The Sox don't need to sign a DH. They have Yermín Francisco Mercedes.

ron883

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Based off what Hahn said yesterday, I have a feeling we see Eloy and Leury switch off DH and LF until Vaughn is ready. 

Mercedes seems like such an obvious solution until Vaughn is ready...what's the point of having him if he can't fill in for a couple of weeks?  If he proves up to the job we have an asset to use in trades with the NL should they approve the DH.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Mercedes seems like such an obvious solution until Vaughn is ready...what's the point of having him if he can't fill in for a couple of weeks?  If he proves up to the job we have an asset to use in trades with the NL should they approve the DH.

Thank you poppy! Always a man of reason. Spending on a DH when Vaughn will be ready so soon is just silly. Give Yermin and Collins a chance. One of them could turn into a big time bat. 

• Like 3

If you can get Brantley you do it and keep Vaughn down for the year unless he's crushing and there's an injury. 

Mercedes is there in case there's a C injury or Collins sucks. This is assuming we don't sign a Flowers or Molina to back up.

But if we don't sign Brantley I'm all for giving Mercedes a shot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Capital G said:

If you can get Brantley you do it and keep Vaughn down for the year unless he's crushing and there's an injury. 

Mercedes is there in case there's a C injury or Collins sucks. This is assuming we don't sign a Flowers or Molina to back up.

But if we don't sign Brantley I'm all for giving Mercedes a shot.

The problem for us is twofold.  It’s now pretty clear that our 2021 budget is somewhat limited due to COVID.  Therefore, signing Brantley means  we can’t add either a closer or another starter.  Given the strength of our offense, it makes much more sense to invest in pitching first.  Second, Brantley is going to get a multi year deal and that just doesn’t work for us from a roster standpoint even if we held down Vaughn all of 2021.

• Like 1

I doubt it happens, but Mazara at a 1/$2.5M deal makes a ton of sense for us to open the season at DH (or split time with Eloy) and then move to a backup role once Vaughn is ready.  Now, he’ll probably want to prioritize an everyday playing time above all else, but come January or February if he hasn’t found a role it’s somewhat I would seriously consider.  And to be clear, this is under the assumption we have significant budget limitations and aren’t going to spend big on a DH.  Otherwise, I’d be looking at much more impactful options.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tray said:

I would keep him in case Collins sucks or Grandal gets injured.

Mercedes doesn’t catch at even a minimumably passable mlb level. He serves no purpose in relation to the catcher position IMO aside from emergency use. He’d basically be a dh only player

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:16 AM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This talk of signing Brantley or Rosario to DH until Vaughn is ready is malarkey. It is a complete waste of resources. It is time for the team to release Yermin and see what he's got. They can rotate guys to DH on occasion if need be. 

The only issue is if Yermin is completely mashing (OPS 850+) and Vaughn is ready, what do they do? Do you just keep Vaughn down until there is an injury?

Bottom line - paying good money for a DH is silly when we have Yermin ready and Vaughn ready soon as well. 

Bottom line is we can find a quality DH at a very low figure so the waste of resources is malarky. Yermin was 27 last year and didn't get a shot and we had one of the worst DH situations in the league. Vaughn and Yermin are insurance if Schwarber or whomever we bring in either gets injured or isn't up to the job. Vaughn hasn't hit above A ball pencilling him at DH seems a bit nuts to me especially when the rest of the team is built to win now.

People need to get over this mad scientist stuff we went through when we were rebuilding. We aren't in a position to put the season at risk for unproven players

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, wrathofhahn said:

Bottom line is we can find a quality DH at a very low figure so the waste of resources is malarky. Yermin was 27 last year and didn't get a shot and we had one of the worst DH situations in the league. Vaughn and Yermin are insurance if Schwarber or whomever we bring in either gets injured or isn't up to the job. Vaughn hasn't hit above A ball pencilling him at DH seems a bit nuts to me especially when the rest of the team is built to win now.

People need to get over this mad scientist stuff we went through when we were rebuilding. We aren't in a position to put the season at risk for unproven players

I agree that DHs will probably not cost that much. I would be fine with the organization running out the clock and grabbing a DH that is passable for occasional outfield or 2B/3B games. 

Although I won’t bet against this organization’s “veteran with a one-year contract” curse

Just now, MackowiakYakYak said:

I agree that DHs will probably not cost that much. I would be fine with the organization running out the clock and grabbing a DH that is passable for occasional outfield or 2B/3B games. 

Although I won’t bet against this organization’s “veteran with a one-year contract” curse

La Stella makes all the sense in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't have a problem with keeping vaughn down until summer and make him earn it in the minors but I would not want to spend on a pure DH who might clog the roster after the break.

I keep going back and forth on this. Sign someone to a one year deal and if they are bad, you can cut them in favor of Vaughn. If they are doing good, then you keep Vaughn in the minors. Too many good players at the MLB level is never a problem.