DH in the NL discussion

fathom

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

I'm hoping one of Joc, Schwarber or Brantley is still on Rick's radar. Gotta get somebody who can play the OF. Sox have two injury prone guys in the outfield starting (Eloy, Eaton) and Leury Garcia is probably the most injury prone player out of them all. You can not have Adam Engel getting consistent ABs if (really that "if" should be "when" at this point) those guys go down.

Buster Olney reported today that there likely is a DH in the NL for 2021

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Buster Olney reported today that there likely is a DH in the NL for 2021

Isn't that contrary to the last thing you told us about the DH ? I know you are just reporting it so I'm not taking a stab at you. I'm just not getting a clear picture of the whole DH in the NL thing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

This is good news to get Cruz out of the ALC.

Should have tried to lock up a DH bat before they announce this. But then again, those DH bats were definitely holding out for this news. I expect we will have a lot of momentum on the DH market starting today.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Should have tried to lock up a DH bat before they announce this. But then again, those DH bats were definitely holding out for this news. I expect we will have a lot of momentum on the DH market starting today.

The Sox have plenty DH options in house.   I don't want to ever see another Encarnacion handcuff.

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Isn't that contrary to the last thing you told us about the DH ? I know you are just reporting it so I'm not taking a stab at you. I'm just not getting a clear picture of the whole DH in the NL thing.

Supposedly the PA has told players to assume that negotiations will lead to a DH in 2021; this is after the owners told teams there would very likely not be a DH in 2021. I imagine this was just a negotiating tactic, but I would listen to the players side in the ordeal. I also assumed there would be no DH following all the reports from within.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Supposedly the PA has told players to assume that negotiations will lead to a DH in 2021; this is after the owners told teams there would very likely not be a DH in 2021. I imagine this was just a negotiating tactic, but I would listen to the players side in the ordeal. I also assumed there would be no DH following all the reports from within.

Yes, it's all a negotiating tactic. If the players want it, they will need to give something up, probably expanded playoffs. Whoever leaked it from the union caused a big issue. It gives the owners more leverage.

30 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

DHs were not signing until positive news broke. I still think we can get a good one and would love to see Nelson Cruz bounce. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I'm hoping one of Joc, Schwarber or Brantley is still on Rick's radar. Gotta get somebody who can play the OF. Sox have two injury prone guys in the outfield starting (Eloy, Eaton) and Leury Garcia is probably the most injury prone player out of them all. You can not have Adam Engel getting consistent ABs if (really that "if" should be "when" at this point) those guys go down.

Brantley probably isn't going to happen, but Joc could maybe still make sense if he'd sign a 1 year deal.  Still wouldn't mind getting David Dahl.  I also think Marwin Gonzalez would be great cause he can play everywhere and fill in for a week or two at many positions in case of IL stints.  Still room for him on the roster once Vaughn arrives.  Can't really say the same about DH types like Schwarber.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Olney is saying teams were told to proceed without the DH in the NL, but the teams believe there will be a DH after they player's union meets with MLB. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

As much as I would like this, then what do you do about Vaughn the next two years?

get an extra year by bringing him up in June, have him/eloy/abreu round robin DH and let Eloy play the field 2-3 games a week. Get's Engel some playing time and maybe justifies bringing in Dahl to see if he rebounds.  I am not sure TLR would handle that kind of juggling though. Seems like a lot to figure out. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's just tough from a DH type player's perspective for the time being since he will only field offers from AL teams and shortens the window to sign with an NL team. Too many guys in limbo until it actually gets done. Assuming there will be a DH in the NL doesn't help them at all and may hurt them if they wait around for NL approval and it doesn't happen while others sign for cheap with an AL team.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside