Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

14 minutes ago, almagest said:

I wouldn't add Cease. He's part of the extended window to me, hopefully. Let's see what Katz can do with him.

I would do that if the Cubs are throwing in a ton of cash. He's got 3 yrs/$59M left over. That completely reasonable except for the fact that he's 34 already. I don't know if many people realize Darvish is older than Lance Lynn. 

Lynn has thrown 1847 innings as a professional. Darvish has thrown 1127 in the MLB and another 1268 in Japan. That's a total of 2400 innings. 

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Cease + Stiever for Darvish.  Push the chippies in. LOL

I am fine with Darvish but we should only push a token player into the pot.  We would be taking on a really big salary giving the Cubs salary relief.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rogers said they’d be asking for 2-3 top ten prospects from a team

That was the payoff for Sale on a very affordable contract. Darvish is not going to get a Sale like return IMO.   I guess how someone interprets who is a top prospect is subjective.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That was the payoff for Sale on a very affordable contract. Darvish is not going to get a Sale like return IMO.   I guess how someone interprets who is a top prospect is subjective.

A teams top ten prospects don’t equal a #1 mlb prospect, Kopech plus another team top ten prospect. Two top ten prospects from the Sox could mean Adolfo and Sheets depending on who is making the list.

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

A teams top ten prospects don’t equal a #1 mlb prospect, Kopech plus another team top ten prospect. Two top ten prospects from the Sox could mean Adolfo and Sheets depending on who is making the list.

It was suggested that Cease and Stiever would make a fair deal for Darvish...I disagreed.  I believe it is an overpay considering the Darvish salary.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I would do that if the Cubs are throwing in a ton of cash. He's got 3 yrs/$59M left over. That completely reasonable except for the fact that he's 34 already. I don't know if many people realize Darvish is older than Lance Lynn. 

Lynn has thrown 1847 innings as a professional. Darvish has thrown 1127 in the MLB and another 1268 in Japan. That's a total of 2400 innings. 

Yeah, and his age is part of why I wouldn't do both of them. I also think it shortens the window as I think Cease still has a chance to be a solid starter.

3 hours ago, Briro2021 said:

I am not excusing anyone.  I just know how they operate.  No 4th year to a 35 year old RP.

I think you have to look at the total contract. Just using some numbers to make the point not suggesting any contracts for a specific player. 3/36 or 4/42 are interesting choices for both a team and a player, especially older players looking at perhaps their last contract. Or to use an absurd example would you rather have a guy for 3/30 or 4/30?  

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It was suggested that Cease and Stiever would make a fair deal for Darvish...I disagreed.  I believe it is an overpay considering the Darvish salary.

I don’t think Stiever has that much value.  I would guess the Cubs turn down that offer.

Like it or not, Darvish is one of the best pitchers in baseball right now and despite his age, he seems to be getting better.  His salary shouldn’t diminish his value.  I think his contract might make him more valuable.  

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think you have to look at the total contract. Just using some numbers to make the point not suggesting any contracts for a specific player. 3/36 or 4/42 are interesting choices for both a team and a player, especially older players looking at perhaps their last contract. Or to use an absurd example would you rather have a guy for 3/30 or 4/30?  

True lol but he is not an idiot.  The 4th year is going to be too high for the sox on AVERAGE.  Have to assume he wants AT LEAST 4/44.  Probably more like 4/50.

3 minutes ago, Briro2021 said:

True lol but he is not an idiot.  The 4th year is going to be too high for the sox on AVERAGE.  Have to assume he wants AT LEAST 4/44.  Probably more like 4/50.

I was specifically pointing out that a blanket no fourth year shouldn't be an automatic. 

10 minutes ago, Briro2021 said:

And i was simply pointing out that should be obvious.  Nobody here is talking about 3/36 vs 4/36

I wasn't even talking about any specific player. (Which I put in italics.) 

Often times it isn't obvious to everyone. Some people skim posts or just repeat things they have heard without really thinking about it. 

Maybe not the thread for this, but looking at future payroll commitments I can see why the Sox went cheap in RF and would be reluctant to trade any of their blue chip prospects in more “win now” moves.  We’re going to need guys on pre-arb deals to offset the rising costs of our locked up core and my guess is they’re targeting RF to be one of those spots.

Based on what we’ve heard / know, I think they will prioritize the following moves over the remainder of the offseason:

• Hendriks - 3/$39M
  • Giolito extension - 5/$75M (if 5th year team option is exercised)
  • Lynn extension - 2/$40M (covering the 2022 & 2023 seasons)
  • Best available starter at $10M or less willing to take a one year deal (Quintana, Richards, Archer, etc)
  • Left-handed bat on the cheap later the off-season (LaStella, Gonzalez, Miller, etc.)
  • Oscar Colas - remaining international bonus pool 

With these moves, you’re looking at ~$150M in payroll commitments in 2022 and that’s assuming pre-arb guys in RF, the #5 spot in the rotation, and in the UT role.  I think it’s likely they can go higher than that figure in 2022, but it will be hard to add a ton of long-term deals if you want to build in breathing room for escalating salaries.  You’re likely looking at another stop-gap in RF if none of Adolfo, Rutherford, or Gonzalez don’t step up or if Colas doesn’t move faster than expected.  Any remaining funds would go towards strengthening the bench and bullpen on short-term deals as needed.

Circling back to Hendriks, I think adding him on a three year contract makes all the sense in the world if we’re unwilling to commit big dollars to a RF upgrade.  Realistically, if you can extend Lynn and believe in Kopech, Cease, & Crochet, there simply won’t be that many holes that would require a sizable investment.  Sign Hendriks, move every other guy down a spot, and create a bullpen that can be weapon come October.  That’s where I think the front office is heading and I’m fully aligned with that strategy if Jerry won’t pony up for any A tier free agents that will require a ten figure commitment.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe not the thread for this, but looking at future payroll commitments I can see why the Sox went cheap in RF and would be reluctant to trade any of their blue chip prospects in more “win now” moves.  We’re going to need guys on pre-arb deals to offset the rising costs of our locked up core and my guess is they’re targeting RF to be one of those spots.

Based on what we’ve heard / know, I think they will prioritize the following moves over the remainder of the offseason:

• Hendriks - 3/$39M
  • Giolito extension - 5/$75M (if 5th year team option is exercised)
  • Lynn extension - 2/$40M (covering the 2022 & 2023 seasons)
  • Best available starter at $10M or less willing to take a one year deal (Quintana, Richards, Archer, etc)
  • Left-handed bat on the cheap later the off-season (LaStella, Gonzalez, Marwin, etc.)
  • Oscar Colas - remaining international bonus pool 

With these moves, you’re looking at ~$150M in payroll commitments in 2022 and that’s assuming pre-arb guys in RF, the #5 spot in the rotation, and in the UT role.  I think it’s likely they can go higher than that figure in 2022, but it will be hard to add a ton of long-term deals if you want to build in breathing room for escalating salaries.  You’re likely looking at another stop-gap in RF if none of Adolfo, Rutherford, or Gonzalez don’t step up or if Colas doesn’t move faster than expected.  Any remaining funds would go towards strengthening the bench and bullpen on short-term deals as needed.

Circling back to Hendriks, I think adding him on a three year contract makes all the sense in the world if we’re unwilling to commit big dollars to a RF upgrade.  Realistically, if you can extend Lynn and believe in Kopech, Cease, & Crochet, there simply won’t be that many holes that would require a sizable investment.  Sign Hendriks, move every other guy down a spot, and create a bullpen that can be weapon come October.  That’s where I think the front office is heading and I’m fully aligned with that strategy if Jerry won’t pony up for any A tier free agents that will require a ten figure commitment.

Not even Patrick Mahomes required a ten figure commitment. Granted, it was half of that, but not all the way to ten figures.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic