Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

15 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

If you want the Sox to win the World Series this year I just don't see how you can have an issue with Crochet being in the bullpen.

If you want the Sox to be competitive for years, I just don't see how you can have Crochet spend the whole year in the bullpen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

Welcome to “all in”

Sox Ownership: We are all in!  World Series or BUST!

Sox fans:  Great I can't wait to get Trevor Bauer for the top of the rotation

Ownership: Whoa, that seems a bit expensive

Fans: Ok, well how about George Springer, you saw how bad we were in RF last year?

Own:  Well, you remember Adam Eaton, right?

Fans, Yeah, why?

Own: No reason, how about Lance Lynn

Fans:  Well at least he is good, but what about the other holes?  We definitely need a closer after Colome became a free agent

Own:  Hey Tony, can we add another reliever?

[Incoherent mubbling in the background]

Own: Eckersley?  He is like 70 years old now, right?  Uhhh, let me get back to you guys on that one.

Fans: With McCann gone, we need at least one more catcher on the roster, right?

Own: Yeah, guys who can hit in key situations, play good defense, call good games and frame are great.  Well, how about a guy who might eventually do one of those things?

Fans:  What?  Really, did you guys just say you were all in?

Own:  What's that?  You are breaking up, and we are having problems hearing you...

[CLICK}

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

Guys, please don't get me wrong, I think Vaughn will be great in a year or two, just not getting too high yet.  Not grading him an A or F, just an I.  Hopefully, a year from now, he's ready for the show. Ofc he's going to get a chance to succeed, he just hasn't got much of a minor league resume YET.  His college stats are great , for sure, but he still needs to prove they convert to MLB org baseball.  For anyone hoping for him on the 2021 Sox roster, I don't think that's going to happen.

We get your point and it is valid. The issue is that free agent LH DH's of quality aren't going to want to play for us knowing Vaughn will need at bats to prove himself for two years. Then you throw in MVP and possibly Eloy getting DH at bats from time to time. We have to look at it from the perspective of the player coming here. We'd love to sign a guy for 1 or 2 years and cheap to be a lefty DH, but would he want to risk not playing much and a chance at a bigger payday?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sox Ownership: We are all in!  World Series or BUST!

Sox fans:  Great I can't wait to get Trevor Bauer for the top of the rotation

Ownership: Whoa, that seems a bit expensive

Fans: Ok, well how about George Springer, you saw how bad we were in RF last year?

Own:  Well, you remember Adam Eaton, right?

Fans, Yeah, why?

Own: No reason, how about Lance Lynn

Fans:  Well at least he is good, but what about the other holes?  We definitely need a closer after Colome became a free agent

Own:  Hey Tony, can we add another reliever?

[Incoherent mubbling in the background]

Own: Eckersley?  He is like 70 years old now, right?  Uhhh, let me get back to you guys on that one.

Fans: With McCann gone, we need at least one more catcher on the roster, right?

Own: Yeah, guys who can hit in key situations, play good defense, call good games and frame are great.  Well, how about a guy who might eventually do one of those things?

Fans:  What?  Really, did you guys just say you were all in?

Own:  What's that?  You are breaking up, and we are having problems hearing you...

[CLICK}

while this is funny...sad and troubling all at the same time...They are a better team right now than they were last year. And they will still make more moves. We won't agree with most of them, but 2021 should be a good year to be a White Sox fan. 

2 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

If you want the Sox to win the World Series this year I just don't see how you can have an issue with Crochet being in the bullpen.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind him being a three inning opener guy every now and then, just to give the staff some extra rest. I’m a little concerned about guys going from 2020 to a full 30+ starts + hopefully postseason. Ideally it’ll give him some feel for starting a game at the big league level, too. When not doing that use him in a hader/miller role. 

20 hours ago, fathom said:

And then what happens next year with Eloy, Brantley and Vaughn?

What conditions exist for the big boys, i.e. the Yanks and the Dodgers, that elude the Chisox, that allow for as many as 5 bonafide major leaguers patrolling the outfield.  Bellinger, Betts, Pollack, Taylor and Pederson.  Does the likelihood of success counterbalance the desire to maximize the number of at bats for some?  

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, ottawa_sox said:

What conditions exist for the big boys, i.e. the Yanks and the Dodgers, that elude the Chisox, that allow for as many as 5 bonafide major leaguers patrolling the outfield.  Bellinger, Betts, Pollack, Taylor and Pederson.  Does the likelihood of success counterbalance the desire to maximize the number of at bats for some?  

If you’re argument is “let’s pretend budgets don’t exist” then why not add Springer instead?

22 minutes ago, ottawa_sox said:

I don’t think anyone wants less good players, it’s just a matter of accepting reality and adjusting expectations and desires accordingly. 

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you want the Sox to be competitive for years, I just don't see how you can have Crochet spend the whole year in the bullpen.

The goal is to win a WS. After that, you can talk about multiple ones. The numbers don't show that repeating or a dynasty is going to happen.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cashman said:

The goal is to win a WS. After that, you can talk about multiple ones. The numbers don't show that repeating or a dynasty is going to happen.

The question is...are the teams chances better if Crochet is a permanent closer or if he is a part time starter this year (with some bullpen time) and is available as a full time starter the next few years?

With their payroll commits in 2022 already, I want a starter if at all possible.  Unless the team is already planning to sell players next offseason.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The question is...are the teams chances better if Crochet is a permanent closer or if he is a part time starter this year (with some bullpen time) and is available as a full time starter the next few years?

With their payroll commits in 2022 already, I want a starter if at all possible.  Unless the team is already planning to sell players next offseason.

If he goes the starter route, I don't see him pitching up here until the very end of the season. He would better serve the Sox in the bullpen this year.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cashman said:

If he goes the starter route, I don't see him pitching up here until the very end of the season. He would better serve the Sox in the bullpen this year.

after missing nearly all this year, if he doesn’t start building innings he never will. So as long as you’re ok with having drafted a permanent closer in the top 15 picks.

48 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you’re in for full time starter this year to maximize innings?

I dont think he will last too long after that forearm strain, regardless of the spin they were pushing about it after the fact, so I'll take whatever role they want to use him in. If he can hack the starter role this quick, more power to him, but does he have a third quality pitch? 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic