Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

56 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nothing sucks more than someone making a decently clever response, and all my brain returns is "I got nothing, you're on your own."

It's how I imagine Adam Eaton freezes up when his kid asks him why he named him Maverick instead of Goose.

Well if it makes you feel better, I gave you a laugh here.  

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Well if it makes you feel better, I gave you a laugh here.  

I just want mod privileges just so I can see who is always using the laughing emoji at our buddy ragahragah, so I can buy them dinner for cracking me up everytime he flips his shit at someone using it on his posts.

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just want mod privileges just so I can see who is always using the laughing emoji at our buddy ragahragah, so I can buy them dinner for cracking me up everytime he flips his shit at someone using it on his posts.

Him complaining about it didn't help his case at all, I'll tell you that much

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This is a year where agents should be very careful not to overplay their hand.

Agreed. Its a whole different set of circumstances with decreased revenue and the looming CBA.

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Liam Hendriks dropped Dan Lozano in October apparently. He has new representation. 

Our front office is known for grudges so Liam had to drop him. They eventually let people back in, so Lozano will be back in our good graces in 5 years, or if he delivers us a star. 

I don't want Hendriks.  I think the Sox "losing out" on Hendriks is most probably a win.

Reasons:

1) We already have a playoff closer, and he's head and shoulders above anybody on the market, and his name is Garret Crochet.

2) Hendriks at $13M+ per year?  3+ years?  No thanks.  That'll probably go bad.  There's a long and storied history of great RPs who really suck hard like half or more of their multiyear contract.  This sort of thing is almost always a really, really bad idea.

3) We don't need another "strike him out" guy.  What I like about Colome is that, as a groundball pitcher ideally, he only needs one pitch to get an out.  He's trying to pitch to contact.  I would rather have a guy like that at a much lesser cost.  The reality is, especially without robo umps, the more pitches you have to throw to record an out, the more likely it is that you will walk someone.  I saw this guy Hendriks against us in the playoffs where he couldn't throw a strike so bad you might as well have called him Carson Fulmer.  No matter how good he has been, there's a good chance we will see a lot of that with him in a 3+ year deal.

4) We should save the $$$ for good reason: in June or July, there is going to be a possibility that we may be able to take on a contract.  Would the Nats make Scherzer available in his last year if they fall out?  Probably.  That's just one example, but there may be a lot of teams looking to dump a contract around July and if we were to miss on a guy like Scherzer even for a half season to overpay a RP then that's just bad.  If it's a normal postseason this year and not half the league getting in, then there's an excellent chance that the market will be loaded with players whose teams are looking to dump their contracts.  This could really be a great opportunity for us.

5) Also around June or July, there are likely to be lots of RPs out there on the market as is usual, many of whom are guys who people think "suck" now but who are in the middle of career years.  Think about our Swarzak year, and this time, we are looking to acquire a guy like this instead of trade him.  These guys will mostly be available for salary relief and the kinds of players like Sheets, Lambert, Luis Gonzalez, etc. which we have to trade anyway at some point just to clear 40-man space and/or (in Lambert's case) to give an opportunity to. 

6) Going off #1, we just need a "bridge-the-gap" closer, which is why I like Colome, because I think at worst, we're looking at 1 year guaranteed with a vesting 2nd year.  If he needs 2+ guaranteed years then I'm okay waiting on a 1-year guy or trying to trade for someone.  I think we are best off with Heuer and Bummer in their 6th/7th/8th/whenever roles where they can come in and get a big K or groundball, put out the fire and keep us ahead or keep the game winnable for us.  We just need a "clean 9th inning" guy.  That means someone who isn't a threat to walk the whole world and has decent stuff.  Once the playoffs start, Crochet is the guy.  He is the real weapon in our bullpen.

7) Michael Kopech and Jonathan Stiever: here are 2 guys who are starters that are very likely to be coming out of the pen later on in the year, **if** the Sox acquire another starter, and **if**we don't have a SP go down with an injury, then it's Kopech likely going to the rotation.  Now I know some people are down on Stiever seeing 92-95 and not 94-97 and some inconsistency and nerves, but if his stuff gets back and he's coming out of the pen, he could be a weapon at the front who could push some guys back.  And Kopech obviously has the ability to be a monster coming out of the pen.

8 )  SP is still a bigger need.  Don't spend $11M on a low-upside type when you can spend some more on a higher-upside type.

9) Tony needs more money to buy alcohol.  You can't spend it all on Hendriks. then he'll have nothing to drink.

My solution: try to bring Colome back on a 1-year guaranteed deal.  Check in on David Robertson on a MiLB contract with a low base also.  Move on to the best 1-year guy you can if Colome can't be had for 1 guaranteed year.  Look to make a reasonable trade if all else fails.  And if we're going to spend more money, put it toward the best SP available. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I don't want Hendriks.  I think the Sox "losing out" on Hendriks is most probably a win.

Reasons:

1) We already have a playoff closer, and he's head and shoulders above anybody on the market, and his name is Garret Crochet.

2) Hendriks at $13M+ per year?  3+ years?  No thanks.  That'll probably go bad.  There's a long and storied history of great RPs who really suck hard like half or more of their multiyear contract.  This sort of thing is almost always a really, really bad idea.

3) We don't need another "strike him out" guy.  What I like about Colome is that, as a groundball pitcher ideally, he only needs one pitch to get an out.  He's trying to pitch to contact.  I would rather have a guy like that at a much lesser cost.  The reality is, especially without robo umps, the more pitches you have to throw to record an out, the more likely it is that you will walk someone.  I saw this guy Hendriks against us in the playoffs where he couldn't throw a strike so bad you might as well have called him Carson Fulmer.  No matter how good he has been, there's a good chance we will see a lot of that with him in a 3+ year deal.

4) We should save the $$$ for good reason: in June or July, there is going to be a possibility that we may be able to take on a contract.  Would the Nats make Scherzer available in his last year if they fall out?  Probably.  That's just one example, but there may be a lot of teams looking to dump a contract around July and if we were to miss on a guy like Scherzer even for a half season to overpay a RP then that's just bad.  If it's a normal postseason this year and not half the league getting in, then there's an excellent chance that the market will be loaded with players whose teams are looking to dump their contracts.  This could really be a great opportunity for us.

5) Also around June or July, there are likely to be lots of RPs out there on the market as is usual, many of whom are guys who people think "suck" now but who are in the middle of career years.  Think about our Swarzak year, and this time, we are looking to acquire a guy like this instead of trade him.  These guys will mostly be available for salary relief and the kinds of players like Sheets, Lambert, Luis Gonzalez, etc. which we have to trade anyway at some point just to clear 40-man space and/or (in Lambert's case) to give an opportunity to. 

6) Going off #1, we just need a "bridge-the-gap" closer, which is why I like Colome, because I think at worst, we're looking at 1 year guaranteed with a vesting 2nd year.  If he needs 2+ guaranteed years then I'm okay waiting on a 1-year guy or trying to trade for someone.  I think we are best off with Heuer and Bummer in their 6th/7th/8th/whenever roles where they can come in and get a big K or groundball, put out the fire and keep us ahead or keep the game winnable for us.  We just need a "clean 9th inning" guy.  That means someone who isn't a threat to walk the whole world and has decent stuff.  Once the playoffs start, Crochet is the guy.  He is the real weapon in our bullpen.

7) Michael Kopech and Jonathan Stiever: here are 2 guys who are starters that are very likely to be coming out of the pen later on in the year, **if** the Sox acquire another starter, and **if**we don't have a SP go down with an injury, then it's Kopech likely going to the rotation.  Now I know some people are down on Stiever seeing 92-95 and not 94-97 and some inconsistency and nerves, but if his stuff gets back and he's coming out of the pen, he could be a weapon at the front who could push some guys back.  And Kopech obviously has the ability to be a monster coming out of the pen.

8 )  SP is still a bigger need.  Don't spend $11M on a low-upside type when you can spend some more on a higher-upside type.

9) Tony needs more money to buy alcohol.  You can't spend it all on Hendriks. then he'll have nothing to drink.

My solution: try to bring Colome back on a 1-year guaranteed deal.  Check in on David Robertson on a MiLB contract with a low base also.  Move on to the best 1-year guy you can if Colome can't be had for 1 guaranteed year.  Look to make a reasonable trade if all else fails.  And if we're going to spend more money, put it toward the best SP available. 

I’m sorry but I don’t have an hour to read this. I read the first line and I assure you, Hendriks would be a great get. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic