2020/2021 NCAA Basketball Thread

On 4/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, caulfield12 said:

Brad Stevens

Matt Doherty (unlikely)

Hubert Davis

Phil Ford

Jerry Stackhouse

King Rice

trying to brainstorm some guys for UNC spot...Steve Robinson, CB McGrath, Brad Frederick, Sean May

Hubert Davis should be the choice. He's only 50. He's been a UNC assistant a long time. He's a part of the Carolina "family" and their AD would be crazy to go outside the family when that's been the Carolina way for so long. Unless Few wants it (no way, he's a legend already with the Zags, especially if he wins tonight) or Brad Stevens (is Brad Stevens that great?) it has to go to UNC family member Davis. ... I will say if Few went anywhere else it'd be UNC I bet. He and Roy Williams are very close.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hubert Davis should be the choice. He's only 50. He's been a UNC assistant a long time. He's a part of the Carolina "family" and their AD would be crazy to go outside the family when that's been the Carolina way for so long. Unless Few wants it (no way, he's a legend already with the Zags, especially if he wins tonight) or Brad Stevens (is Brad Stevens that great?) it has to go to UNC family member Davis. ... I will say if Few went anywhere else it'd be UNC I bet. He and Roy Williams are very close.

If Carolina hires an assistant, it would be a MAJOR step back for them.  They should be able to attract a top HC right now, hence why Holtmann is interviewing today.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fathom said:

Vandy, done deal

Wow, that's a bit of a shock for a Midwest kid.

Iowa lost Jack Nunge back home closer to Indiana simply because of family health issues and going through another knee injury (torn meniscus).   Still waiting on Weiskamp to decide, but doubt he goes for NBA.  Garza might not even be drafted.  And hopefully Jason Bohannon will just leave campus and become a local real estate or Edward Jones investment broker.

Guess Marcus Carr, Jacob Young (Rutgers) and Rasir Bolton from Iowa State are three of the best ones left out there...and a kid from Siena.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wow, that's a bit of a shock for a Midwest kid.

Iowa lost Jack Nunge back home closer to Indiana simply because of family health issues and going through another knee injury (torn meniscus).   Still waiting on Weiskamp to decide, but doubt he goes for NBA.  Garza might not even be drafted.  And hopefully Jason Bohannon will just leave campus and become a local real estate or Edward Jones investment broker.

Guess Marcus Carr, Jacob Young (Rutgers) and Rasir Bolton from Iowa State are three of the best ones left out there...and a kid from Siena.

Friedrick left iowa too. Not even sure what iowa will look like next year...but it won’t be pretty. 

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Friedrick left iowa too. Not even sure what iowa will look like next year...but it won’t be pretty. 

It’s frustrating with McCaffrey’s son blocking legit point guards...

Guess it will be the Murrays, Oglesby (needs to slim down), Weiskamp, Patrick McC and Ulis, Perkins, Toussaint as rotation.

Need immediate contributions from Mulvey at center and Payton Sandfort.

One of those three guards will exit as well, unless Weiskamp bolts, too.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Xavier for Nunge and Frederick likely to be a KY Wildcat...no way Iowa gets to tourney next year without Marcus Carr.

The idea of Bohannon back and Connor McCaffrey after two hip surgeries is bleak bleak bleak to abysmal.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

What's going on at the U of I? Kofi Cockburn to the transfer portal. Isn't he a true beast? Hasn't Underwood had a lot of deflections? Too many for such a good team?

Are Illini fans OK with Underwood or is he a problem? Or is it normal roster movement?

19 hours ago, greg775 said:

What's going on at the U of I? Kofi Cockburn to the transfer portal. Isn't he a true beast? Hasn't Underwood had a lot of deflections? Too many for such a good team?

Are Illini fans OK with Underwood or is he a problem? Or is it normal roster movement?

It doesn't sound like Kofi will go anywhere, if he opts out of the draft. I think it was something like a technicality to bid more time or something.

It'd be funny if I was wrong though.

Edited by Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it Texas and Oklahoma do go, some version of that will be obvious, the Big 12 would basically be broken. Might as well just break into the 4 Superconferences and get it over with.

Would really hope the 18 team Big Ten will change its name though.