Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox aren't even mentioned?  Oh boy.

They are, I read the article. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30514639/what-jeff-passan-hearing-2020-mlb-free-agency-trade-rumors-latest-offseason-buzz

1. As the top of the market takes its sweet time developing, the interest in closer Liam Hendriks, far and away the best reliever available, is leading to an interesting array of teams ready to bid on his services, according to sources. The Chicago White Sox have been linked to Hendriks as his primary suitor, but a number of other teams in search of a closer -- or simply more bullpen help -- are prepared to pounce.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They're listed at the top as the primary suitor. 

Just now, Orlando said:

They are called the “primary suitor”

Just now, bmags said:

yes they are, they are mentioned as the one that's assumed as the favorite but there are a lot of suitors that could jump in.

Got it, they just weren't in the quote listed.  Thanks!

With the bullpen arms they have I don't think they need to throw a shit ton of money at one guy to be the designated closer.  The Rays had 12 different pitchers record a save.  The Sox finally have a manager who knows how to run a bullpen.  Just load up on a bunch of good arms and let your hall of famer baseball person play matchups. 

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

With the bullpen arms they have I don't think they need to throw a shit ton of money at one guy to be the designated closer.  The Rays had 12 different pitchers record a save.  The Sox finally have a manager who knows how to run a bullpen.  Just load up on a bunch of good arms and let your hall of famer baseball person play matchups. 

I kind of agree with this, I wouldn’t be upset with Hendriks, but get a couple lesser guys and spend the money on Ozuna (wishful thinking I know) I just don’t trust that Vaughn is gonna turn into a superstar hitter at DH that most of us are pegging him to be right away. 

flashback 2015:

White sox sign David Robertson to 4 year deal worth $46 million.

It worked out fine!

Liam Hendriks is significantly better than David Robertson was, in a better offensive environment.

But sure, draw a line in the sand.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

flashback 2015:

It worked out fine!

Liam Hendriks is significantly better than David Robertson was, in a better offensive environment.

Robertson was someone they had to trade along with an asset just to clear the salary for a weak return

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Robertson was someone they had to trade along with an asset just to clear the salary for a weak return

B.S. This is revisionist. The sox targeted Rutherford. It's their fault for targeting a player who was already showing he coudln't hit for power. They also didn't have to add frazier salary if it meant anything. 

It was also reported sox had a deal in place to trade him to nats for luzardo and that bad 3rd baseman. 

It's because the sox needed to get good players that it was so hard for them to find suitors. It's not good when your best players are market rate AND your only route to getting good returns (see tigers).

But if you just need to get rid of the salary? It isn't hard. 

• Thanks 1

Giving a closer 4 years is a move a team makes that has come up short in the playoffs a few years in a row.  While I am VERY ready to spend some money recklessly I don't think this would be a wise allocation.  If we are going to burn money on the bullpen lets do it on a 1 or 2 year basis.

Edited by GREEDY

Just now, bmags said:

B.S. This is revisionist. The sox targeted Rutherford. It's their fault for targeting a player who was already showing he coudln't hit for power. They also didn't have to add frazier salary if it meant anything. 

It was also reported sox had a deal in place to trade him to nats for luzardo and that bad 3rd baseman. 

It's because the sox needed to get good players that it was so hard for them to find suitors. It's not good when your best players are market rate AND your only route to getting good returns (see tigers).

But if you just need to get rid of the salary? It isn't hard. 

Many posters have said it was a salary dump.  

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

flashback 2015:

It worked out fine!

I don't understand shying away from commitments like these when all they do is end up wasting $7 million per reclamation project that doesn't work out.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

It ended up being weak, but they 100% wanted Rutherford and he was still a top prospect. If this is the worst outcome for Hendriks in 3 years it's still better than reclamation projects that don't work out.

Just now, GREEDY said:

Giving a closer 4 years is a move a team makes that has come up short in the playoffs a few years in a row.  While I am VERY ready to spend some money recklessly I don't think this  would be wise allocation.  If we are going to burn money on the bullpen lets do it on a 1 or 2 year basis.

Yep and why Yates makes more sense to me than Hendriks. His stats the last few years before the injury were insane. I also like the idea of him facing AL Central hitters who have never seen a splitter like his.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Many posters have said it was a salary dump.  

Of course it was a salary dump, your position states that they couldn't have traded Robertson without including Kahnle. And I call that B.S. This was the best return they could get while also dumping salary.

5 minutes ago, almagest said:

I don't understand shying away from commitments like these when all they do is end up wasting $7 million per reclamation project that doesn't work out.

It ended up being weak, but they 100% wanted Rutherford and he was still a top prospect. If this is the worst outcome for Hendriks in 3 years it's still better than reclamation projects that don't work out.

This is it for me; they're not going to spend the money anywhere else so fuck it; spend it on Hendriks. I wouldn't even want a closer for four years - especially at his age and the brief history of success for most closers - but I know they're not going to reinvest that money anyway so ff it.

The Sox have spent the past few years saying they were ready to play with the big boys but all they've done is continue to refuse to ever overpay anyone which is required to sign bigger FA's. They just have never learned their lesson despite all the milks they've drank at the table.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is it for me; they're not going to spend the money anywhere else so fuck it; spend it on Hendriks. I wouldn't even want a closer for four years - especially at his age and the brief history of success for most closers - but I know they're not going to reinvest that money anyway so ff it.

The Sox have spent the past few years saying they were ready to play with the big boys but all they've done is continue to refuse to ever overpay anyone which is required to sign bigger FA's. They just have never learned their lesson despite all the milks they've drank at the table.

Basically where I'm at. Would rather spend on premiere position players but they don't/won't so spend it somewhere else.

Edited by manbearpuig

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic