Reinsdorf and Hahn: what happened?

Dominikk85

Hahn was tasked to do a very painful rebuild in which the sox were very bad. He did what he was asked for, traded some stars and built a top3 farm system in mlb. 

It took some time but this year it finally lead to success and the first post season appearance in like a decade.

Hahn also took efforts to turn a very backwards organization into at least middle of the pack team in analytics and player dev and when he announced that he fired ricky and cooper he said that he wants to get more analytics personnel in that presser.

Hahn was generally celebrated and voted executive of the year by media.

But then some stuff happened very quickly. A 75 year old TLR was hired despite jerry knowing the legal allegations but even if not TLR probably wasn't the guy hahn was describing at that presser.

Also the signing/trading of two older veterans eaton and lynn doesn't really look like a hahn move.

So how did this happen? I get jerry is an old man but he seemed to be fine with hahn modernizing the sox (player dev, coaching, analytics) and making them younger in the last 2-3 years so what did change his mind?

The sox are still in a good position to Win but still this seems to be a pretty big change of direction by jerry.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Also the signing/trading of two older veterans eaton and lynn doesn't really look like a hahn move.

Trading a young pitcher off of the rotation for a 1 year rent looks exactly like a Hahn move.  This is the same stuff that did in his last attempt at a build-up (that was a disaster).  Hahn hasn't learned a thing, apparently. 

Signing a declining veteran isn't new to his menu either.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Maybe he just wants to keep his job. But yeah, there is a chance he is on board with this but his presser after the season just sounded very differently.

I agree 100% with this. To me, Hahn wants to see this team win. If it was his money instead of JR’s being spent we would have seen completely different moves being made this year. 

I love that JR is now running the team like Jerry Jones.

Eaton and Lynn were cost effective moves that made the team better and while Dunning was nice he was certainly movable and by no means proof that there is now a push to get really old really quick.

Other than a handful of starters none of which are all that good, nobody has spent any money this offseason.

People need to really take a step back.

The White Sox are not getting Snell for Leury Garcia and Dane Dunning.  The cubs are also not handing off Darvish for Stiever. 

The Sox got burned waiting on Machado and Harper.  My guess is Bauer and Springer are waiting on the Mets.  If the Sox sit around and wait on them there could be nothing left and then the pissing and moaning around here would be epic.

The White Sox are not going to overpay for Sprigner and Bauer you can call them cheap and that would be fair I guess.

• Like 7

Baseball GM's generally have a couple of layers of management above them.  Hahn certainly knew when he was promoted to GM that he would not have unilateral control of all baseball decisions.  That isn't part of the GM job description.  I would assume that if this rebuild concludes successfully he may replace Williams at some point and hire his own GM similar to what just happened with the Cubs.  Or maybe another team will offer him a President type role.  Regardless I'm sure he knows that doing the best he can with whatever limitations Reinsdorf and Williams place on him is the route to that position.

I see nothing in the Lynn or Eaton deal that would indicate that he was opposed to either deal.  This is what teams do when they are close-fill holes.

6 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

I agree 100% with this. To me, Hahn wants to see this team win. If it was his money instead of JR’s being spent we would have seen completely different moves being made this year. 

Every GM wants to have more money, no GM would say "nah, don't give me more money, I'm fine with our budget":).

Can't blame hahn for the budget, it is what it is especially with covid but still wondering about some moves.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t every GM in baseball do that if they could?  My 8 year old son would do that, it doesn’t mean he should be given credit for that.

This can only happen if the owner agrees to it. I truly believe that if it was Hahn’s money he would’ve gone after Bauer.

This board has made it clear that we’re not in on Bauer because of JR, not Hahn.

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

This can only happen if the owner agrees to it. I truly believe that if it was Hahn’s money he would’ve gone after Bauer.

This board has made it clear that we’re not in on Bauer because of JR, not Hahn.

How’s this not different for every team?  You’re telling me Hoyer wouldn’t want Bauer, but Ricketts gave him a budget?

1 hour ago, DH in the NL said:

Perhaps that is true.  However, this idea that the owner of a business should keep his nose out of employee's work-related duties is not really how the real world works.

Hahn is like every other employee who has to live under a corporate culture. He is going to be limited in some of his moves and will be outright over-ruled in other cases. LaRussa is a JR move no doubt. Eaton is something Hahn would do. Regardless, Hahn is probably well-paid and has to understand the political situation within the franchise. In the end, the measure of Hahn's success will be on the field, and Hahn will have to figure out how to attain that success within the White Sox power structure. just like anyone else who has a job.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I love that JR is now running the team like Jerry Jones.

Eaton and Lynn were cost effective moves that made the team better and while Dunning was nice he was certainly movable and by no means proof that there is now a push to get really old really quick.

Other than a handful of starters none of which are all that good, nobody has spent any money this offseason.

People need to really take a step back.

The White Sox are not getting Snell for Leury Garcia and Dane Dunning.  The cubs are also not handing off Darvish for Stiever. 

The Sox got burned waiting on Machado and Harper.  My guess is Bauer and Springer are waiting on the Mets.  If the Sox sit around and wait on them there could be nothing left and then the pissing and moaning around here would be epic.

The White Sox are not going to overpay for Sprigner and Bauer you can call them cheap and that would be fair I guess.

It's a delusional fanbase.   Every offseason, it's the same thing and this being a fanbase that prides itself as being smarter than the next one. 

What we have seen so far with the Lynn and Eaton moves is the same old "Sox way of doing business."  Not sure where the shock comes from.   However, unlike past patchwork acquisitions, there is an elite level core already in place this time around for which these moves make way more sense than the past.  

While I'd love to one day see the Sox make headlines and landing a Big Whale with no questions asked, I don't feel it's as urgently necessary this time around.   However, I do not want to hear excuses down the line about not being able to retain our own home grown talent.   So far, they have honored that part by jumping on early deals to lock up most of our core for an year or two beyond free agency.   Need to see the same done for Giolito here soon.  

I hate to sound like dumb ass Bernstein on the Score, but the Sox are a lot closer to winning the World Series here today. 

7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Hahn is like every other employee who has to live under a corporate culture. He is going to be limited in some of his moves and will be outright over-ruled in other cases. LaRussa is a JR move no doubt. Eaton is something Hahn would do. Regardless, Hahn is probably well-paid and has to understand the political situation within the franchise. In the end, the measure of Hahn's success will be on the field, and Hahn will have to figure out how to attain that success within the White Sox power structure. just like anyone else who has a job.

What is odd to me is that the angry fans seem to say or want Hahn to quit because of this. Where is he gonna go? He has built something special here and will want to bask in the glory of it after 7 years of failure. He isn't gonna leave here and go somewhere just to start over and risk being a failure again.  

I have mostly loved Hahn’s moves in the rebuild. But this short sighted bargain patchwork shopping is exactly how he tried to make a winning team before the rebuild. I wish we could spend on A level younger players instead of B or C level (or old) cheap players but that is not how we do it. Saying these moves aren’t Hahn ignores how he tried to do it last time. I think the only move that wasn’t Hahn is TLR. 

• Haha 1