Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I get what you’re saying, but I think the challenge is the Sox want to use Madrigal as their big trade chip and he’s going to have a very limited market in terms of teams that are willing to both value him as a top 40 prospect and have an opening right now for him.  If you find a buyer now, it may be hard to pass up.

They could speed things up if they were willing to use Crochet as a big trade chip in any deal. I know I am not very popular to keep suggesting this but he is going to take a lot of time to get ready to be a SP if he can ever even get there.

I know you have commented in the past that you think I am over reacting to his injury in the playoff game. But it is not just that. He did miss all but 3 innings in his final year of college because of shoulder issues too. It just seems like he can't sustain throwing that hard for very long. There is no doubt he should be viewed as a high risk project not some potentially elite starting pitcher but if other teams view him that way he becomes more valuable than his likely outcome as a reliever or a major injury waiting to happen.

If some rebuild team wants to view him as a starting pitcher and has the time to give him to try to accomplish that, then the Sox have a pretty good trade chip that is going to be almost useless to them except as a reliever this year. If he gets a major arm injury this year then it could be years before he can try to be a SP again. If you add Hendriks he becomes even more expendable. Then you can keep your starting 2nd baseman, maybe keep Heuer, not spend  more money replacing Madrigal.  I'm just not very keen on deleting good pieces from the 25 and spending more money to get incrementally better now.

40 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sheets and Mercedes do not have the trade value you think they do. You would need to trade top assists for a young, cheap, pitcher like Burnes. I don’t even think Cease + Madrigal gets them to listen.

Other than Brewers need help at several positions, I harbor no expectations re: Sheets and Mercedes general value and I agree Cease plus Madrigal wouldn't interest them. My point is to the extent we would consider bundling a number of players in pursuit of Gray, maybe there is a package we can assemble that appeals to Brewers. I am skeptical there is anything we can dangle to convince them to part with Burnes though.    

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If the Sox didn't already have a couple guys capable of taking over at closer, I'd care more about landing Hendriks, but shit, just move on to Colome or Hand at this point. I'm 100% confident in Bummer taking over as closer if Colome/Hand falter.

Better use of resources is definitely a lower-cost closer and better starter than Hendriks and mediocre starter.  I’m surprised Sox aren’t more linked to Rosenthal.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If the Sox didn't already have a couple guys capable of taking over at closer, I'd care more about landing Hendriks, but shit, just move on to Colome or Hand at this point. I'm 100% confident in Bummer taking over as closer if Colome/Hand falter.

I don’t think anyone believes that Bummer wouldn’t be a capable closer but then we lose him in high leverage situations in earlier innings and no thank you on that.

Just now, fathom said:

Better use of resources is definitely a lower-cost closer and better starter than Hendriks and mediocre starter.  I’m surprised Sox aren’t more linked to Rosenthal.

Assuming no Bauer...which is more useful in the playoffs? 

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

I don’t think anyone believes that Bummer wouldn’t be a capable closer but then we lose him in high leverage situations in earlier innings and no thank you on that.

There are still plenty of good high leverage guys. This move wouldn't lead to more innings by Cordero or anything like that.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

There are still plenty of good high leverage guys. This move wouldn't lead to more innings by Cordero or anything like that.

Cordero tops the list of guys who is going to get squeezed out of the pen so it's likely the Sox have him on the "include him in any trade if anyone wants him" list along with guys like Sheets ,Rutherford, Luis Gonzalez, Micker Adolpho, Collins, Mercedes, Zavala etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I'm okay trading those assets but probably not for Gray. If we are prepared to bundle a strong package of prospects for a starter, let's try to pry Corbin Burnes from the Brewers. Not sure how they would value Madrigal (they have Hiura at 2nd) but they need help pretty much everywhere else except RF (Yelich). Maybe swap out Madrigal with Cease and add Sheets and maybe Mercedes and we can get a conversation started with them.

We need to add a pitcher so trading Cease for Burnes is net neutral even if you’re getting more certainty of that spot.  Plus I’d really like to avoid moving Cease and let him work with a non Don Cooper pitching coach.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic