Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Sounds like the Beefanator read the Passan blurb and changed the wording a little bit.

Since I parse words for a living -- "aggressive" could mean making the highest monetary offer, it could also mean they keep calling his agent with a ridiculous low ball offer multiple times a day. 

LOL we just paid kelvin herrera 8 million to ride a horse all year and it ...didn't matter at all? But the thought of Liam Hendriks at $10 million for year 3? THE HORROR.

Again, relievers are so expensive in arb. $10 mill is less than we paid Colome last year who was still on his rookie deal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Since I parse words for a living -- "aggressive" could mean making the highest monetary offer, it could also mean they keep calling his agent with a ridiculous low ball offer multiple times a day. 

That would be hilarious if they keep calling his agent with low ball offers multiple times a day. Hey we’ll throw in a few White Sox water bottles as well so he can stay hydrated on the field.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

That would be hilarious if they keep calling his agent with low ball offers. Hey we’ll throw in a few White Sox water bottles as well so he can stay hydrated on the field. 

Plus we have the most comfortable dugout masks in baseball! We'll even fly you and the woman of your choice to Branson for the weekend and throw in a FREE propane grill.  

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

LOL we just paid kelvin herrera 8 million to ride a horse all year and it ...didn't matter at all? But the thought of Liam Hendriks at $10 million for year 3? THE HORROR.

Again, relievers are so expensive in arb. $10 mill is less than we paid Colome last year who was still on his rookie deal.

It's not even just that... he wants to pay the same money, he just wants to get less for it. It One of the more bizarre takes I've ever seen on twitter.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Would still love to know how someone who has White Sox sources knows what other teams are pursuing a player and how hard.  If he knows sources from each team, then kudos to him.

Exactly. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would still love to know how someone who has White Sox sources knows what other teams are pursuing a player and how hard.  If he knows sources from each team, then kudos to him.

Should I tweet this at him and find out? Lol

1 minute ago, fathom said:

That’s always the big giveaway unless the source is somebody in the player’s camp.  The problem is a guy like Al’s Beef has done this with multiple players so it’s very clear he’s at minimum slinging some shit against the wall even if hearing some stuff second hand.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I strait up asked him but probably won’t get a reply.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s always the big giveaway unless the source is somebody in the player’s camp.  The problem is a guy like Al’s Beef has done this with multiple players so it’s very clear he’s at minimum slinging some shit against the wall even if hearing some stuff second hand.

This was always the biggest thing about the Schins guy. If he were to be believed he’s more connected than Rosenthal. I remember when they supposedly signed Ozuna and he tweeted that Ozuna is not a good person but cool to hangout with according to sources haha

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Greg Holland just got a super bad deal in my opinion. Wisler also got a bad deal. These guys are coming off of very strong seasons. I don’t think Hendriks gets 4 years. I know he’s the best in the game but man, BP arms are not getting paid.

Reliever market is deep this offseason. 

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

They'd rather waste money on nothing if it means they're only on the hook for a year or two, I guess. And they do this almost every year. Which is worse than tying up money for one more year than they want. Absolutely baffling.

I sort of get not wanting to bid against themselves in an odd year with severely reduced revenue, but guaranteed someone is gonna step in, beat the Sox offer, and Kenny Williams will be wearing his sunglasses to hide the shock in his eyes again.

12 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Greg Holland just got a super bad deal in my opinion. Wisler also got a bad deal. These guys are coming off of very strong seasons. I don’t think Hendriks gets 4 years. I know he’s the best in the game but man, BP arms are not getting paid.

Holland was pretty bad the previous two years. Wisler was a consistent 5+ ERA pitcher. 20+ innings probably wasn’t enough to reverse the effect of previous performance in both cases. I doubt either has any effect on the upper tier market. I wouldn’t have minded Wisler to help fill out the backend though. He did look pretty nasty

Edited by Vulture

Just a reminder that 75% of Hendriks' career WAR came from ONE of his 10 seasons in the majors, his 2019 season. 

Also playing devil's advocate here, but ... the dude's 31 years old. Do you really want to set the reliever market by signing him to a top of the market deal for what could potentially be his "wrong side of 30" regression? 

Edited by Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm

8 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Just a reminder that 75% of Hendriks' career WAR came from ONE of his 10 seasons in the majors, his 2019 season. 

Also playing devil's advocate here, but ... the dude's 31 years old. Do you really want to set the reliever market by signing him to a top of the market deal for what could potentially be his "wrong side of 30" regression? 

These last two years were his first time in this role as closer. He was a bad starter and didn’t work in a long relief role either. His stuff ticked up in a late inning role. This type of thing is very common. 

• Thanks 1

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic