Extensions You’d Like to See

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Horrible news for a Giolito extension.. If I were Gio I'd ask for double. Lance Mccullers cant stay healthy and isn't even close the pitcher to Gio. wowza.

McCullers was on his last year of arb-eligibility, very different from Giolito. Effectively a 5/$85 deal for him is a 4/$79 extension. 

If Giolito is this level of pitcher in 2 seasons, then his extension would be Cole-level. 

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Assuming Vaughn were to sign an 8 year deal, he's giving up 1 year of FA control, so the extension is the difference between FA at age 30 vs 31. That one isn't a huge difference unless he gets hurt or falls apart during that last year. To get a $40 million guarantee - that's a pretty straightforward and logical move for him.

If he is an elite player 1 year can cost him 25-30 mil. 

9 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

But we are talking 35m in arb plus 30m= 75m vs 44 guaranteed. 

That is quite a difference, especially for a guy who had like an 8m signing bonus. 

Except the $44 guaranteed also includes options that bring it up to $78 million. 

WHITE SOX: See you in the ALCS

For the first time in franchise history, the White Sox will reach the playoffs in consecutive seasons. But getting to the playoffs is not enough for this group. They have the offensive excellence throughout their lineup to offset the key loss of Eloy Jiménez, who could return near the end of the 2021 campaign. If they need to make an outside addition, general manager Rick Hahn said there’s financial room to maneuver, and those maneuvers might come well before the Trade Deadline. The bullpen figures to be one of the best in baseball and the starting staff looks strong one through six, with the return of Carlos Rodón and Michael Kopech. All of these facts translate into a chance for the White Sox to emerge as one of the final two AL teams. -- Scott Merkin

Giolito only having 3 years left definitely feels like the Sox are in a window to win with him. Trevor Bauer just broke the AAV record and Gerrit Cole signed a contract for over 300M. Both of those deals are realistically going to be in play for him if he's healthy as a free agent. This felt like the time to get an extension done and it's disappointing the Sox (likely) weren't able to do it.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Giolito only having 3 years left definitely feels like the Sox are in a window to win with him. Trevor Bauer just broke the AAV record and Gerrit Cole signed a contract for over 300M. Both of those deals are realistically going to be in play for him if he's healthy as a free agent. This felt like the time to get an extension done and it's disappointing the Sox (likely) weren't able to do it.

Very disappointing on Lucas shows the Sox are completely cheap , but Vaughn could have been signed. Totally different category but he could have been locked up.   

9 minutes ago, quickman said:

Very disappointing on Lucas shows the Sox are completely cheap , but Vaughn could have been signed. Totally different category but he could have been locked up.   

Almost no one has signed an extension across the majors this ST.  Seems everyone wants to wait for new CBA.

On 3/28/2021 at 5:56 PM, Pal said:

Not sure what the deal is. Sorry I got hopes up with Vaughn.

No apology necessary in my case. I try to never believe rumors. I was thinking like the Sox probably were and others  thinking  it was likely to happen . An extension for a guy who only completed a low level of the minors would be pretty unprecedented and I doubted the Sox would have offered much because of that despite the high praise he got in summer camp. I just thought he was going to get low balled.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

One positive with only five playoff spots is that it eliminates another 6-8 teams (if not 10) from competition earlier and makes it much more likely the Sox could pick up a pitcher in his last three years or pending FA and extend them (due to uncertainty over CBA) to make up for potential loss of GIOLITO. 

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No apology necessary in my case. I try to never believe rumors. I was thinking like the Sox probably were and others  thinking  it was likely to happen . An extension for a guy who only completed a low level of the minors would be pretty unprecedented and I doubted the Sox would have offered much because of that despite the high praise he got in summer camp. I just thought he was going to get low balled.

Not sure he got low balled (probably did). But SEEMS he is betting on himself. Should be a good thing.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/extensiontracker

The only deal out there for a young 1B is Evan White with the Mariners, 6 years/$24 million.

Preceding that, you have Jon Singleton's with the Astros that went bust.

Clearly LF and 1B/DH are not among the priority early extension positions.

For the White deal, there were 3 club option years tacked on...essentially buying out the first three years of FA as well.

White, fwiw, was ONLY the #58 top prospect on the Top 100 list.

The Mariners are locking down their first baseman of the future -- and potentially making him their first baseman of the present in the process.
No. 58 overall prospectEvan White is expected to sign a six-year, $24 million contract with the Mariners, according to MLB.com's Jim Callis. The deal would also include three club options and is expected to be announced Monday. (Update: the contract was officially announced by Seattle on Monday.)

The length of the deal buys out all of White's pre-arbitration and arbitration years, and the club options, if picked up, would cover his first three years of free agency. Terms of the options were not included in the initial report. 
For White, the upside is that he locks in at least $24 million in guaranteed money, immediately gets added to the 40-man roster and doesn't have to worry about service-time requirements that often delay Major League debuts. The upside for the Mariners is that they lock in a Top-100 prospect for an average of $4 million over the next six seasons. That could be a bargain given what talented players make in arbitration. Of course, there is always the possibility of White not living up to his ceiling -- like Jon Singleton with the Astros after signing a similar deal earlier this decade -- but the organization has decided this is a risk worth taking, given the potentially massive savings.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mariners/evan-white-23226/

2026-28 club options worth $10 million, $11 million and $12.5 million respectively.  Up to $4 million in buyouts, should they choose not to exercise any of them.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/extensiontracker

The only deal out there for a young 1B is Evan White with the Mariners, 6 years/$24 million.

Preceding that, you have Jon Singleton's with the Astros that went bust.

Clearly LF and 1B/DH are not among the priority early extension positions.

For the White deal, there were 3 club option years tacked on...essentially buying out the first three years of FA as well.

White, fwiw, was ONLY the #58 top prospect on the Top 100 list.

The Mariners are locking down their first baseman of the future -- and potentially making him their first baseman of the present in the process.
No. 58 overall prospectEvan White is expected to sign a six-year, $24 million contract with the Mariners, according to MLB.com's Jim Callis. The deal would also include three club options and is expected to be announced Monday. (Update: the contract was officially announced by Seattle on Monday.)

The length of the deal buys out all of White's pre-arbitration and arbitration years, and the club options, if picked up, would cover his first three years of free agency. Terms of the options were not included in the initial report. 
For White, the upside is that he locks in at least $24 million in guaranteed money, immediately gets added to the 40-man roster and doesn't have to worry about service-time requirements that often delay Major League debuts. The upside for the Mariners is that they lock in a Top-100 prospect for an average of $4 million over the next six seasons. That could be a bargain given what talented players make in arbitration. Of course, there is always the possibility of White not living up to his ceiling -- like Jon Singleton with the Astros after signing a similar deal earlier this decade -- but the organization has decided this is a risk worth taking, given the potentially massive savings.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mariners/evan-white-23226/

2026-28 club options worth $10 million, $11 million and $12.5 million respectively.  Up to $4 million in buyouts, should they choose not to exercise any of them.

Evan White’s extension was from 2019.