2020/2021 NCAA Basketball Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Illinois gets the #3 overall seed and potentially avoids Gonzaga until the national championship. 

Nice win vs. Ohio State in the B1G tournament, even though Ayo and Kofi looked really bad in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half.

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Illinois gets the #3 overall seed and potentially avoids Gonzaga until the national championship. 

Nice win vs. Ohio State in the B1G tournament, even though Ayo and Kofi looked really bad in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half.

I don’t like the Illinois bracket. They have to face a tough Loyola D in the second round and Cunningham and one of the hottest teams in Oklahoma State in Sweet 16. But of course the Committee was going for storylines with these matchups.

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don’t like the Illinois bracket. They have to face a tough Loyola D in the second round and Cunningham and one of the hottest teams in Oklahoma State in Sweet 16. But of course the Committee was going for storylines with these matchups.

Loyola is not beating georgia tech. Illinois got screwed hard by having to play the acc champs in the second round. 

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Loyola is not beating georgia tech. Illinois got screwed hard by having to play the acc champs in the second round. 

This Loyola team is even better than the 2018 Cinderella team. I think they have a good shot vs GT.

5 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

GT has no prayer though against Kofi.  It would be interesting to see Alvarado vs Curbelo, as they look like twins.  GT being a 9 though and Clemson a 7 is a disgrace.

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They were always projected to get Loyola in the 2nd round. Lunardi even had that when they were projected as the last 1 seed. The crazy thing is that Loyola is like the 9th ranked team in the Pomeroy rankings. It's definitely not a easy draw for the Illini, but they've been playing top 10 teams for the entirety of March. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They were always projected to get Loyola in the 2nd round. Lunardi even had that when they were projected as the last 1 seed. The crazy thing is that Loyola is like the 9th ranked team in the Pomeroy rankings. It's definitely not a easy draw for the Illini, but they've been playing top 10 teams for the entirety of March. 

Funny enough, I thought the Big 12 was the best conference the last two months. Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of those teams go far.  Michigan and Ohio St peaked way too early.

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

But that was when they were the final 1 seed right? Somehow they still drew Loyola even when they’re the 3rd 1 seed. Loyola is 9th KenPom and 10th in NET. The 8th seed in Michigan’s bracket, LSU, is 29th KenPom and 28th NET. Just seems like they were going for storyline there. Like I said Oklahoma State is another storyline pick with it being Underwood’s last team.

But to your point Illinois is definitely battle tested and ready. But I was hoping by moving up to the 3rd 1 seed they’d get an easier path to the Elite 8.

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Funny enough, I thought the Big 12 was the best conference the last two months. Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of those teams go far.  Michigan and Ohio St peaked way too early.

Agreed. I thought they were right there with the B1G down the stretch if not better. And OKSU basically played the best teams in that conference the last 8 games and went 6-2, and Cunningham has been playing like the #1 overall pick for them.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

But that was when they were the final 1 seed right? Somehow they still drew Loyola even when they’re the 3rd 1 seed. Loyola is 9th KenPom and 10th in NET. The 8th seed in Michigan’s bracket, LSU, is 29th KenPom and 28th NET. Just seems like they were going for storyline there. Like I said Oklahoma State is another storyline pick with it being Underwood’s last team.

But to your point Illinois is definitely battle tested and ready. But I was hoping by moving up to the 3rd 1 seed they’d get an easier path to the Elite 8.

I'm still not sure I understand how Loyola is that high in KenPom when they've played 1 ranked team all season and lost. I understand that they've dominated the MVC, but they've got 2 teams in the tournament from that conference. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The first weekend is pushed back one day and the second weekend is pushed back two days compared to normal. I have to say I like this. It gets more games on the weekends. I wouldn't mind seeing this become a permanent change.

Not really.  They end up playing Monday the first "weekend" and Mon-Tues the 2nd "weekend".

Just now, champagne030 said:

Not really.  They end up playing Monday the first "weekend" and Mon-Tues the 2nd "weekend".

When I say weekend games I mean Saturday-Sunday games.  When you play Thursday-Sunday both weekends you get 16 games the first weekend and 4 games the second weekend. When you play Friday-Monday and Saturday-Tuesday you get 24 games the first weekend and 8 games the second weekend. You end up with fewer Monday-Tuesday games than you had on Thursday-Friday.

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

This Loyola team is even better than the 2018 Cinderella team. I think they have a good shot vs GT.

Loyola is a Top 10 team in both KenPom and NET. They totally got screwed, and Illinois too as a result. I was going to have them as a potential Elite 8/Final Four team depending on the draw, and while I wouldn't be shocked if they beat Illinois I'm not going to predict it, not with how the Illini are playing right now.