Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

If they do decide to begin the year with Crochet starting in the minors, how many innings is even safe for him to throw for the year?

65 inning is the most he’s ever thrown (only 6 starts) and that was 2 years ago. 

If the ideal plan is to have him build up arm strength and endurance starting in AA/AAA, then bring him up to pitch out of the bullpen mid-year, how many innings does that look like? 

Is it feasible to do both of these things or does it have to be one or the other?

2 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

If they do decide to begin the year with Crochet starting in the minors, how many innings is even safe for him to throw for the year?

65 inning is the most he’s ever thrown (only 6 starts) and that was 2 years ago. 

If the ideal plan is to have him build up arm strength and endurance starting in AA/AAA, then bring him up to pitch out of the bullpen mid-year, how many innings does that look like? 

Is it feasible to do both of these things or does it have to be one or the other?

He was probably throwing more than 65 innings a year in little league

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you want the Sox to be competitive for years, I just don't see how you can have Crochet spend the whole year in the bullpen.

I don't know if he will spend the whole year in the bullpen but I wouldn't expect more than a handful of starts. In 2019 how many innings did he pitch for the Vols ?  65 ?

Then in 2020 he had 1 start for the Vols then the Sox drafted him. Don't conveniently forget his background. After that 1 start he had shoulder/back issues. He had 36 appearances and 13 starts in 3 years with Tenn.

The major concern about him was lack of sustained high level performance. He's a bit away from being someone who can start even 20 games per year. I'd be happy with 65 uninjured innings from him and that's a reliever load. Then you can look into him extending beyond  that in 2022, spot starts ,etc. Maybe get him up to over 100 innings but he just seems like the kind of guy who's going to have rotator cuff problems or Tommy John surgery . The Sox are going to handle him accordingly, but if they need him he's going to be in the pen in 2021.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:11 AM, Dam8610 said:

If they have $50 million left to spend on 2021 payroll there's no excuse to not go get Bauer. They could sign Bauer and Hendriks and extend Giolito with that amount left to spend on annual payroll.

Rumor has it  that the Angels and Yankees are offering 4 or 5 year deals at around 180 to 200 million. He is not signing for 1 year anymore, especiaaly in this enviroment, and don't forget the Mets or Dodgers. JR won't spend 200 million on a pitcher. 30 to 40 for 1 year to go for it, YES.

I'd love to have a combo of Bauer and Hendricks, I'd run down and get season tickets immediately. I'm showing my age by this next statement but thats what i did when we signed Fisk, the next day i was a season ticket holder until the last year of old Comiskey Park. 

Hell, they've made a bunch of great trades and moves to get to this point and have a shot at winning it in the next couple of years with or without Bauer or Hendricks. 

Crochet, Steiver, Huer, Gio, Kuechel, Lynne, Foster, Fry , Marshall, Cease , Kopech and Bummer is not a bad start and what if a miracle happens and Lopez developes (LOL)  Need to extend Gio and Lynne for a foundation. if you have a BIG 3 you're competitive every year. Kopech may or may not be the key. Then you'd have 4 and the 5th could be anyone. Big Dreams but fun to dream. Either way they will be must see TV for sure this year. 

Collins will probably at this time be the backup catcher and Vaughan may be the DH with no major league experience.  

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Rumor has it  that the Angels and Yankees are offering 4 or 5 year deals at around 180 to 200 million. He is not signing for 1 year anymore, especiaaly in this enviroment, and don't forget the Mets or Dodgers. JR won't spend 200 million on a pitcher. 30 to 40 for 1 year to go for it, YES.

I'd love to have a combo of Bauer and Hendricks, I'd run down and get season tickets immediately. I'm showing my age by this next statement but thats what i did when we signed Fisk, the next day i was a season ticket holder until the last year of old Comiskey Park. 

Hell, they've made a bunch of great trades and moves to get to this point and have a shot at winning it in the next couple of years with or without Bauer or Hendricks. 

Crochet, Steiver, Huer, Gio, Kuechel, Lynne, Foster, Fry , Marshall, Cease , Kopech and Bummer is not a bad start and what if a miracle happens and Lopez developes (LOL)  Need to extend Gio and Lynne for a foundation. if you have a BIG 3 you're competitive every year. Kopech may or may not be the key. Then you'd have 4 and the 5th could be anyone. Big Dreams but fun to dream. Either way they will be must see TV for sure this year. 

Collins will probably at this time be the backup catcher and Vaughan may be the DH with no major league experience.  

Welcome to Soxtalk!

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

If you're not going to push him into the range of 125 innings next year, then you may as well just make him a permanent reliever. By the time he got up to an innings total you were happy with penciling him into the rotation,  he'd be arb eligible and approaching free agency. And, if he's in the bullpen the whole year, the team isn't going to want to let him leave - he won't ever have pitched more than 70 innings, how are you going to push him higher than that? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

For the love of god the name is Vaughn

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you're not going to push him into the range of 125 innings next year, then you may as well just make him a permanent reliever. By the time he got up to an innings total you were happy with penciling him into the rotation,  he'd be arb eligible and approaching free agency. And, if he's in the bullpen the whole year, the team isn't going to want to let him leave - he won't ever have pitched more than 70 innings, how are you going to push him higher than that? 

I was just kind of thinking out loud about it.  

You seem to back up that it’s not feasible to have him do both.  If we get him up to say 100 innings starting in the minors, do we really want him throwing high leverage situations out of the pen in a division race and playoffs?  

I’d love to keep him as a starter as long as possible, but if that’s the case, he shouldn’t really be helping the ML team in 2021 and possibly not even 2022.  

8 hours ago, Sambuca said:

I was just kind of thinking out loud about it.  

You seem to back up that it’s not feasible to have him do both.  If we get him up to say 100 innings starting in the minors, do we really want him throwing high leverage situations out of the pen in a division race and playoffs?  

I’d love to keep him as a starter as long as possible, but if that’s the case, he shouldn’t really be helping the ML team in 2021 and possibly not even 2022.  

Having him throw starters innings in the minors and briefly in the majors followed by a playoff bullpen stint is the David Price plan.

I submitted a question for Merkin’s mailbox and he answered it.

Are the White Sox still targeting Liam Hendriks?
-- @LandoJQuintana

The White Sox are interested in one of the game’s top closers, and it’s more than just passing interest. But they aren’t the only Major League team looking at Hendriks. It’s also not an all-or-nothing pursuit of Hendriks in terms of the White Sox adding another late-inning, high-leverage reliever.

• All the latest Hendriks rumors

There seems to be interest on Hendriks’ part as well, even looking back at his postgame comments concerning the White Sox after the then-Oakland right-hander finished them off in Game 3 of the Wild Card Series. Adding another quality reliever is an important move for the White Sox.

One of the worst things for a team trying to go beyond contention and win it all is to suffer those momentum-changing late-inning setbacks. While the White Sox have very good bullpen arms already in place, there’s never enough.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

-- @LandoJQuintana

The White Sox are interested in one of the game’s top closers, and it’s more than just passing interest. But they aren’t the only Major League team looking at Hendriks. It’s also not an all-or-nothing pursuit of Hendriks in terms of the White Sox adding another late-inning, high-leverage reliever.

There seems to be interest on Hendriks’ part as well, even looking back at his postgame comments concerning the White Sox after the then-Oakland right-hander finished them off in Game 3 of the Wild Card Series. Adding another quality reliever is an important move for the White Sox.

One of the worst things for a team trying to go beyond contention and win it all is to suffer those momentum-changing late-inning setbacks. While the White Sox have very good bullpen arms already in place, there’s never enough.

That last paragraph makes it sound somewhat promising.

37 minutes ago, Orlando said:

-- @LandoJQuintana

What did Hendriks say about the Sox after game 3?

On 12/18/2020 at 11:08 PM, MiddleCoastBias said:

It's like bizarro Caulfield - he named 18 players and managed to misspell 6 of them.

I assume your talking about me. Does spelling really matter that much?? The thought and conversation and having fun until the season starts and having these discussions among fans that love the team and are excited about the upcoming 2021 season, isn't that what counts???  Hopefully we can attend games and watch the ball fly out of the park!!!

On 12/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, hi8is said:

Welcome to Soxtalk!

Thank you but i've been here for a whille and even started 3 discussion. Been around and replied many times. Looking forward to an exciting season and a couple of more big signings hopefully or even trades. Take care and GO SOX and hopefully we'll get a DH and a closer. I'd hate to have to use Bummer in the 9th instead of the 8th. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, Balta1701 said:

I am guessing 100-120 this year.  160 as a starter next year.  No limitations post 2021

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic