Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does what matter?  3/$30M and 4/$40M is a 33% difference in potential earnings, so if that’s the gap it’s going to take some time to resolve.

Does it matter what the market is? It makes 0 sense to squabble over signing a RP that isn't asking for the moon if you are looking to contend. We are not close to the threshold of paying luxury tax, you still have flexability, and this team is about to contend for a WS. This is penny wise but a pound foolish.

12 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why wouldn’t they? They had the 5th best record. They’d be in the playoffs. 

Also a young  team so it is very reasonable to think that their core will improve over that record. Especially in a year with added games in the Central Division which should falter some. 

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

TEchnically - I think the Sox view is big FA long term deals don't work well. In general, they aren't wrong. I think instead they prefer to give LT deals to younger in house pitchers where they look to buy out arb years and kind of get locked in cost controll. They prefer the risk that the young player doesn't pan out and/or is less likely to have significant drop off from injuries vs. going 5YR plus in the FA pitching market (at huge bucks).  

If you think about Lynn and buy the reports - there trade may lean that way too...where they kind of think of Lynn making less today enabling them to maybe give him a 2-3 year extension at a good rate (Lynn is happy because it gets him one last big pay day without betting on an injury and I think the Sox are happy cause they probably look at the average AAV over that horizon and feel pretty good about what they did).  

I disagree, in general they are wrong.

1 hour ago, Cashman said:

Does it matter what the market is? It makes 0 sense to squabble over signing a RP that isn't asking for the moon if you are looking to contend. We are not close to the threshold of paying luxury tax, you still have flexability, and this team is about to contend for a WS. This is penny wise but a pound foolish.

If you’re complaining about the size of our payroll budget, there isn’t much for me to defend there.  But if you accept the fact that Hahn has to work within a budget, then $3M is a big enough gap that warrants taking your time because it could mean a lesser starting pitcher you can add.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re complaining about the size of our payroll budget, there isn’t much for me to defend there.  But if you accept the fact that Hahn has to work within a budget, then $3M is a big enough gap that warrants taking your time because it could mean a lesser starting pitcher you can add.

It’s funny because I want Hendriks, I think he specifically is worth it, but the relief market is the one I WOULD feel good bargain hunting. There is a lot of talent, and getting a guy like bradley and letting pen figure it out doesn’t seem so bad.

I don’t know if I prefer Hendriks + Q at say, 24 mill vs Bradley (6.5?) + Paxton (14?) + McGee (4.5) or even an interesting Bradley + McGee + Sugano + la Stella ❤️ at 27 mill

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s funny because I want Hendriks, I think he specifically is worth it, but the relief market is the one I WOULD feel good bargain hunting. There is a lot of talent, and getting a guy like bradley and letting pen figure it out doesn’t seem so bad.

I don’t know if I prefer Hendriks + Q at say, 24 mill vs Bradley (6.5?) + Paxton (14?) + McGee (4.5) or even an interesting Bradley + McGee + Sugano + la Stella ❤️ at 27 mill

Yeah, it’s really tough to be honest.  I do like the idea of Hendriks a ton just because of how big of a weapon he’d be in October, but there will be a ton of interesting arms that will be had much cheaper that allow you to do other things to your point.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

So long as bargain hunting doesn’t consist of bringing Herrera or Cishek back

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Bruce Levine has been saying for months that the Sox had like $30 million to spend. He also said Hendriks is the focus. He’s just real bad at math I think. Hendriks is absolutely their focus. I think another starter is on the radar as well. 

• Thanks 3

I like Hendriks and I know he’s a stud but Idk why they are putting all of their chips in on him. Does Colome have some clubhouse issues or something because he was nails? Or are they really taking this “edge” stuff seriously ? It’s all puzzling to me. This team has holes and I bet Colome will be much cheaper at lease cheap enough to fit a Schwarber in there as well. If Dahl was 3 mil, Schwarber can’t be much more. I’m not a huge Schwarber guy but I’d rather have a Colome + Schwarber than just Liam.

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, turnin' two said:

That's a rough break for Portillos.  If you lose Orlando, you've lost Soxtalk.  

Haha that’s true. He lost me because that Schins guy is so full of it. Even if these food guys have gotten things right lately, they are doing things to hurt their credibility since. Whether they realize it or not.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I like Hendriks and I know he’s a stud but Idk why they are putting all of their chips in on him. Does Colome have some clubhouse issues or something because he was nails? Or are they really taking this “edge” stuff seriously ? It’s all puzzling to me. This team has holes and I bet Colome will be much cheaper at lease cheap enough to fit a Schwarber in there as well. If Dahl was 3 mil, Schwarber can’t be much more. I’m not a huge Schwarber guy but I’d rather have a Colome + Schwarber than just Liam.

Here's my guess:

I have zero clue if this is basic maintenance a lot. But I remember a Fegan article with Colome on all that he has to do to keep his shoulder healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if they think he's on verge.

That said, if they strike out on Hendriks, I'd put money that colome is their plan B.

One thing though looking at hendriks, no matter what way you look at it, he was just so dominant last few years. Velo was fine, whip is low, k rate is insane. If Tony handles him more conservatively in season, we may be able to milk a good 3 years out of this guy and not see that multi-inning fire starter fade out.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Bruce Levine has been saying for months that the Sox had like $30 million to spend. He also said Hendriks is the focus. He’s just real bad at math I think. Hendriks is absolutely their focus. I think another starter is on the radar as well. 

I'm assuming they are already at $17M at $9M for Lynn and $8M with Eaton including the buyout. Perhaps $20M if you include a bump in manager salary for LaRussa, plus Arizona legal costs / bribes.

$30M dropped of the books this year with Parrot, Herrera, Gonzalez and Mazara gone, so treading water vs. last year's $120M level (only $50M actually paid - Jerry still made money last season - open the books you lying POS), or $30M more? I guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

I really don't even see why Colome hinges on whether they get Hendriks or not, even if Colony isn't the closer she absolutely has a place on this team. I wouldn't think he would be too expensive, either. I'd really love to see them not only sign Hendriks but keep Colome on the roster.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm assuming they are already at $17M at $9M for Lynn and $8M with Eaton including the buyout. Perhaps $20M if you include a bump in manager salary for LaRussa, plus Arizona legal costs / bribes.

$30M dropped of the books this year with Parrot, Herrera, Gonzalez and Mazara gone, so treading water vs. last year's $120M level (only $50M actually paid - Jerry still made money last season - open the books you lying POS), or $30M more? I guess time will tell.

You’d get a more accurate reading on payroll if you summed next years commitments rather than subtracting from last years payroll.

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

I really don't even see why Colome hinges on whether they get Hendriks or not, even if Colony isn't the closer she absolutely has a place on this team. I wouldn't think he would be too expensive, either. I'd really love to see them not only sign Hendriks but keep Colome on the roster.

Because other teams want a closer also, and someone like Colome has earned the right to close somewhere.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks for the tip.  I did not know this site existed until I saw this post.  The website is very well done.

2 minutes ago, Pal said:

My opinion, Yates and Garrett Richards (as a starter obviously) are the 2 best "bang for your buck" candidates out there in the free agent market. 

If you’re going that route at closer might as well just resign Colomé and go with the safer bet. Or sign someone like Petit to setup and go with Bummer

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic