Jump to content
Chicago White Sox

Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

We're not even at our peak yet.  This is like a late-run Cubs kind of move.  Cease, Kopech, Crochet, etc. are just babies.  Robert really has no idea what he is doing at the plate right now.  Maybe Eloy is Manny Ramirez or Albert Belle even as another poster comped, etc., one day, but he's still getting there.  Giolito hasn't even thrown 200IP in a season yet, etc.  

We're not at the part of our window where we need to be taking on multiyear deals where we just throw caution to the wind in years 3, 4, and so on because we have rationalized that it's all worth it on the back end if we win while we still have a chance.  The "window" IMO isn't even "fully open" yet; it's just cracked.  This team has a great shot at winning the ALC because the ALC is a pile of crap, but we're still growing, and we're not at the levels of the truly elite teams in the game right now.  We're definitely lesser than the Yankees in the AL, maybe on par with the Rays, on par maybe with Oak and it's debatable, close with Min, and in the NL we're definitely not the Dodgers or Padres, and probably lesser than the Mets ATM as well.  

The #1 goal is to win a WS. I think it is foolish to think this is going to be some sort of dynasty especially with this owner. I am not suggesting to upload the farm for some mid grade players, but giving a closer a 4 year deal shouldn't be a problem. Win the WS, and then we can talk about the possibility of a dynasty.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Anything new Jimmy?

It’s Saturday on the East Coast. Over 400,000 people have died of COVID in the US. My son watched a dreamy Netflix movie called Charmed tonight and currently is still awake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the sox truly wanted him they would of locked him up already.  We are playing the prototypical sox lets let it simmer and hope the market isnt there and we can strike for a bargain.  The same technique we used with Machado.  Someone will swoop in and steal him away at the last minute here because we are bargain hunting for a need.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

If the sox truly wanted him they would of locked him up already.  We are playing the prototypical sox lets let it simmer and hope the market isnt there and we can strike for a bargain.  The same technique we used with Machado.  Someone will swoop in and steal him away at the last minute here because we are bargain hunting for a need.  

To be fair, few free agents have signed yet, so there is zero reason to rush into making a four year offer in this market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

If the sox truly wanted him they would of locked him up already.  We are playing the prototypical sox lets let it simmer and hope the market isnt there and we can strike for a bargain.  The same technique we used with Machado.  Someone will swoop in and steal him away at the last minute here because we are bargain hunting for a need.  

I could not agree more with this statement.  Some of been critical of my comments, which is fun and fair, for articulating this point, not as succinctly.  I also must admit that I am an addict, I would not want to know how many times I have visited this thread over the last month!!  Starting for some news...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

We're not even at our peak yet.  This is like a late-run Cubs kind of move.  Cease, Kopech, Crochet, etc. are just babies.  Robert really has no idea what he is doing at the plate right now.  Maybe Eloy is Manny Ramirez or Albert Belle even as another poster comped, etc., one day, but he's still getting there.  Giolito hasn't even thrown 200IP in a season yet, etc.  

We're not at the part of our window where we need to be taking on multiyear deals where we just throw caution to the wind in years 3, 4, and so on because we have rationalized that it's all worth it on the back end if we win while we still have a chance.  The "window" IMO isn't even "fully open" yet; it's just cracked.  This team has a great shot at winning the ALC because the ALC is a pile of crap, but we're still growing, and we're not at the levels of the truly elite teams in the game right now.  We're definitely lesser than the Yankees in the AL, maybe on par with the Rays, on par maybe with Oak and it's debatable, close with Min, and in the NL we're definitely not the Dodgers or Padres, and probably lesser than the Mets ATM as well.  

As of right now every proven major league starting pitcher we have is gone in 3 years.  Hopefully we’re not at our peak but we sure as hell may be.  I keep saying it but the time to make something happen is absolutely right now because as much as we all hope we’re building some type of dynasty(we’re not), we have no clue what this roster is going to look like in 4 years.

Edited by Rowand44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

We're not even at our peak yet.  This is like a late-run Cubs kind of move.  Cease, Kopech, Crochet, etc. are just babies.  Robert really has no idea what he is doing at the plate right now.  Maybe Eloy is Manny Ramirez or Albert Belle even as another poster comped, etc., one day, but he's still getting there.  Giolito hasn't even thrown 200IP in a season yet, etc.  

We're not at the part of our window where we need to be taking on multiyear deals where we just throw caution to the wind in years 3, 4, and so on because we have rationalized that it's all worth it on the back end if we win while we still have a chance.  The "window" IMO isn't even "fully open" yet; it's just cracked.  This team has a great shot at winning the ALC because the ALC is a pile of crap, but we're still growing, and we're not at the levels of the truly elite teams in the game right now.  We're definitely lesser than the Yankees in the AL, maybe on par with the Rays, on par maybe with Oak and it's debatable, close with Min, and in the NL we're definitely not the Dodgers or Padres, and probably lesser than the Mets ATM as well.  

That's only 3 teams you rank "better" than us.  That makes the window open.☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, few free agents have signed yet, so there is zero reason to rush into making a four year offer in this market.

I trust RH to make a reasonable offer.  If the ask is out of line... we will and should walk away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

As of right now every proven major league starting pitcher we have is gone in 3 years.  Hopefully we’re not at our peak but we sure as hell may be.  I keep saying it but the time to make something happen is absolutely right now because as much as we all hope we’re building some type of dynasty(we’re not), we have no clue what this roster is going to look like in 4 years.

In four years we’ll still have a ton of guys under contract and some financial flexibility with Abreu, Grandal, & Keuchel’s sizable salaries off the books.  I agree we need to start going for it and sacrificing some future value to win now, but we are still at least a year away from making what I’d call “all-in” moves that could shorten the window.  After this season, we should have a much better indication of what we have in Kopech, Cease, & hopefully Crochet.  If even two of those three guys can develop into high-end starters it would likely extend our window another couple years, with or without Giolito in place.  

Anyways, my point is simply don’t do things that blatantly hurt our chances to win in 2024 & 2025 by taking on a ton of potential dead money or emptying your prospect cupboards.  If you think Hendriks’s contract is fairly likely to be a waste in the second half of it, then don’t give him four years and move in another direction.  If you think he will age more graciously and maintain some usefulness towards the end then get a deal done. I’m personally willing to roll the dice on a four year deal with him if push comes to shove, but we shouldn’t automatically operate as if this is the peak and completely ignore the future.  IMO, there has to be some level of balance between prioritizing winning now and giving you a strong chance to win later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

We're not even at our peak yet.  This is like a late-run Cubs kind of move.  Cease, Kopech, Crochet, etc. are just babies.  Robert really has no idea what he is doing at the plate right now.  Maybe Eloy is Manny Ramirez or Albert Belle even as another poster comped, etc., one day, but he's still getting there.  Giolito hasn't even thrown 200IP in a season yet, etc.  

We're not at the part of our window where we need to be taking on multiyear deals where we just throw caution to the wind in years 3, 4, and so on because we have rationalized that it's all worth it on the back end if we win while we still have a chance.  The "window" IMO isn't even "fully open" yet; it's just cracked.  This team has a great shot at winning the ALC because the ALC is a pile of crap, but we're still growing, and we're not at the levels of the truly elite teams in the game right now.  We're definitely lesser than the Yankees in the AL, maybe on par with the Rays, on par maybe with Oak and it's debatable, close with Min, and in the NL we're definitely not the Dodgers or Padres, and probably lesser than the Mets ATM as well.  

Maybe on par with the Rays?  They just lost two of their best starters and will be taking a step backwards next year.  The A’s are going to lose Hendriks & possibly Semien.  Honestly, the only team that I’d argue is above us in the AL is the Yankees and that’s assuming they bring back LeMahieu and add more pitching.  We are clearly in the mix for the 2nd best team right now and could jump with another few moves.  The path to the World Series is wide open for us and while hopefully we haven’t peaked yet, we should not a waste a year of this core.  We need to start taking some risk, even if we aren’t at the “all-in” point just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

 

 

Can I get a burger with grilled onions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Cashman said:

The #1 goal is to win a WS. I think it is foolish to think this is going to be some sort of dynasty especially with this owner. I am not suggesting to upload the farm for some mid grade players, but giving a closer a 4 year deal shouldn't be a problem. Win the WS, and then we can talk about the possibility of a dynasty.

 

6 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

As of right now every proven major league starting pitcher we have is gone in 3 years.  Hopefully we’re not at our peak but we sure as hell may be.  I keep saying it but the time to make something happen is absolutely right now because as much as we all hope we’re building some type of dynasty(we’re not), we have no clue what this roster is going to look like in 4 years.

My kind of guys. We do have the same owner who, in his reign has never, produced back to back playoff teams. Hopefully that changes this year but I'm not going to take anything for granted like making the playoffs every year for the next 6 years. If we can't win a World Series in the next 3 years there isn't going to be one in the following 3 years. It takes this team  10 years of coming close before they realize they can't/won't spend enough to get them over the top before they tear it down again.

The Sox had good teams in the 90's. We kept hearing about 2nd highest winning percent for a cumulative period. It never got them in the playoffs in back to back years. It didn't get them a World Series . They won 1 World Series because ,in an unlikely chain of events, a lot of good things happened  that you could say was planned, based on a number of roster decisions ending up working, but ,in the grand scheme was just so much going right at the same time, it can only be described as luck or fate.

The Sox aren't real good at actually planning to win because they don't do it that often. They always suck at one thing or another , drafting, trading for or signing  bums or trading away superstars ,international draft, MLB scouting but mostly not really caring about winning.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, I believe this DeWon Day burner about Hendriks already agreeing w the Jays - 3 years, option year, $13mil AAv. Hope the Sox adjust accordingly or we're going to have serious egg on our face. Very disappointing.  Not sure what Hahn is doing.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, longshot7 said:

For the record, I believe this DeWon Day burner about Hendriks already agreeing w the Jays - 3 years, option year, $13mil AAv. Hope the Sox adjust accordingly or we're going to have serious egg on our face. Very disappointing.  Not sure what Hahn is doing.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, longshot7 said:

Huh?

It is a greeting of warm salutation.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hi8is said:

It is a greeting of warm salutation.

Oh ok. Well, welcome to Soxtalk yourself then! :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, longshot7 said:

For the record, I believe this DeWon Day burner about Hendriks already agreeing w the Jays - 3 years, option year, $13mil AAv. Hope the Sox adjust accordingly or we're going to have serious egg on our face. Very disappointing.  Not sure what Hahn is doing.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, longshot7 said:

For the record, I believe this DeWon Day burner about Hendriks already agreeing w the Jays - 3 years, option year, $13mil AAv. Hope the Sox adjust accordingly or we're going to have serious egg on our face. Very disappointing.  Not sure what Hahn is doing.

All for Twitter speculation in a boring offseason but if he’s right he has known something for days that not even a reporter very connected to the Blue Jays does . Plus Codify is still tweeting about Hendriks like he’s available.

 

Edited by Orlando

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Orlando said:

All for Twitter speculation in a boring offseason but if he’s right he has known something for days that not even a reporter very connected to the Blue Jays does . Plus Codify is still tweeting about Hendriks like he’s available.

 

Rumors never really suprise me anymore but the Codify thing seems slightly overplayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will Venmo Hendricks $20 to make a decision today even if not sox to cover the loss of signing earlier

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I will Venmo Hendricks $20 to make a decision today even if not sox to cover the loss of signing earlier

I’ll send you his ( my ) account for the cash, right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fathom said:

Out of curiosity, why do you believe him 

Reading the rest of his tweets, there is a pretty uniform professional tone to them. This person is connected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×