Official: McCann is a Met, $40/4 years

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

We coulda had James McCann for 3 more years or so and Kole Calhoun out in RF for like $20 million less than Grandal.

Remember 2019 when James McCann was an All-Star... look at his 2nd half numbers. James is a great person, excellent defensive C, works great with Giolito. However, he is not a long term solution as a starting C. If the Mets sign him for 4 years, they will regret it. He's the perfect compliment. He does best when he's playing sparingly, he proved that in 2019. 

1st half 2019: .316/.371/.502

2nd half 2019: .226/.281/.413

Having him at C and Calhoun in RF, we would all be saying we need to improve in both of those areas right now. 

I don't like Grandal's defense behind the plate, which is why I would like to sign Tyler Flowers as a back up, but his bat is good and hopefully with Tony, he won't be smelling the 2,3,4, or 5 spots in the batting order! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Vulture said:

His loss definitely diminishes the teams on multiple levels

severely diminishes a key component.

Perhaps  TLaR will now call Yadier Molina to see if he wants to play out his last few years as back-up catcher  with the WSox..

I can't see the Sox relying on Collins or losing him as a trade chip.

Edited by tray

3 hours ago, tray said:

severely diminishes a key component.

Perhaps  TLaR will now call Yadier Molina to see if he wants to play out his last few years as back-up catcher  with the WSox..

I can't see the Sox relying on Collins or losing him as a trade chip.

Agreed, for this assuming McCann is gone

Collins can't get significant PT on a championship caliber team unfortunately

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Orlando said:

Please stop. Grandal is a top 2 catcher in baseball period. Do some research. Look up some advanced stats. Stop it.

There is no planet in this solar system where a defender like Grandal is a top-2 catcher in the league.

You're just breathing in all that hot air from fartgraphs.  I don't need to inhale, I can smell it from a distance.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Remember 2019 when James McCann was an All-Star... look at his 2nd half numbers. James is a great person, excellent defensive C, works great with Giolito. However, he is not a long term solution as a starting C. If the Mets sign him for 4 years, they will regret it. He's the perfect compliment. He does best when he's playing sparingly, he proved that in 2019. s

1st half 2019: .316/.371/.502

2nd half 2019: .226/.281/.413

Having him at C and Calhoun in RF, we would all be saying we need to improve in both of those areas right now. 

I don't like Grandal's defense behind the plate, which is why I would like to sign Tyler Flowers as a back up, but his bat is good and hopefully with Tony, he won't be smelling the 2,3,4, or 5 spots in the batting order! 

Flowers would be on my shortlist as well.

10 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Agreed, for this assuming McCann is gone

Collins can't get significant PT on a championship caliber team unfortunately

If the plan is to have Collins assume the roles that McCann played  that will be a significant downgrade in several areas.

Maybe the Sox really are considering Yadi as a back-up.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:40 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Higher WAR based on what?  Grandal put up more fWAR in 2019 than McCann did in 2019 & 2020 combined.  If you’re looking at bWAR, then you’re completely ignoring framing which is a big piece of what Grandal brings to the table.  And let’s not ignore the massive track record Yasmani has with the bat whereas James has only recently shown signs of being more than a platoon bat.  It’s possible that McCann suddenly is a star hitter, but I’d wager lots of money he is line for some serious regression if used as a starting catcher.

What good is pulling in a couple extra strikes when pitchers overall perform more poorly with him behind the plate. Framing, vastly overrated component of the catchers game, primarily because it is vastly more measurable than the others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Vulture said:

What good is pulling in a couple extra strikes when pitchers overall perform more poorly with him behind the plate. Framing, vastly overrated component of the catchers game, primarily because it is vastly more measurable than the others.

I 100% agree that WAR in general is a flawed stat for catchers, but ignoring parts that can actually be measured like framing makes it even worse.

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's hard to put a price tag on a happy pitching staff.  

Pitchers love throwing to JT Realmuto. I understand the arguments for McCann over Grandal even though I’ll never agree. I don’t think McCann is a guy that should be playing 120+ times per year though. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 12:13 PM, YourWhatHurts said:

There is no planet in this solar system where a defender like Grandal is a top-2 catcher in the league.

You're just breathing in all that hot air from fartgraphs.  I don't need to inhale, I can smell it from a distance.

Anyone who still says Grandal is a top 2 catcher. I would have to assume they read stats, but rarely actually watch baseball games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Pitchers love throwing to JT Realmuto. I understand the arguments for McCann over Grandal even though I’ll never agree. I don’t think McCann is a guy that should be playing 120+ times per year though. 

They must be planning on signing Bauer and Springer.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Anyone who still says Grandal is a top 2 catcher. I would have to assume they read stats, but rarely actually watch baseball games.

People who are saying he’s a top 2 catcher (and to be clear, I have not said this) are considering both his offense and defense.  Some of you might not like his hitting profile, but he’s without question one of the best offensive catchers in the game.  He’s also one of the best framers.  Yes, there are parts of his defensive game that are below average, but I 100% believe people are overreacting to a handful of dumb plays when they make statements like this.  I watched most games and shook my head a few times, but he’s not this butcher that people are making him out to be.  And yes, I fully acknowledge that McCann probably calls a better game, but I don’t think that means all our pitchers despise throwing to him.