Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't think the first part is true.  If multiple teams are offering 4 years why not wait it out for a higher AAV?  If you're the guy at the top of the market there's no reason to rush it. 

The second part is nauseating.  

He hasn't been offered 4 years yet to my knowledge 

Back to Hendricks and the pen...

Upon first hearing this possibility I considered that with Hendricks fillling a power late inning reliever role, that maybe it gives the Sox the option to make Crochet available for the rotation if he proves able. I'm making premature assumptions on that through. So...is Crochet a bullpen piece right now because that is how they are seasoning him on the way to eventually working his way into a starter role? Or, is he considered a permanent bullpen piece and potential closer? If he is a bullpen arm that is going to be one scary bullpen.

Edited by SpringfieldFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would think our results with the types of pitchers who take one years deals would speak for themselves, but to each their own.

Wait what?  In this market?  Plenty of dudes will be taking one year deals.  Weren’t you just clamoring for Kluber?  Paxton will be taking a one year deal.  Richards could be an option.

1 minute ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Back to Hendricks and the pen...

Upon first hearing this possibility I considered that with Hendricks fillling a power late inning reliever role, that maybe it gives the Sox the option to make Crochet available for the rotation if he proves able. I'm making premature assumptions on that through. So...is Crochet a bullpen piece right now because that is how they are seasoning him on the way to eventually working his way into a starter role. Or, is he considered a permanent bullpen piece and potential closer? If he is a bullpen arm that is going to be one scary bullpen.

Seems to me they’re replicating the Sale plan with him. With that said, him having health issues after a few weeks didn’t exactly make them feel comfortable with him being a starter.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Wait what?  In this market?  Plenty of dudes will be taking one year deals.  Weren’t you just clamoring for Kluber?  Paxton will be taking a one year deal.  Richards could be an option.

You have way more faith than I do.  This franchise seems to be going out of their way to screw this up.  Honestly I am waiting for Wainwright and Yadi and then calling it an offseason.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

You have way more faith than I do.  This franchise seems to be going out of their way to screw this up.  Honestly I am waiting for Wainwright and Yadi and then calling it an offseason.

And both of those would be good additions in all honesty.

Just now, Rowand44 said:

I want nothing to do with Yadi.  Waino as I've said before does seem to make a lot of sense, especially with the way the Sox are doing business right now.

I get the Yadi hate, trust me. I can see how they would talk themselves into using him more as catcher and Grandal at DH until Vaughn is ready.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seems to me they’re replicating the Sale plan with him. With that said, him having health issues after a few weeks didn’t exactly make them feel comfortable with him being a starter.

Sale plan doesn't make sense for him. He doesn't have enough innings. Sale had full college seasons worth of innings. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sale plan doesn't make sense for him. He doesn't have enough innings. Sale had full college seasons worth of innings. 

I agree but it seems the Sox brass doesn’t. Between what Katz said yesterday and Eric today, I think he’s in the bullpen to start the year.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I agree with you but it could go sideways for him. Let's say his hypothetical market is the Mets, Sox, Angels, and Nationals. If the Mets and Nationals sign Colome and Yates tomorrow, he has no time to re-evaluate. If it is down to the Sox and Angels, they may even reduce their offers to 2 or 3 years. 

I think you're a little light on his market.  You can add the Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, Blue Jays and Astros. I get what you're saying but I don't think he has to worry about being the reliever left standing without a chair. 

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think you're a little light on his market.  You can add the Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, Blue Jays and Astros. I get what you're saying but I don't think he has to worry about being the reliever left standing without a chair. 

I’ve seen a few places state that none of the closers will sign until Hendriks does.

Edited by fathom

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic