Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

I am all about Kirby Yates now after doing some research on bone spur recovery. He may not be as dominant this season, but he should be very good...and if everything is clean he could be worth a 2 year deal. Seeing his age (34), he is a great bridge until all the sox young guys figure out the pecking order. If you can snag a better 5th starter - Paxton or Kluber, I would rather pursue Yates than Hendricks if 4 years is required. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

I am all about Kirby Yates now after doing some research on bone spur recovery. He may not be as dominant this season, but he should be very good...and if everything is clean he could be worth a 2 year deal. Seeing his age (34), he is a great bridge until all the sox young guys figure out the pecking order. If you can snag a better 5th starter - Paxton or Kluber, I would rather pursue Yates than Hendricks if 4 years is required. 

I agree. 

Would I rather have Liam Hendriks or Yates/McGee?

It's actually a tough call for me.

This virtually guarantee Yates/Mcgee will struggle to finish the year.

Just now, bmags said:

I agree. 

Would I rather have Liam Hendriks or Yates/McGee?

It's actually a tough call for me.

This virtually guarantee Yates/Mcgee will struggle to finish the year.

If you can get Hendriks for 3 years...you gotta go for that. But some really smart team will prioritize Yates for 2 years and get better value out of the deal, even if Hendriks is better. I really like the idea of a splitter coming up after facing Crochet/Bummer. That would be a devastating switch up. This season will also be much easier to pick up relief options at the deadline if teams are still bleeding from ticket revenue (they will be). 

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I didn't realize that although Yates is soon to be 34, he's only had 282.1 major league innings on his arm. Hendricks in comparison has 516.1 major league innings at soon to be 32.

While this is true; Hendriks did used to be a starter. Additionally, as a professional Hendriks has thrown 1270 innings and Yates 649 innings.

I think I said this elsewhere but I for sure have big concerns about how much Hendriks was used by the A's over the last two years. Over that period, only Jalen Beeks has pitched more innings out of relief than Hendriks (111 v 108) and Beeks is a long reliever so he's actually made less than half the appearances (which is more damaging than the inning count for relievers IMO). Only Craig Stammen, Ty Buttrey and Yusmeiro Petit have made more appearances than Hendriks 97 (of guys who average at least 1 IP per appearance). Lastly, Hendriks ranks 9th amongst all relief pitchers in pitches thrown in the last 2 years; and is the only pitcher in the top 10 who pitched in high leverage situations primarily. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Yup.  There is no chance the Sox give Hendriks 4 years.

5 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

If you can get Hendriks for 3 years...you gotta go for that. But some really smart team will prioritize Yates for 2 years and get better value out of the deal, even if Hendriks is better. I really like the idea of a splitter coming up after facing Crochet/Bummer. That would be a devastating switch up. This season will also be much easier to pick up relief options at the deadline if teams are still bleeding from ticket revenue (they will be). 

At this point the value of the deal is irrelevant. They need to use whatever budget they have to maximize winning.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I'd rather see Colome resigned and use the $7-8m savings for other needs.  Spending big bucks on a closer is so risky especially when other holes need to be filled. 

I don't think Colome would be $7-8m in savings.

I realize the logic and intelligence behind the argument of NOT signing a closer like Hendriks for $$$ because RP is so volatile...

.. I still want Liam Hendriks because he's been so damn nasty and the thought of that being added to our bullpen is such a dream. 

Also, because I don't trust this organization to sign any real stars, at least they can get this. 

There seems to be this notion our moves are being made because of TLR. I'm sure we checked in on Lynn last trade deadline. I'm also sure that our FO wanted Eaton as well. One of the reasons given for Eaton was to add some toughness to the team. This was probably one of the reasons Renteria was fired. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I realize the logic and intelligence behind the argument of NOT signing a closer like Hendriks for $$$ because RP is so volatile...

.. I still want Liam Hendriks because he's been so damn nasty and the thought of that being added to our bullpen is such a dream. 

Also, because I don't trust this organization to sign any real stars, at least they can get this. 

Exactly. If we aren't gonna sign star hitters and SP's, we might as well get the star catcher in Grandal and a star relief pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

So you think the Sox still have a chance at Hendriks then?

Why wouldn’t they have a chance at Hendriks? Honestly? What has been said or presented otherwise from credible people that has given an indication that the Sox aren’t in on Hendriks? I feel like the entire fan base is freaking out and the Sox are the only division contender to improve so far this offseason. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic