The Sox don't need to sign a DH. They have Yermín Francisco Mercedes.

ron883

This talk of signing Brantley or Rosario to DH until Vaughn is ready is malarkey. It is a complete waste of resources. It is time for the team to release Yermin and see what he's got. They can rotate guys to DH on occasion if need be. 

The only issue is if Yermin is completely mashing (OPS 850+) and Vaughn is ready, what do they do? Do you just keep Vaughn down until there is an injury?

Bottom line - paying good money for a DH is silly when we have Yermin ready and Vaughn ready soon as well. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I agree, yermin and Collins for 2-4 weeks is fine and they shouldn't sign a DH.

However I doubt that either of the two can keep vaughn down.

If one of them really mashes then keep vaughn in the minors till the trade deadline (which would be nice due to super 2 status too) and then sell high on mercedes/Collins at the deadline and get a good reliever for them.

• Like 1

I’m less concerned about an interim DH and more concerned with what happens if Eloy or Eaton goes does for an extended period of time.  A left-handed corner OF type would be fantastic to have to open the season at DH and then move into a backup role.  Hell, I’d be ok with Mazara at 1/$2.5M, but doubt he takes that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This talk of signing Brantley or Rosario to DH until Vaughn is ready is malarkey. It is a complete waste of resources. It is time for the team to release Yermin and see what he's got. They can rotate guys to DH on occasion if need be. 

The only issue is if Yermin is completely mashing (OPS 850+) and Vaughn is ready, what do they do? Do you just keep Vaughn down until there is an injury?

Bottom line - paying good money for a DH is silly when we have Yermin ready and Vaughn ready soon as well. 

If it didn't happen in 19' or 20" , it's not happening in 21' . The Sox had their opportunities and blew him off. If the NL doesn't have the DH this year, which is looking more and likely, it limits the teams to which he can be traded. He'll probably end up a PTBNL or put on waivers

• Haha 1

Wait, that isn't a parody account? Or is it really going deep on the parody account? 

I'm confused. Do you actually think Yermin is the next D. Ortiz or something?

Yermin can maybe put up a Palka half season, I guess? But that's an experiment for the Royals or the 2017 White Sox. You don't make moves like Lynn and Keuchel to experiment with players of Yermin's caliber. I'm pretty sure 98% of the board gets that, so probably useless stating this. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m less concerned about an interim DH and more concerned with what happens if Eloy or Eaton goes does for an extended period of time.  A left-handed corner OF type would be fantastic to have to open the season at DH and then move into a backup role.  Hell, I’d be ok with Mazara at 1/$2.5M, but doubt he takes that.

Wouldn’t hate trying to talk Markakis into coming to the team for a cheap 1 year deal. Was still fairly productive in 2019 and would bring a presence to the locker room. Plus would more than likely accept the backup role vs a younger guy looking for AB’s.

• Like 1

If there is any hint of Nelson Cruz staying in the AL Central, than the Sox should seriously consider topping whatever offer he has from the ALC team. Removing him from a team like the Twins has a ton of value, doubly so if you're adding him to your team.

Yeah, he may fall off a cliff, but this dude has proven that he knows how to hit, much more so than a guy like Edwin who is boom or bust. Nelson is one guy I wouldn't mind bringing in and holding back Vaughn or Yermin for. 

• Like 1

That chose to see what AJ Reed had to offer over the likes of someone like Yermin. I think it’s pretty clear their opinion is of whether or not he is major league quality. Personally I would have at least given him a shot, but I think that window has passed.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:13 PM, yesterday333 said:

Personally I would go with Yermin until Vaughn is ready. You find out if you’ve got something there. And you’re not depending on him for a long stretch of time.  But I don’t think that is how it will be done. 

yah id personally be fine with collins/yermin/mendick/leury combo to start the year. especially if its the difference between spending $5-10mm on a bat v. putting that towards a bullpen arm. 

if vaughn doesn't pan out next year thne you can always get a decent rental for cheap at the deadline too. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 9:02 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If it didn't happen in 19' or 20" , it's not happening in 21' . The Sox had their opportunities and blew him off. If the NL doesn't have the DH this year, which is looking more and likely, it limits the teams to which he can be traded. He'll probably end up a PTBNL or put on waivers

If the Sox aren’t interested in giving him a chance I think there will be some team with a valuation of him high enough to give something of value back. Not suggesting a haul, but interesting bullpen arm or something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackout Friday said:

If the Sox aren’t interested in giving him a chance I think there will be some team with a valuation of him high enough to give something of value back. Not suggesting a haul, but interesting bullpen arm or something. 

You never know. You would think some team would want to see if a guy who put up just as good offensive numbers in Charlotte as Robert and then lit up Spring training up here can actually hit the way he has shown he can. Maybe the Sox can identify the next Fernando Tatis , Jr. in someone's DSL team to trade him for.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 7:13 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I would take a look at Brad Miller as a bargain option. He could be a LHH UTIL/DH and split times with likes of Yermin and Collins at DH for a few months. He only got $2M after a great 2019, I would imagine he would cost around the same this time around.

• Like 1

You never know...it’s not impossible that Mercedes turns into an Ortiz. I don’t think that’s the baseline scenario by any stretch, but we’ll never know for certain unless he gets a chance! I do think he would’ve been considerably better than EE last year but we’re beating a dead horse now...

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 12:16 AM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

66902461.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 8:39 AM, BrianAnderson said:

You don't make moves like Lynn and Keuchel to experiment with players of Yermin's caliber. I'm pretty sure 98% of the board gets that, so probably useless stating this. 

But you experiment with Collins ?

2 hours ago, tray said:

But you experiment with Collins ?

Yes. Not so much an experiment as its you dont sign a DH (Schwarber/Rosario/Brantley) whose cost ($8mm/$8mm/$10-12mm for multi year) outweighs the value they'd bring to the team. A Rosario doesn't bring that much add'l value over a DH rotation over a month period. 

You can throw Leury in LF while Eloy DH's for the first month of the year. Or you can throw Engel in RF, Eaton in LF while Eloy DH's. Some combo like that is more than fine. 

Again, this is from the standpoint of being in the constraints that JR lays out. Yes, in a perfect world you go out and spend the $10mm, however if the choice is $10mm on a DH while Vaughn is next up, or allocating that $10mm to the bullpen/rotation? I'll take the pitching everyday. You can easily go out in July and get a very serviceable bat for pennies on the dollar nowadays. 

If we were allowed to have a top 8 payroll I'd do this completely different. it still wouldn't involve a high paid DH or Springer even in those scenarios though. 

• Like 1

If money is the issue - and it sounds like it will be - then if they sign Liam (13M) and Quintana (10M), how about Robbie Grossman at $3M?? He is a switch hitter, plays good outfield, would allow quite a bit of flexibility in lineups and late inning defense. He is not Brantley, but has a career OBP of .350 and played well for Oakland last year.

• Like 1