Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don't buy the wife is from Canada and he's leaning toward the Blue Jays crap. If he's dead set on playing in his wife's home country, he wouldn't have met with other teams to begin and have them on a list of finalists. Just another ploy by the agent to get Sox (or other bidders) to up their offer or give a 4th year (if they are not giving it already).

Its almost certainly just a ploy.

Isn't TOR undesirable for FA due to tax issues?

The agent just needs to create leverage in order to squeeze a little more money. 

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lynn wanted to play for Tony and not Ricky. Rumor is Hendriks has a good relationship with Tony. People really need to stop acting like every player thinks he’s the boogeyman.

100%. Tony has been active, vocal and recruiting like crazy. He’s a big reason why coaching staff is so solid, Lynn is here and he’ll be a big reason why Hendriks is here if they sign him too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don't buy the wife is from Canada and he's leaning toward the Blue Jays crap. If he's dead set on playing in his wife's home country, he wouldn't have met with other teams to begin and have them on a list of finalists. Just another ploy by the agent to get Sox (or other bidders) to up their offer or give a 4th year (if they are not giving it already).

It certainly can be a ploy but I think it has a lot to do with where he sees himself most comfortable at. 

Edited by maloney.adam

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, if winning is at all a factor to Hendriks, the White Sox are a no-brainer assuming the money is close.  The Blue Jays have a ton of talent, but will have to battle the Yankees for the foreseeable future plus perpetual threats in Boston & Tampa.  The Twins are obviously really good, but they aren’t the juggernaut New York and Cleveland is at least taking some step backward with Clevinger and eventually Lindor dealt.  Outside of possibly the NL Central, there isn’t another division I’d rather be in right now.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hendrli01.shtml

Look at this guy's numbers.  It's about the money and that's it.  He had 1 and 3/8th career year seasons back-to-back and now he wants big money before he goes back to either sucking or pitching like an average setup guy again.  

Take the Blue Jays money, Liam!  Stay away from this team!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I hope that I’m wrong but I think he’s going to sign with Toronto because of the comfortability thing; he’s played with Toronto before, his wife is from Canada and the Blue Jay’s spring training facility is close to their home in Florida. All that alone is enough. The money thing will not be a factor but the Blue Jays may have even offered a little bit more or will do so and at that point it’s a no brainer for him.  

How do you know what the Blue Jays offered him and whether it’s more than us?

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

It certainly can be a ploy but I think it also has a lot to do with where he sees himself most comfortable at. Where he’s the best fit. 

Where does it say he’s more comfortable with Toronto? (I haven’t read all the tweets today)

And he will go to whoever will give him the most money and the 4th year.

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hendrli01.shtml

Look at this guy's numbers.  It's about the money and that's it.  He had 1 and 3/8th career year seasons back-to-back and now he wants big money before he goes back to either sucking or pitching like an average setup guy again.  

Take the Blue Jays money, Liam!  Stay away from this team!

Why is he going to go back to sucking?  What it is about his results in 2019 & 2020 that’s flukey or a red flag?

Paying a maximum on the open market for a closer is always a shitty idea.  It's even worse when you're thinking about pulling yourself out of the bidding for upper echelon SPs and starting position players to gather up the funds to do it.  I have no idea where the rationale is on this site.  This is usually seen as a terrible idea.

This team isn't a closer away from being a title contender.  They are like several SPs developing properly away from being a title contender at minimum, and they also need some more growth in the pen.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Paying a maximum on the open market for a closer is always a shitty idea.  It's even worse when you're thinking about pulling yourself out of the bidding for upper echelon SPs and starting position players to gather up the funds to do it.  I have no idea where the rationale is on this site.  This is usually seen as a terrible idea.

This team isn't a closer away from being a title contender.  They are like several SPs developing properly away from being a title contender at minimum, and they also need some more growth in the pen.  

If closer isn’t important, why did you suggest Grandal for Hader?

• Love 1
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

100%. Tony has been active, vocal and recruiting like crazy. He’s a big reason why coaching staff is so solid, Lynn is here and he’ll be a big reason why Hendriks is here if they sign him too. 

PREACH! 

Most posters won't like this post. Will take away from the La Russa narrative. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is he going to go back to sucking?  What it is about his results in 2019 & 2020 that’s flukey or a red flag?

Click on the link and look at the stats.  His career suggests the performance he will be paid to replicate is the outlier.  He's also a RP we'd be paying for his age 32, 33, 34 & 35 seasons.  This should be pretty obvious.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If closer isn’t important, why did you suggest Grandal for Hader?

Because I want to clear out Grandal's contract to make room for REALMUTO.  And the Brewers supposedly wanted to keep him, and also appear to want something significant for Hader.  But I admit I don't think the Brewers would take on his contract ATM.

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

We are a title contender right now and only have a couple of holes left to fill.  If Jerry is unwilling to spend big on a Bauer or Springer, the next best move is building the strongest bullpen possible.  I get the risk that comes with reliever contracts, but Hendriks is a potential game-changer come October and is worth rolling the dice on IMO.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s not like Hendriks just realized his wife is from Canada. I thought it was common knowledge on here that she is from Montreal, and they would be a contender.  Jays are desperate to spend money. Also I think they get him because he lives in Florida and their spring training is 3 hours away.

I definitely have memorized the wife origins of all primary free agents yes

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We are a title contender right now and only have a couple of holes left to fill.  If Jerry is unwilling to spend big on a Bauer or Springer, the next best move is building the strongest bullpen possible.  I get the risk that comes with reliever contracts, but Hendriks is a potential game-changer come October and is worth rolling the dice on IMO.

I strongly disagree.  Giolito has coughed up chunks in several "big game" opportunities thus far (against the Cubs a couple times specifically) and even though he's also had some success against the Yankees I believe, he is not proven.  And Giolito is the best we have.  I still will not believe Lance Lynn is more than a currently-overachieving #3, and I think Keuchel is a #3, and our best guys still have yet to develop.  I think we are a team that lacks those big stoppers.  I don't think we have enough.  I also think Eloy and especially Robert make too many mistakes at the plate and (Eloy) in the field to anchor our team on the positional side.  I think we will be more of a force in 2022-25, **if** our players continue to develop.

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I strongly disagree.  Giolito has coughed up chunks in several "big game" opportunities thus far (against the Cubs a couple times specifically) and even though he's also had some success against the Yankees I believe, he is not proven.  And Giolito is the best we have.  I still will not believe Lance Lynn is more than a currently-overachieving #3, and I think Keuchel is a #3, and our best guys still have yet to develop.  I think we are a team that lacks those big stoppers.  I don't think we have enough.  I also think Eloy and especially Robert make too many mistakes at the plate and (Eloy) in the field to anchor our team on the positional side.  I think we will be more of a force in 2022-25, **if** our players continue to develop.

Ask the Oakland hitters if Gio was "coughing up chunks" during that playoff start, arguably the biggest game of his career, outside of those other no-hitters he threw. God forbid young players needing experience to learn and improve their skills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Click on the link and look at the stats.  His career suggests the performance he will be paid to replicate is the outlier.  He's also a RP we'd be paying for his age 32, 33, 34 & 35 seasons.  This should be pretty obvious.

No offense, but evaluating pitchers in this day & age by their career numbers is stupid.  Hendriks was bad as a starter, but was somewhat useful as a reliever all the way back since his Toronto days in 2015.  Since then, he’s refined his arsenal by dropping his sinker & change-up and ramping up his 4 seamer usage.  That 4-seamer has become one of the best in baseball due to an increase in velocity, spin rate, & carry.  He’s a completely different pitcher now than he was just three years and what he did beforehand really doesn’t matter, especially his early starter days.

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I know people think the Sox are the better bet for Hendriks talent wise but are they really that much better than Toronto? Especially if Toronto gets a few big fish?

Well depending on if the team can even play in Canada this year and taxes are crazy high so blue Jay's would kinda have to go higher in money unless he doesn't car about it. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you really want to go up against the Yankees, Rays, & eventually Red Sox?

That’s true. I guess there is more competition in the East. I just don’t buy that the Sox as currently constructed are that much better than some of the other teams involved.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic