Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

On 12/31/2020 at 7:30 PM, fathom said:

I think his awful 2020 is enough for them to take it off the table

Sox offered Cease an extension before he pitched in the MLB.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:43 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

Why would we extend a RH first baseman now when we have 7 years of control already? 

Well the Sox extended both Eloy and Robert when they had a potential for 7 years of control already. 

On 1/1/2021 at 2:43 AM, SoCalChiSox said:

Why would we extend a RH first baseman now when we have 7 years of control already? 

First basemen are overpaid in arbitration. Extending him now could make his arb years cheaper in exchange for certainty for him plus maybe you get an additional year.

This would also increase his trade value if you want to trade him towards the end of the window because trade value of first basemen in the final two arb years is low due to their high arb salary.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I do not understand a Lynn extension.  PPlease be Vaughn.  Don't let me down Harry

What’s your issue with a Lynn extension?  Dude has been excellent the last two years and is looking at one last payday.  Your best chance to get him at an affordable rate is right now.  I’d definitely love something like 2/$40M that locks him up through the 2023 season.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s your issue with a Lynn extension?  Dude has been excellent the last two years and is looking at one last payday.  Your best chance to get him at an affordable rate is right now.  I’d definitely love something like 2/$40M that locks him up through the 2023 season.

I would be fine with it, especially if only 2 years.. But why not try to go year to year with a 34 year old player?  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would be fine with it, especially if only 2 years.. But why not try to go year to year with a 34 year old player?  

I think I agree with this. I also think that the org is planning on a work stoppage after this season. I also think that Lynn hasn't been as careful to take care of his body as others. So, I think his age-related regression will be more dramatic than other players that have taken care of their bodies over the course of their careers.

So, from that perspective, extending a 34 year old makes much less sense.

For me, I hope Harold's eyes are about a Giolito or Vaughn extension.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Well wouldn’t we be bidding against 29 other teams in that scenario?  Do you really see the Sox offering Lynn the most for 1 year?

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Well wouldn’t we be bidding against 29 other teams in that scenario?  Do you really see the Sox offering Lynn the most for 1 year?

Bidding war, or also the chance that he blows and isn't worth a 2/40 year deal.  I'll take my chances on an older starter, on a new team, with new found success.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Not even sure I’d go one with him for $20M, and two years is absurd with their other commitments unless they are planning to permanently raise payroll by the same amount. 

$125M Payroll, over half (57%) with that deal to four players in their 30s the next two seasons with the discussed Lynn deal in this thread:

• Keuchel $20M
  • Lynn $20M
  • Grandal $18.3M
  • Hendricks $13M

The Sox have two great rotation options their frittering away in the bullpen. It will be worse than the Cubs being stuck with Lester, Hayward, Kimbrel last year. No other significant signings or trades can be made.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not even sure I’d go one with him for $20M, and two years is absurd with their other commitments unless they are planning to permanently raise payroll by the same amount. 

$125M Payroll, over half (57%) with that deal to four players in their 30s the next two seasons with the discussed Lynn deal in this thread:

• Keuchel $20M
  • Lynn $20M
  • Grandal $18.3M
  • Hendricks $13M

The Sox have two great rotation options their frittering away in the bullpen. It will be worse than the Cubs being stuck with Lester, Hayward, Kimbrel last year. No other significant signings or trades can be made.

It certainly wouldn't be worst than the cubs by any means.  Those 3 cubs players are absolute shit stank garbage.  The 4 sox players are still very much productive. 

32 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

• Keuchel $20M
  • Lynn $20M
  • Grandal $18.3M
  • Hendricks $13M

The payroll isn’t sticking at $125M, it will certainty shoot up $150M in the next year or so.  And what else are we spending our money on?  If Cespedes ends up being the the answer in RF (obviously remains to be seen), then the only real spot to invest in is the rotation.  Give a me a rotation of Giolito, Lynn, Kopech, Cease, & Keuchel in 2022 with Crochet being stretched out in AAA to start the year.  That could be an insane rotation to go along with an insane lineup and insane bullpen.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The payroll isn’t sticking at $125M, it will certainty shoot up $150M in the next year or so.  And what else are we spending our money on?  If Cespedes ends up being the the answer in RF (obviously remains to be seen), then the only real spot to invest in is the rotation.  Give a me a rotation of Giolito, Lynn, Kopech, Cease, & Keuchel in 2022 with Crochet being stretched out in AAA to start the year.  That could be an insane rotation to go along with an insane lineup and insane bullpen.

Why would we not just stretch out Crochet now?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It's a little hard to figure out the exact arb numbers because some guys (Lopez) might not be kept, but assuming they keep Giolito, Lopez, Fry, Marshall, Engel, they're somewhere in the $125-$130m range in 2022, without Lynn (and without any RF addition). So, keeping Lynn = already at $150 million.