off Orlando! He brings a lot to this board and this thread. You hardly add anything to conversations but complain and cry about everything. For that you just won a Dewon Day bobble head for that comment.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Fire 2

21 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

It’s this simple for me (if I’m the guy you are taking about) , I question other sources because they haven’t gotten anything right in a long time or have been flat out wrong. I believe what specifically Al’s beef says because he has been right and has yet to be wrong. Some of you make fun of Adam or I for believing this guy but do no research.  I am going to stop posting in this thread because guys like you who complain and cry about it yet add nothing at all to conversation are really annoying. Watch how fast these threads dry up without those tweets. 

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It’s this simple for me (if I’m the guy you are taking about) , I question other sources because they haven’t gotten anything right in a long time or have been flat out wrong. I believe what specifically Al’s beef says because he has been right and has yet to be wrong. Some of you make fun of Adam or I for believing this guy but do no research.  I am going to stop posting in this thread because guys like you who complain and cry about it yet add nothing at all to conversation are really annoying. Watch how fast these threads dry up without those tweets. 

Exactly.

If you don't like the tweets just ignore them and comment on something else like I have to do with yourwhathurts posts.

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Keep doing what you do Orlando. You bring alot to this thread and to soxtalk! I know I enjoy your posts.

• Fire 1

One of the food accounts is legit (forget which) and the other account and NotSteveCishek clearly go off the legit account and Jimmy's info. Just keep posting it all. This has been a boring off season around the MLB and there's not a lot to talk about.

Edit: I can't believe how many teams haven't done anything yet and how many good free agents are still out there "a month away from pitchers and catchers reporting (they won't)".

Edited by manbearpuig

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic