Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Weird that Jerry thinks he has to drag out his mouthpiece for this one.  

Wait, are you saying Jerry is using Bob as some kind of ploy to start the negotiations, or that Jerry is slow playing Bob on how far along the talks are?

6 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

a Vaughn extension would be nice, a Giolito extension would be amazing. 

And both would be freaking awesome.

One of the foodie accounts on Twitter said something along the lines of Vaughn's deal being all but done and should be announced soon.

48 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

And both would be freaking awesome.

One of the foodie accounts on Twitter said something along the lines of Vaughn's deal being all but done and should be announced soon.

Fwiw, that’s the kind of guess you’d make right now if your account was just spouting BS with no real access and you wanted to build credibility by getting things right anyway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Weird that Jerry thinks he has to drag out his mouthpiece for this one.  

I just think he threw Bob a bone. He can't gain any edge through the press. Giolito holds all the power. He doesn't have to sign an extension. He doesn't have to give JR a discount. The fact is JR will have to pay market rate, or really close to it to get Gio to sign. I really question whether he is willing to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just think he threw Bob a bone. He can't gain any edge through the press. Giolito holds all the power. He doesn't have to sign an extension. He doesn't have to give JR a discount. The fact is JR will have to pay market rate, or really close to it to get Gio to sign. I really question whether he is willing to do that.

Agreed. Gio has publicly said "I know what I'm worth" on multiple occasions and has given the impression that he intends to get it. Not that he's out there as a mercenary scraping to get every penny, just that he knows he's good and deserves a fair deal - no discounts.

For that reason, I've thought he's the least likely to sign, given what you said about questioning JR's willingness to do that. Would love to be proven wrong here, though.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

A Giolito extension eases the JR cheapness narrative as long a Lynn is locked up as well. 

There is no reason a potential Lynn extension should factor into extending Giolito.

Sox should not be moving to extend Lynn or Marshall in my opinion. They have so many guys locked up. Lynn is a deal now and he's in his 30's. All the risk is on the Sox extending him. We have Gio/Keuchel moving forward. Let's see what we have in Cease/Kopech/Rodon/Crochet and evaluate if we want to extend Lynn next offseason.

Marshall is so cheap and under control for 2 years. While he's been incredible, he's a crafty righty on the wrong side of thirty with a dumpy body who gets by on his craftiness and incredible sequencing. Why guarantee him more money? To potentially save a 2-3 million if he keeps pitching at this pace? I'll take my chances.

Gio should be the priority.

Vaughn I want to lock up before he becomes the best first baseman in the AL.

Heuer, if something like Bummer's deal was agreed upon, would be great.

Marshall/Lynn - let's not get cute. Our owner doesn't spend enough to take unnecessary risks on righties in their 30's with beer bellies. The upside just isn't there.  

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There is no reason a potential Lynn extension should factor into extending Giolito.

Sox should not be moving to extend Lynn or Marshall in my opinion. They have so many guys locked up. Lynn is a deal now and he's in his 30's. All the risk is on the Sox extending him. We have Gio/Keuchel moving forward. Let's see what we have in Cease/Kopech/Rodon/Crochet and evaluate if we want to extend Lynn next offseason.

Marshall is so cheap and under control for 2 years. While he's been incredible, he's a crafty righty on the wrong side of thirty with a dumpy body who gets by on his craftiness and incredible sequencing. Why guarantee him more money? To potentially save a 2-3 million if he keeps pitching at this pace? I'll take my chances.

Gio should be the priority.

Vaughn I want to lock up before he becomes the best first baseman in the AL.

Heuer, if something like Bummer's deal was agreed upon, would be great.

Marshall/Lynn - let's not get cute. Our owner doesn't spend enough to take unnecessary risks on righties in their 30's with beer bellies. The upside just isn't there.  

Couldn't agree more on every single one of these.