Official: McCann is a Met, $40/4 years

Buehrle>Wood

On 12/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, tray said:

I doubt Mark Buehrle would have cheated like Keuchel did.  That was a pretty outrageous cheating scheme that others paid a price for while Keuchel walked away from it unscathed.

So where is the part that they were banging on the garbage can to help the Astro pitchers?  Keuchel probably had some decent run support due to it, but its not like it helped him with his pitching.  

I wanted McCann signed earlier when the Sox  probably could have  gotten him  to agree to a 3 year contract. He is going for 4 years with the Mets and he will probably get it.    Mets seem to be in on a lot of the top FA. Maybe they will get Bauer or Springer as well.

Wish him the best,

White Sox $ would have been better spent on McCann resulting an actual second catcher on the team, than a fourth OFer like Adam Eaton and 120+ games of Grandal squatting behind home plate. Unless Tony plans on signing Molina to go with Wainright, Lynn, Eaton and dare I type Pujols.

Good for him.  He deserves a longer term deal.  It'll be interesting to see how he performs as the primary catcher.  Remember we saw two different guys, offensively, in 2019.  However, what he does behind the plate for the pitching staff easily makes up for any offensive liabilities.  Regardless, the Mets are getting a great catcher and a great guy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

He wanted to start and is going to get paid as such, neither of which was going to happen here. Hahn didn't "blow it" as much as James played himself out of here, and good for James. 

Two years ago many of us were calling for him to be extended before it became obvious to all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Two years ago many of us were calling for him to be extended before it became obvious to all.

Second half of 2019 was a disaster and that sealed his fate. He was good last year but in a limited and hand picked role. Best of luck to him, but Grandal still has way more upside the next couple of years. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

As SonofaRoache pointed out, James' second half reverted back to his career numbers, and it made sense to let it play out and see if his production was an aberration or not. Signing Grandal sealed his fate, but James played well in limited opportunities last season. Hopefully he's able to keep it up moving forward, but it would've been somewhat foolish at the time to over commit to someone who, for most of their career up until that point, had been bad. I would've loved if he would've returned, but it just wasn't going to happen and it was obvious. The Sox have/had other holes to fill, and prioritizing paying a backup catcher really wasn't one of those. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Second half of 2019 was a disaster and that sealed his fate. He was good last year but in a limited and hand picked role. Best of luck to him, but Grandal still has way more upside the next couple of years. 

He weakened the second half of 2019 but the term "disaster" doesn't fit the crime.  Catcher is such a taxing position I favor the co-catcher system.  I'm sure Grandal is the superior choice when all is considered, but James could have been kept in the Sox harness along with Grandal for a third of Grandals money if extended a year ago.