Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

Title says it all - which players would you like to see extended and what kind of financial framework to you envision being required?

The top two guys will likely be Lucas Gioito and Lance Lynn and for me it’s no different.  With three year of control left, I think it’s now or never time with Giolito.  Buying out a year or two of free agency would be huge and I’d look to start with Aaron Nola’s 4/$45M extension as a starting but would be prepared go sweeter than that.  In a perfect world, I’d say something like 4/$50M in guaranteed money plus a club option at like $23M for the 2025 season.  I believe that means Lucas would hit feee agency at 31, so perhaps that 5th year will be a bit of hang-up, but it’s definitely what I’d shoot for. 

As for Lynn, a two year extension beyond the 2021 season is what makes the most sense to me.  No idea what he might cost though as there aren’t a ton of great comps.  As good as Lynn has been, he’s not getting Verlander’s 2/$66M extension, but something like 2/$40M seems way too light IMO.  Does 2/$50M work?  Is that too much rich?  Again, no idea here but he‘s going to want a nice sized AAV if he agrees to forgoe free agency.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Title says it all - which players would you like to see extended and what kind of financial framework to you envision being required?

The top two guys will likely be Lucas Gioito and Lance Lynn and for me it’s no different.  With three year of control left, I think it’s now or never time with Giolito.  Buying out a year or two of free agency would be huge and I’d look to start with Aaron Nola’s 4/$45M extension as a starting but would be prepared go sweeter than that.  In a perfect world, I’d say something like 4/$50M in guaranteed money plus a club option at like $23M for the 2025 season.  I believe that means Lucas would hit feee agency at 31, so perhaps that 5th year will be a bit of hang-up, but it’s definitely what I’d shoot for. 

As for Lynn, a two year extension beyond the 2021 season is what makes the most sense to me.  No idea what he might cost though as there aren’t a ton of great comps.  As good as Lynn has been, he’s not getting Verlander’s 2/$66M extension, but something like 2/$40M seems way too light IMO.  Does 2/$50M work?  Is that too much rich?  Again, no idea here but he‘s going to want a nice sized AAV if he agrees to forgoe free agency.

2/35 for Lynn seems right, but I still think I would rather see him for a few months before extending him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

2/40 is perfect for Lynn. At his age his open market value will be lower than others and I bet he will take less to win a championship/stick with this winning team. 
I think Hahn could even say 3/50 and we will rip up this years 9mil deal and that would work.  IMO you HAVE to lock him up to justify the Dunning cost and "Window open" years

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

2/40 is perfect for Lynn. At his age his open market value will be lower than others and I bet he will take less to win a championship/stick with this winning team. 
I think Hahn could even say 3/50 and we will rip up this years 9mil deal and that would work. 

I’d love your 3/$50M idea

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

2/35 for Lynn seems right, but I still think I would rather see him for a few months before extending him.

If he’s willing to take 2/$35M I think you just go ahead and do it.  Obviously there’s risk at his age, but he looked great last year in the starts I watched and even with some regression I think he’s easily worth that contract.

I would like to see Lynn on a 2 year deal. I would love to see Giolito get extended but hearing Dan Zymborski talk on the Sox Machine podcast about how advance stats and projections basically put Giolito as a 10 pitcher in baseball makes me feel like it would take a massive deal. He said ZIPs projects Giolito to be worth an astronomical amount and I’m pretty sure Giolito is the type of guy who knows his worth and maximize it. I’m not hopeful for a Giolito extension.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I would like to see Lynn on a 2 year deal. I would love to see Giolito get extended but hearing Dan Zymborski talk on the Sox Machine podcast about how advance stats and projections basically put Giolito as a 10 pitcher in baseball makes me feel like it would take a massive deal. He said ZIPs projects Giolito to be worth an astronomical amount and I’m pretty sure Giolito is the type of guy who knows his worth and maximize it. I’m not hopeful for a Giolito extension.

Keuchel and Lynn will be off the books in 2023 (assuming Lynn extension). They will still have years of Kopech/Crochet left and one of Kelley/Dahlquist/Thompson should be forcing themselves into the rotation by 2023/24, so they will have cost control options also. 
Cease is the guy you let walk, even if he figures it out. Plus, all the money from the back to back titles should pay for the contract...

Edited by EloyJenkins

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Keuchel and Lynn will be off the books in 2023 (assuming Lynn extension). They will still have years of Kopech/Crochet left and one of Kelley/Dahlquist/Thompson should be forcing themselves into the rotation by 2023/24, so they will have cost control options also. 
Cease is the guy you let walk, even if he figures it out. Plus, all the money from the back to back titles should pay for the contract...

I wish bro! Cease is the guy they will sell you as being good enough to take over for Giolito like they did with Danks and Beurhle.

47 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It's nice and all when you put it that way, but looking at the otherside from the player's prespective... if they could get a huge contract right now that foregoes any risk of injury or decline. 

White Sox could make a very compelling contract extension to Giolito that would set him up for life... even if he does forego the huge paycheck.

Everyone wants to re-sign Giolito but given his age after an extension I just don't see it happening. The Sox would have to pay open market value to sign him and they don't do those types of things. We just have to accept he's gone after 2023 and hope that Kopech/Crochet develop into that ace to replace him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone wants to re-sign Giolito but given his age after an extension I just don't see it happening. The Sox would have to pay open market value to sign him and they don't do those types of things. We just have to accept he's gone after 2023 and hope that Kopech/Crochet develop into that ace to replace him. 

He has two to three more years of a deal to cover before he hits free agency.  There is no reason to think something like a 4 to 5 year deal can't be worked out.  No it won't be as cheap as the guys who sign right away, but it will still contain potential for cost savings as well as keeping him off of the open market.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I completely disagree with you on Giolito. He’s never going to turn down the right guaranteed money if you add a year or two on top of the 3 years the Sox  have him for. Hahn is great at negotiating team options at the end of the deals.

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Like 1